CHSP safety committee background??? Anyone remember the details of the beginnings?

bettum

i got kicked out of being a safety member, was told by head boss name Scott something or another it takes two people to pull a M-1/A2n/l9 etc.. or any air container off a rack in an airhub/ramp (empty or not), in the safety meeting.That next safety meeting i said we do not have the man power to do so, the next week we were pulling air containers by our selfs again. So much for safety

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
i got kicked out of being a safety member, was told by head boss name Scott something or another it takes two people to pull a M-1/A2n/l9 etc.. or any air container off a rack in an airhub/ramp (empty or not), in the safety meeting.That next safety meeting i said we do not have the man power to do so, the next week we were pulling air containers by our selfs again. So much for safety
Kicked off the Safety Committee by who(m)????

bettum

Kicked off the Safety Committee by who(m)????

Safety meetings are a joke. we speak our mind , then we are criticized.. i will leave it at that bubble head......I am old school, i bet you never heard of a DC-8 that we use to load back in the day. With 18 air containers with an L-9 in tail of it , slipped in sideways.. you a young buck.... even 4 bellys in that beast

Last edited:
A

Article 3

Anyone with any information on what the cause of this was, please share.
Our CHSP guru told me that there were two incidents in NY that were the catalyst in forming the program.
#1. Allegedly, a NY pkg car driver in a metro area had a leaking pkg in his load that was emitting fumes. He was told to dispose of it and did so by throwing it into a sidewalk trash container.
The fumes drifted into a nearby restaurant causing patrons to get sick. It quickly became a major public health issue.
Strike one.
#2. Again, allegedly in NY a ups tractor/trailer caught fire from combustion of something loaded into the trailer as it was being transported over the road a made the (EPA?) news.

The settlement from repetitive transgressions allegedly birthed the CHSP Program.

I read that the HABITS initiative, 95-97 or so, was also precipitated from documented repetitive injuries company wide. Ergonomics was the new flavor of the moment and it was all ditched later....
probably after the committed time period expired.

DirtySouth

I always understood that the co chaired CHSP commitees came about because of OSHA fines totalling $1 million/day in the 1990s and they were part of the settlement.

A

Article 3

For what it's worth, the CHSP person who told me about the NY incidents also said that it would've been cheaper to just pay the fines.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
From the fact sheet linked by Dave:

• As a way to boost delivery drivers' awareness of backing, the safety committee in the Pacific Region's Desert Mountain District (New Mexico, Arizona and southern Nevada), and the Automotive group in the South California District (San Diego) created and refined a device that counts the number of times a package car is placed in reverse. The counters helped spur a contest to see which package division could achieve the biggest reduction in total backing maneuvers.

In my old center, the first package car that device was installed on was the one used by our most senior and safest driver at the time. The thought was, by tracking his backs and reporting them to the rest of us, that we would try to reduce our backs.

Unfortunately, the device recorded an inordinately high amount of backs. When this was brought out at a PCM, said driver pointed out to the management people who installed it that his car was an automatic, the only one in our center at that point.

The PCM sounded like a comedy show after that.

W

What The Hawk?

From the fact sheet linked by Dave:

• As a way to boost delivery drivers' awareness of backing, the safety committee in the Pacific Region's Desert Mountain District (New Mexico, Arizona and southern Nevada), and the Automotive group in the South California District (San Diego) created and refined a device that counts the number of times a package car is placed in reverse. The counters helped spur a contest to see which package division could achieve the biggest reduction in total backing maneuvers.

In my old center, the first package car that device was installed on was the one used by our most senior and safest driver at the time. The thought was, by tracking his backs and reporting them to the rest of us, that we would try to reduce our backs.

Unfortunately, the device recorded an inordinately high amount of backs. When this was brought out at a PCM, said driver pointed out to the management people who installed it that his car was an automatic, the only one in our center at that point.

The PCM sounded like a comedy show after that.
Interesting..

542thruNthru

Safety meetings are a joke. we speak our mind , then we are criticized.. i will leave it at that bubble head......I am old school, i bet you never heard of a DC-8 that we use to load back in the day. With 18 air containers with an L-9 in tail of it , slipped in sideways.. you a young buck.... even 4 bellys in that beast

Well to be fair you sound like you worked at a air hub. There is no reason he should know any of those things. Though I will say bubble head is a well informed person and it wouldn't surprise me if he did. The point that I believe he is trying to make (and I may be wrong) is management shouldn't be allowed to "kick" you off the safty committee and to be honest your teamster coworkers shouldn't have either if you were bringing up good points.

So after typing all that and knowing bubblehead, he might be calling BS on what you said.

(But I've been drinking a little too much tonight so I may be way off) ;)