Christmas Eve

Goldilocks

Question, do Tuesday-Saturday employees have to work their day off, Monday Christmas Eve? What about PT Tuesday- Saturday Employees? Has the Policy changed on this? Thought PT employees did not have to work their day off.

A

Amigonnamakeit

I think you are right that PT people do not have to work if they don't want to. My brother was PT and he only would work his normal shift during peak and the managers hated that.

Maui

FT employees will be required to work as needed. PT employees can NOT be forced to work on what should be their normal day off. It is understood that PT employees may have other requirements that prevent them from altering their normal schedule.

During peak, Seniors and OPS managers may place all PT employees on the schedule so that it appears they have to work or it will count as an absence. However, if you are PT, then you can take your regularly scheduled time off. If you are scheduled and unable to make it in, then I would talk to the scheduling manager or the Senior to let them know that your life is based on having Mondays off and you are unable to alter your schedule. Since the schedule is usually posted by 1200 on the Wednesday prior I would let them know tomorrow or by Tuesday at the very latest. If there are any issues I would contact HR and possibly the MD.

The reaction of co-workers might be mixed though. Everybody is just trying to get through peak and wants to get home Xmas eve to be with their families. Some might applaud PT employees for taking a stand, but others might be resentful because it means more work for them. If you can make it but need to be off by a certain time, then I would let the scheduling manager know that too. That way you are helping out the other couriers but made it clear that you need to be off and can not take additional stops.

I want to repeat that PT can not be forced to change their shifts to accommodate FedEx, not even at peak.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Yes to the first question.

As for part timers however, not sure.

My guess is if they pushed it then policy would still be on their (the employees) side.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FT employees will be required to work as needed. PT employees can NOT be forced to work on what should be their normal day off. It is understood that PT employees may have other requirements that prevent them from altering their normal schedule.

During peak, Seniors and OPS managers may place all PT employees on the schedule so that it appears they have to work or it will count as an absence. However, if you are PT, then you can take your regularly scheduled time off. If you are scheduled and unable to make it in, then I would talk to the scheduling manager or the Senior to let them know that your life is based on having Mondays off and you are unable to alter your schedule. Since the schedule is usually posted by 1200 on the Wednesday prior I would let them know tomorrow or by Tuesday at the very latest. If there are any issues I would contact HR and possibly the MD.

The reaction of co-workers might be mixed though. Everybody is just trying to get through peak and wants to get home Xmas eve to be with their families. Some might applaud PT employees for taking a stand, but others might be resentful because it means more work for them. If you can make it but need to be off by a certain time, then I would let the scheduling manager know that too. That way you are helping out the other couriers but made it clear that you need to be off and can not take additional stops.

I want to repeat that PT can not be forced to change their shifts to accommodate FedEx, not even at peak.

None of this will stop management from trying to make PTer's work, or otherwise pressuring them to break company rules...as long as they work in the favor of the company.

RTURNSONLY

Question, do Tuesday-Saturday employees have to work their day off, Monday Christmas Eve? What about PT Tuesday- Saturday Employees? Has the Policy changed on this? Thought PT employees did not have to work their day off.
The term "Operational Needs" comes to mind...

RTURNSONLY

"Operational Need" cannot be applied to part-timers...technically. Watch for this to change as Express goes basically PT.
Managers must be operating on a different set of rules at our station where anything goes. They do with everyone as they please, FTmers or not.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Probably because of a lack of senior couriers that help feed policy to newbies.
Without a fear of HR getting called ,a mostly newbie stations management violates policy and even legal issues until they eventually get fired....

RTURNSONLY

Actually, plenty of 20-25-28 years employees here. Management really, really, really sucks, they do all kind of stuff, while HR 9 out of 10 times, backs them up.

Maui

Managers must be operating on a different set of rules at our station where anything goes. They do with everyone as they please, FTmers or not.

