Christmas eve?

If you read the OP, he and a coworker (gossip) were discussing having the Xmas eve off. The sup ( the official word on the matter) said be prepared to brown up. End of story. Hate it all you want, argue your point on "it`s a holiday to my family" all you want, the fact of the matter is package car has traditionally worked on Xmas eve.

I will be working Mon and Tue of this week to support you my package car brothers. When I return from feeder break on the 3rd of `11 I will do my best to make sure the loads get to your center on time so you can start off the new year right.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
If you are paid before Dec. 31st it will go on 2010.

What I figure...so it may be a good thing getting paid for 54 weeks in 2010 and only 50 in 2011 since whats left of us middle classers will most likely have pay the piper in 2011/2012 for the upper class so they can continue to "trickle down" their wealth as they have historically done since the days of Robber-barons....:surprised:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you already figuring your taxes?

Yes.

Will the two vacation checks I receive on the 24th (one will be a week late) count towards 2010 earnings or 2011 earnings?

Good question--I would think 2010 but don't quote me on that..

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
A quick way to find out is to look and your 'year to date' when you get your pay advices. I would bet it is included in 2010.

satellitedriver

Are you already figuring your taxes?
Will the two vacation checks I receive on the 24th (one will be a week late) count towards 2010 earnings or 2011 earnings?
They are 2010 earnings.
Vacations pay is earned in the prior year-(2009)-, due to hours worked
, and the compensation is distributed in 2010.
The taxes will be based on the 2010 distribution of funds.
Example;
If I work until October 31, 2011, I have earned the next year's vacation weeks.
I retire on Nov 1st.
In 2012 I will receive a check for 5 weeks of pay that will be applied to my 2012 tax obligation.
Many retiree's use this as a way to miss peak and get a check for the New Year.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
A quick way to find out is to look and your 'year to date' when you get your pay advices. I would bet it is included in 2010.
That's what I figure..it will balance out all the "r" days I took during the rest of the year. Next tax year(2012) will be based on a 50 week work rear and put me in a lower tax bracket hopefully (when Uncle Sam will let the Bush era tax cuts expire:dissapointed:).

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
They are 2010 earnings.
Vacations pay is earned in the prior year-(2009)-, due to hours worked
, and the compensation is distributed in 2010.
The taxes will be based on the 2010 distribution of funds.
Example;
If I work until October 31, 2011, I have earned the next year's vacation weeks.
I retire on Nov 1st.
In 2012 I will receive a check for 5 weeks of pay that will be applied to my 2012 tax obligation.
Many retiree's use this as a way to miss peak and get a check for the New Year.

Thanks, for me however; these 2 weeks will be vacation time earned in 2010,
My vacation anniversary(for better or worse) is 12/23.
When I am eligible to retire in a few more years, I will have to work that last peak...
But am working on accumulating 30 sick pay days(easier said than done) and combining that with my 6 weeks vacation and floaters to get me past my 52nd birthday in March to reach PEER 80 or more...depends on what the future holds and how I feel...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We don't have the option of accumulating sick or personal days--any remaining are cashed out on or about Dec. 15. This has never been an issue for me as the latest I have ever had days left is September.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Ours are January to December.

Our sick pay accumulates on our full time hire date. Our Vacations accumulate on our adjusted full time anniversary(if one was never part time then it would be their hire date). Our FHPs are acquired every January.

My company seniority is in May(when I was hired pt)
My sick pay anniversary is July(when I stared driving a year later)
My vacation anniversary is Dec(my adjusted "time served" from pt-ft)
My center seniority anniversary is Sept(I transferred to a new hub)

Now, if I could only remember my Wedding anniversary:laughing:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
First off, getting an opportunity to become a fulltime driver has everything to do with seniority and nothing to do with merit. A call in would not have anything to do with his number coming up.

Secondly, had he been told all along that he had to work I would agree, go to work.
But to come in and be told he didn't have to work,only be told later after making plans with his family that he indeed did have to work, puts him to a decision.

At this juncture it's a part time job, not a career.
Not everybody bleeds brown.
I would have to disagre,,those who don't play ball will be on "The Empires" naughty list...they could easily flunk you for any little thing when his day comes up for pkg car !! We all know the games they play...show up kid!!! This is ups not Walgreens!!!

browniehound

Last night when I went into work my ft supervisor came up to me and handed me a paper and of course I look down on it and it says, "ALL AIR DRIVERS AND SATURDAY AIR DRIVERS YOU WILL BE WORKING CHRISTMAS EVE DO NOT MAKE PLANS." and it figures that I have plans to go out to dinner with my family that night.

:

Guy, plans with your family to go out to dinner? On Christmas Eve? Either you're jewish or a liar. If you're jewish it should be no big deal to work X-mas eve, just another friday night you're missing. If you're not jewish, where the heck are you going to go on X-mas eve for dinner. Chinese food or Chinese food?

You work at UPS, how could you make plans to for Christmas Eve???? Its almost like a football player wanting a day off on Superbowl Sunday when his team is in the game.

I don't mean to be cold-hearted but suck-it up, its what we do best a UPS.

Some things are a matter of duty. Teddy Roosevelt once gave an entire speech with a bullet lodged in his chest. LOL!

And just 2 short peaks ago it was exceptionally heavy. I met a driver at 530 and the poor bastard had 160 stops left. I wanted to go home to my mother's warm house and X-mas party, but how could I leave him out there ? I took half and felt good that I took away a lot of his pain. It got me into the "Christmas spirit".

Merry Christmas everyone.

browniehound

I usually take it. I have enough time to come home, shower, eat and then go to church. Then come home and watch Christmas Story on TBS.

Wow! I wouldn't want to be stuck at work and miss all that excitment!

Just kidding Upsman, it sounds like a very pleasant evening. Merry Christmas.