Churches Judging Joel Osteen "On Topic Only"

Integrity

Binge Poster
I attend an Evangelical Christian church and I am troubled by some of the comments that I hear about Joel Osteen.

I hear really bad un-Christian like statements about him that just has not been my experience. I really like him and view his ministry as a solid Christian ministry.

Some of the negative comments even come from the Pastor of the church.

Any experiences, thoughts or opinions you'd like to share for discussion?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I attend an Evangelical Christian church and I am troubled by some of the comments that I hear about Joel Osteen.

I hear really bad un-Christian like statements about him that just has not been my experience. I really like him and view his ministry as a solid Christian ministry.

You and @BakerMayfield2018

Kindred spirits

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

What about the time he wouldn’t let folks into his church during a hurricane

Until the media shamed him into it

Sounds real Christian to me

Integrity

Binge Poster
What about the time he wouldn’t let folks into his church during a hurricane

Until the media shamed him into it

Sounds real Christian to me
It may have been an error in judgement but he did give what IMHO was a reasonable explanation to the situation.

The point is really that he did eventually help, even if it was just an error in judgement.

bbsam

Staff member
Everything I’ve heard is that he’s terrible.

If he’s truly about some kind of prosperity theology, I’d have to agree.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
70DA6EB7-DC33-49EA-9A76-3C2F2A58B8D1.gif

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I’m not taking the bait. Believe what you want. Live your life how you want. To me , he encourages me and gives me meaning in life and to do good to others and be a good person He puts me in a good mood like life is worth living. Hate all you want. It’s fine. It’s what America does. I get it. All I’m saying is if your ever down and out. Have no where to turn. Give him a listen. Peace out.

I’m not taking the bait. Believe what you want. Live your life how you want. To me , he encourages me and gives me meaning in life and to do good to others and be a good person He puts me in a good mood like life is worth living. Hate all you want. It’s fine. It’s what America does. I get it. All I’m saying is if your ever down and out. Have no where to turn. Give him a listen. Peace out.
Amen

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

Jealousy

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I wish I had it in me to be as slimy and despicable as Joel is and I’m an atheist.

If there’s a hell I think he has a special seat with the top dogs.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Would be nice if you were talking about Jesus and not Joel.

Star B

White Lightening
short version: Test his faith, tell him and his wife that it's only 40k/ each year till death, no "gifts" from the church/parishioners/book deals. Require that only basic needs of the church are recognized (and a multilevel stadium is NOT needed), fly commercially, and everything else goes back into community projects. Oh, and his savings and bonds and other MM$s he may have squirreled away, unavailable as the church clawed it back.

You'll see him giving up the Religion sctick and going into sales quite quickly. and he'll have the nerve to call it "A calling from God to change my ways".

I'm all for positive messages and encouragement.. and if that's your thing, good for you... but I have a massive problem with the whole prosperity gospel thing as I view it goes directly against the word...

tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?” Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:23-26

So, once again, live like Christ and help the poor and disadvantaged and won't worry about your private jets, MM$ houses, and huge book deals.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
short version: Test his faith, tell him and his wife that it's only 40k/ each year till death, no "gifts" from the church/parishioners/book deals. Require that only basic needs of the church are recognized (and a multilevel stadium is NOT needed), fly commercially, and everything else goes back into community projects. Oh, and his savings and bonds and other MM$s he may have squirreled away, unavailable as the church clawed it back.

You'll see him giving up the Religion sctick and going into sales quite quickly. and he'll have the nerve to call it "A calling from God to change my ways".

I'm all for positive messages and encouragement.. and if that's your thing, good for you... but I have a massive problem with the whole prosperity gospel thing as I view it goes directly against the word...

So, once again, live like Christ and help the poor and disadvantaged and won't worry about your private jets, MM$ houses, and huge book deals.
This.don’t have a problem with someone selling a message. Have a problem with someone selling it with religion as the front.