Clear with Dispatch or Die!

Doc Sorting Dude

We had to sign a form saying we will clear with dispatch before leaving assigned area. We have crr's who refuse to do this and head back to the station on their own terms. Hey, I know many of us have to get back to the station in a reasonable time to offload our Memphis stuff but from my experience dispatch usually "clears" within a minute after requesting one. Yes, I understand you might have to explain why you did'nt make that re-att but sometimes you have a good reason. Sometimes you just have to say "I didn't have time" clear and simple.

I tell them you want me to make a re-att or do you want all my Memphis to miss the outbound schuttle, let them make the call.

hypo hanna

That's the best way. Just tell him the truth, he will most likely clear you 9 times out of ten. He is under the same microscope we drivers are under. Not clearing only puts you in the crosshairs. If its a big issues he won't have any choice but to report it. He doesn't want that headache. It only leads to more emails and more reports while they try to fire you. Most thinking dispatchers don't want anything to do with that. Now screw around and make his life miserable by not communicating and you end up on his radar. For drivers like that, I wouldn't go out of my way to help his mgr punish him but I wasn't going to help him either.
Sitting in that chair there is a lot of leeway on what to report etc. bottom line is the driver that worked with me was the driver I covered for when I could.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We had to sign a form saying we will clear with dispatch before leaving assigned area. We have crr's who refuse to do this and head back to the station on their own terms. Hey, I know many of us have to get back to the station in a reasonable time to offload our Memphis stuff but from my experience dispatch usually "clears" within a minute after requesting one. Yes, I understand you might have to explain why you did'nt make that re-att but sometimes you have a good reason. Sometimes you just have to say "I didn't have time" clear and simple.

I tell them you want me to make a re-att or do you want all my Memphis to miss the outbound schuttle, let them make the call.

WAD. If you have to wait there 10 or 15 minutes to get cleared, simply do so. It isn't your problem, and as others have said, we are no longer supposed to think anyway. Just be a mushroom and sit there. Chances are good that dispatch is babysitting and handholding all of those new hires, so they won't be able to get back to you promptly. This is good...more wasted times and dollars. WAD is no longer odd, it's required.

bbsam

Staff member
What courier wants to just sit and wait? Yuck. I would think the "stake in the outcome" would wanting to be finished.

SmithBarney

I think the rule is more specifically targeting those crrs who finish early and typically high senority drivers
who sneak in and punch out, under 8hrs(we have a few at our STA) without willingness to help the surrounding routes
who may be in trouble.(breakdowns, heavy pups, etc.)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think the rule is more specifically targeting those crrs who finish early and typically high senority drivers
who sneak in and punch out, under 8hrs(we have a few at our STA) without willingness to help the surrounding routes
who may be in trouble.(breakdowns, heavy pups, etc.)

Maybe, but we have a lot of new people who don't seem to understand the concept that they need to clear before they 10-1.