CHSP Committee Hourly Co-Chair Selection Process

How was the Hourly Co-Chair selected for your Safety Committee?

• Selected By Management

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Selected by the Hourly members of the committee

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

UnconTROLLed

perfection
there are a couple of viewpoints in this statement. yes, it is your personal life, you can do as you wish. and the vast majority of the drivers are mature enough to understand how a dui will affect their job and lives. not so much so with the part timers.

the drivers here are a pretty close nit group. some closer, some not so close. many have relationships that carry far past working together. and it is in that spirit of mentoring each other, and having each others back, that we know all we have to do is call another driver for a ride home.

after a fight to near death with uncle jack, i have been a permanent designated driver, as anything with alcohol has no interest for me.

d

The point was that shouldn't actual safety problems be addressed rather than some (lets be honest) useless flyers regarding drinking and driving? Isn't that why we have the committee to begin with, to address WORK safety issues?

If someone is going to drink and drive, 99.9% of the time people will do it regardless of how many times it is mentioned to NOT drink and drive.

Also, of course, should a bargaining unit member be paid to preach outside-of-work issues? which I can see both ways to a degree, but does peeve me.

over9five

Staff member
I agree with Sleeve. There are enough issues to focus on at work. Focusing on what we do after work is a huge invasion of our privacy, and none of their damn business.

Stran

Holy Toledo
Just had to respond to this...I am a steward for my driver group. I have been actively involved with the Safety Committee since their inception ( I was the only one smart enough to bring paper and pen to the first meeting thus becoming the Scribe) We have never really voted for the Chair it was always the employee who would take the responsibility. Membership in the Safety Committee is open to drivers who are willing to participate. I have personally walked the building (on several occasions) with the Ketter team while they were doing an Audit. When a safety issue is brought to our attention it is discussed at the monthly meeting. It is then noted on the monthy Action Plan and assigned to the appropriate management person for resolution. There is a 30 day window for the issue to be resolved or it becomes the Division Managers responsibility. I have yet to see any issue make it to the Division Manager. Should the Division Manager fail to resolve the issue it would become the responsibility of the District Manager. Each level of management is made aware of the issue as it is added to the action plan which are reviewed at weekly conference calls. I have sat in on the weekly District safety conference call in the past where the issues are discussed (by the assigned management person) and appropriate mangement assigned to assist in the resolution of the issue. The system works very well at least in my District. We have very active safety committees and Management involved in safety at all levels are exceptional.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Just had to respond to this...I am a steward for my driver group. I have been actively involved with the Safety Committee since their inception ( I was the only one smart enough to bring paper and pen to the first meeting thus becoming the Scribe) We have never really voted for the Chair it was always the employee who would take the responsibility. Membership in the Safety Committee is open to drivers who are willing to participate. I have personally walked the building (on several occasions) with the Ketter team while they were doing an Audit. When a safety issue is brought to our attention it is discussed at the monthly meeting. It is then noted on the monthy Action Plan and assigned to the appropriate management person for resolution. There is a 30 day window for the issue to be resolved or it becomes the Division Managers responsibility. I have yet to see any issue make it to the Division Manager. Should the Division Manager fail to resolve the issue it would become the responsibility of the District Manager. Each level of management is made aware of the issue as it is added to the action plan which are reviewed at weekly conference calls. I have sat in on the weekly District safety conference call in the past where the issues are discussed (by the assigned management person) and appropriate mangement assigned to assist in the resolution of the issue. The system works very well at least in my District. We have very active safety committees and Management involved in safety at all levels are exceptional.

Dear Stran,

This sounds like a system that works.

I am not familiar with the term Action Plan for employee concerns, the document that I am familiar with is called a Concerns Log.

Does the general rank and file employees feel the same as you do about the quality and the effectiveness of the safety committees in your facility?

Sincerely,

I

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i

the concerns log is where you identify issues

the action plan is where the issues are sorted and classified, and solutions to the issue are offered, and a deadline for solutions and recommendations are set.

both are to document issues, and to assure that items are not just forgotten and shelved.

issues that were brought up that are currently a serious hazard were communicated to the center manager within the hour for consideration of a solution. other items that were not

many times, if it is a severe issue, like the cords on the fans, they are immediately taken out of service, and the repair is scheduled as soon as possible, many times the same day.

other actions can also be taken to eliminate concerns on the log by the committee members and the management cochairs. in our building, and i believe our entire district, the safety committee has the ability to effect changes on their own.

case in point.

in our center, we had a real problem with package cars leaking oil onto the floor. couple that with water from the car wash, and it made for dangerous walking as they were brought in to unload.

instead of waiting for management to solve the problem on the concerns log, we came up with an action plan where there were buckets of absorb at both ends of the building with scoops inside. and enough people were dedicated to keeping the absorb on top of the oil spills that the center manager never even got involved.

so in this case, we identified the problem on the concerns log, wrote up an action plan, and implemented that plan successfully.

a good working relationship with the management team also helps in creating a honest communication program. our team knew that if we brought something to their attention, and there was no action, it would be elevated to the next level, including a safety grievance being filed. and they really dont want that, believe me.

as a result, the average attendance at our meetings were between 20-35+ drivers, the vast majority by choice.

when the workforce sees that the building management is serious, and the drivers see results of what can be done, the results speak for themselves.

d