C'mon.....beat this

outta hours

I thought I had it bad, having to wait 3 hours for a towtruck. I guess I should quit whining, at least I didnt have to spend the night in a motel! How does that work anyway, did UPS pay for the room over the phone with a credit card or did you have to pay out of your own pocket? I have never heard of a package driver having to spend the night in a motel. Wow.

I have been stuck away from home several times. Yes UPS pays for your room and meals. They give the credit card info to the front desk when you check in. Then you just charge your meals back to the room. One day last winter I left my hub on a Monday night and did not get back home until Saturday afternoon. The roads were closed that long. I had to walk to Target and get some clothes to wear. I carry a travel bag in the winter with everything else in it if the weather looks bad, but not 5 days worth of stuff.

It's really not fun bring stuck away from the wife and kids. Sitting around all day in the hotel bar with the other UPS guys who are stuck. But it comes with the territory. :wink2:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yesterday was a bad day for weather in a small valley about 50 miles from here. It is a whole different world up there. Where we were just getting a little rain and some wind there was a major blizzard going on there.

Because our satellite driver rolled 50 packages I got the opportunity to go and help him clean up. While there my driver side wiper motor seized up. Could not go anywhere as I could not clear my windshield. Needless to say I had written it up twice as a problem. Another truck was dispatched with a mechanic to repair wiper motor. Meanwhile I get the call from another driver saying I had better leave the valley as the visibility was getter poor. There was nothing I could do until other truck arrives.

Swap trucks and get on my way back to center. 50 mile drive. As I crest to the dry farms I realize it was bad. I see a county deputy. He waves me down and says there is a semi off the road ahead. Go slow but continue. As I near the wrecked semi there is an on coming car. I slow to a stop. The wind is howling and whipping the snow across the road. Suddenly I feel my truck start to move sideways. The wind shoves my truck completely off the road. I sit for a while hoping the wind will die down. I really do not want to try to go around the semi as I don't want to have another episode of getting blown off the road into him. I try again to get on the road and am blown perpendicular to the road. I let it slide back to the side of the road.

State trooper tells me to stay put for awhile. There is a fully loaded bus coming around the semi. As it passes the wind takes the front end of the bus and pushes it downwind. The the bus stays sideways in the road.

Moments later.......a state snow plow comes along side me. My windows and mirrors are covered in snow and I cannot see what he is doing. Later a sheriff's deputy comes into my truck. He says "Hey.....I guess you know that you have a snow plow against your truck" NO......I did not feel a thing. Not with the way the truck is rocking in the wind. The wind was so strong that I blew a fully loaded state plow off the road. Simply amazing.

So we wait. And wait. And wait. Eventually a tow truck comes to remove the plow from the side of my truck. No damage. Deemed an "ACT OF NATURE" by the state patrolman.

Had to spend the night in motel as I ran out of hours. On the way back this morning, the truck develops a fuel filter issue. Try driving 50 miles at 30 mph.

Yah..... I had a bad day.
You win, I even showed my wife this post. Whenever I think I am having a bad day I will remember your story.

I have been stuck away from home several times. Yes UPS pays for your room and meals. They give the credit card info to the front desk when you check in. Then you just charge your meals back to the room. One day last winter I left my hub on a Monday night and did not get back home until Saturday afternoon. The roads were closed that long. I had to walk to Target and get some clothes to wear. I carry a travel bag in the winter with everything else in it if the weather looks bad, but not 5 days worth of stuff.

It's really not fun bring stuck away from the wife and kids. Sitting around all day in the hotel bar with the other UPS guys who are stuck. But it comes with the territory. :wink2:

That's like something out of a nightmare...