Christmas

dezguy

There's a volunteer sign up sheet where I work. I signed it. Ok, time and a half isn't double time. But it's more than I'd get otherwise. Besides, I'm a Jewish kid from New York so the holiday is secondary.
Good for you. This Catholic kid from Canada will be at home celebrating the holiday with his family.

People don't get it.

A century ago, our grandparents and great grandparents organized and fought for the right to have holidays off to celebrate and have time to spend with our families. Over the past 10-15 years, that has all started to be eroded away. I can't tell you how many stories I've heard of people having to postpone their Thanksgiving dinner to the next weekend because someone in the family was forced to work the holiday and that's just our Thanksgiving, so I'd imagine the same his happening down there.

Christmas is just the next step in the attempt to make it acceptable to schedule people to work all the major holidays. These corporations don't want you to have the day off.

While they're at home, enjoying the holiday our forefathers bled and died for, they'll expect you to be a good little drone and put in an 8 hour day. It sickens me.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Good for you. This Catholic kid from Canada will be at home celebrating the holiday with his family.

People don't get it.

A century ago, our grandparents and great grandparents organized and fought for the right to have holidays off to celebrate and have time to spend with our families. Over the past 10-15 years, that has all started to be eroded away. I can't tell you how many stories I've heard of people having to postpone their Thanksgiving dinner to the next weekend because someone in the family was forced to work the holiday and that's just our Thanksgiving, so I'd imagine the same his happening down there.

Christmas is just the next step in the attempt to make it acceptable to schedule people to work all the major holidays. These corporations don't want you to have the day off.

While they're at home, enjoying the holiday our forefathers bled and died for, they'll expect you to be a good little drone and put in an 8 hour day. It sickens me.

If Fred had his way, there would be a full operation. Do not be surprised if Christmas is mandated this year. Prepare your religious exceptions now, because they're not going to be buying when you tell them how fervent you are in a couple of weeks.

I could care less, because I wouldn't come-in either. Write me a letter or OLCC me...I'll take the time with my family, thank you.

By the way, they're going to try it, perhaps in the form of a Christmas "incentive"...watch.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I worked a Christmas Day several years ago, when my kids were with their mother and I was single. Took out about 40 residential stops. The single most shocking thing about delivering to these folks was their lack of gratitude. "What the HELL are you doing working on Christmas Day?" was the common response when they answered their door. Very few thank you's, and not a single offer of hot chocolate or coffee, when it was below freezing outside. And this was in Texas!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I worked a Christmas Day several years ago, when my kids were with their mother and I was single. Took out about 40 residential stops. The single most shocking thing about delivering to these folks was their lack of gratitude. "What the HELL are you doing working on Christmas Day?" was the common response when they answered their door. Very few thank you's, and not a single offer of hot chocolate or coffee, when it was below freezing outside. And this was in Texas!
This whole idea of instant gratification started by next day delivery has turned many people into ungrateful bitches and bastards. Love to see those people try to do what we do if even for one 8 hour day.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I can just see the message from the manager Christmas morning "NO LATES - WE MUST HAVE 100% SERVICE." To quote someone here "FU Fred".

The other day we purposefully started late knowing that the frt. would be late but, during the morning meeting, what was the "focus item"? No lates! Yeah, great, start us 30 mins. late but, demand we get everything off on time.

dezguy

The other day we purposefully started late knowing that the frt. would be late but, during the morning meeting, what was the "focus item"? No lates! Yeah, great, start us 30 mins. late but, demand we get everything off on time.
We had a day, earlier this year where our flight arrived over an hour late and nearly every courier in the station was sent out over stop count. An hour before cutoff, we get a message from sta manager saying no lates, no dex 01's, no dex 84's.

I had already purposely been dragging ass all day for being sent out over stop count but as soon as I got that message, if I had been stopped I would have been moving quicker. Apparently, a lot of other guys did the same thing because when I got back, the no del area was already overflowing.