Managers won't freely advertise that operational needs do not apply to PT. Scheduling is done so that it appears to be mandatory. Ask your manager or the senior if PT can be forced to work outside their scheduled shift. The answer is no. If a manager says otherwise they are ignorant or lying and need to be corrected by HR. Managers can ask; PT can say yes or no.

This policy can make it hard on managers to cover routes so they don't freely let people know. If hired as PT the hiring manager should outline the schedule and potential changes or variations, which can be up to 2 hours. Maybe that just happens in CA.

Ask for a copy of the latest employee handbook and a copy of the People Manual regarding employment status. Of course many PT employees would like to be FT so they take any and all hours they can. Management knows this too.

at our location the 4x10 are being asked to work a 5 day schedule so that they are available for sat.....thus giving up ot on their day off......so they can get more hours by working sat....but with that in mind...hr was called and informed the mgr that the 4x10 would have to sign a letter giving up their shift for the week....just a way for them to abuse us...and not have to pay us dbl time.....as thats what 4x10 would get on the 6th day....plus the station gets extra drivers...still not sure if we took it in the shorts or not

Maui

at our location the 4x10 are being asked to work a 5 day schedule so that they are available for sat.....thus giving up ot on their day off......so they can get more hours by working sat....but with that in mind...hr was called and informed the mgr that the 4x10 would have to sign a letter giving up their shift for the week....just a way for them to abuse us...and not have to pay us dbl time.....as thats what 4x10 would get on the 6th day....plus the station gets extra drivers...still not sure if we took it in the shorts or not

You should have at least two weeks notice and this would need to be permanent or voluntary. If they want you 6 days then you need to be paid double time. You can be forced to work but I would make sure I kept a copy of my time card and the electronic time card showing day off marked for both days you should be off. I would not sign the electronic copy without that. They need the bodies so you need to get paid appropriately.

vantexan

I've worked as a 4X10 at a number of stations that automatically converted us to 5X8's the full week before Christmas to avoid paying doubletime. What stinks is giving us 8 hrs on holidays because it wouldn't be fair to 5X8's to give us 10 hrs(although it's perfectly ok to short us on our check while they get their hrs). Then they turn around and make us 5X8's the one week we'd get 6 days even though they use getting doubletime on a 6th day as a selling point to get people to become 4X10's. This is just a BS job, working for a BS company. Merry Christmas!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've worked as a 4X10 at a number of stations that automatically converted us to 5X8's the full week before Christmas to avoid paying doubletime. What stinks is giving us 8 hrs on holidays because it wouldn't be fair to 5X8's to give us 10 hrs(although it's perfectly ok to short us on our check while they get their hrs). Then they turn around and make us 5X8's the one week we'd get 6 days even though they use getting doubletime on a 6th day as a selling point to get people to become 4X10's. This is just a BS job, working for a BS company. Merry Christmas!

I hear FedEx is changing over to be called "Smith & Marley". Just finished watching one of my favorite Christmas movies, A Christmas Carol, with Patrick Stewart. Scrooge, a man who sees only profit and lives only for his business. Kind of rings a bell, doesn't it?

b33nman

"Operational Need" cannot be applied to part-timers...technically. Watch for this to change as Express goes basically PT.

That's funny, considering we're not allowed to schedule Fridays off, Mondays off, or vacations when we want to. It's all a bid process and hope-to-god-you-get-it at good ole head quarters now.

Goldilocks

Thats just not right.

Goldilocks

None of this will stop management from trying to make PTer's work, or otherwise pressuring them to break company rules...as long as they work in the favor of the company.

Its called Managing by Intimidation. If a PT decides not to work Christmas Eve there will be a Big Target on their backs come January.

S

serenity now

I hear FedEx is changing over to be called "Smith & Marley". Just finished watching one of my favorite Christmas movies, A Christmas Carol, with Patrick Stewart. Scrooge, a man who sees only profit and lives only for his business. Kind of rings a bell, doesn't it?

check out the version where George C. Scott plays Scrooge / excellent