Co-worker OLCC'd for...

SmithBarney

So a co-worker was OLCC'd for delivering a P1 well after the 1030 commit.
We have been trained or at least past practice is to run P1's and if you run out of time
then you pick up your P2s after 1030, and complete late P1's on route.

This particular P1 would have sent the driver 20 minutes out(past P2 delivery stops) and would have caused
P2 commit service failures...

Driver is considering challenging this OLCC, because its all making us wonder W.T.H. we should do now
if we have late P1 stops.(most routes cover some serious mileage)

Curious what you all think of this, and if you have reference to policy(I tried to search at work, but came up empty...

Thanks

FYI OLCC's are flying at our station, some positive, mostly all negative.

Washu234

I mean at the end of the day its just an OLCC. I'd demand clarification of the rules and if I was inline with what they said I'd dispute it, but really - OLCCs are nothing more then proof to the company that management talked to you. OLCC has the same function as a written warning at traditional corporations. Its simply a tool to allow the company to know that you've been talk to about a problem before so that if it happens again they know (even if with a different workgroup/manager).

It sounds like he could win this one, but is it really a fight worth fighting?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We use progressive discipline at UPS. Talk with, verbal warning, written warning, suspension, termination. Can I assume that an OLCC would equate to a written warning and that they can be used in the same progressive mannner?

Just curious--suppose the OP's co-worker had decided to falsify and recorded the P1 as delivered to beat the time commit? How does FedEx handle this?

Myort

When I have late P1, I will still sometimes take my break before I get done with it (depends how much I have left) but when I start the P2, I do the area with the late P1 first while mixing in the p2 for that area. That way people aren't getting their P1 late in the afternoon.

Ricochet1a

We use progressive discipline at UPS. Talk with, verbal warning, written warning, suspension, termination. Can I assume that an OLCC would equate to a written warning and that they can be used in the same progressive mannner?

Just curious--suppose the OP's co-worker had decided to falsify and recorded the P1 as delivered to beat the time commit? How does FedEx handle this?

An OLCC in Express is the written documentation of either a complement (positive) or counseling (negative). It is a permanent part of an employee's record. Items like late P1, missing airbills from a batch and improper labeling of picked up packages are handled with a written notice of deficiency, which isn't part of an employee's personnel file. Most places call them "nasty-grams" and they are merely placed into an employee's correspondence "box" by their manager for them (employee) to acknowledge (sign) and return to their manager. I require my manager to pull up "proof" of any nastygram that is given to me and more often than not can prove my innocence and return it unsigned (unacknowledged). Most Express managers don't go to the effort of researching what actually happened to cause some sort of service failure; they merely fill out a deficiency notice if one of their employee's numbers pops up in regards to a particular airbill number having some sort of service failure associated with it (it is always the employee's fault, NOT the system's fault).

A "written warning" is referred to as a Warning Letter. These are items which have both a direct impact on performance review scores and if enough are accumulated in a short enough time period can lead to involuntary termination. The overwhelming majority of these are used to eliminate employees that are grossly deficient in key areas of performance within the first year of their employment with Express.

Falsification is something which can lead to immediate termination within Express. I've known employees that have 6 months with Express try it and get fired and employees that have had over 20 years with Express get lazy, get caught and then end up quitting (knowing that they're going to get fired as soon as the "investigation" is completed). I also know managers which engage in some form of falsification on an ongoing basis and get away with it.

The Express PowerPad generally prevents the less bright from engaging in falsification, but it can still occur if one knows the system and for some reason wants to engage in falsification. There are two reasons employees engage in falsification: laziness and overtasking by managment. There is no excuse for laziness and the defense to overtasking to management is either to say no (to their manager) or start making waves to upper management (which I've done on numerous occasions). Managers will overload Couriers with P1, send them out knowing they can't possibly get it all off by the committment time then turn around and hand out a nasty gram for service failure. The experienced Couriers will start to pull off P1 from their truck to go onto an overflow route. With the belt tigntening by Express, they've tried to eliminate overflow routes so the pressure is on Couriers to make sure they don't leave the building with more than they can reasonably handle. Senior managers and district directors will in turn overtask their operations managers and they then cut corners to avoid getting a lower performance review score and having their annual bonus reduced. It is a vicious circle that goes all the way to Memphis and the Darwinian principle of survival of the fittest seems to apply - those best able to judge when and when not to cut corners move up the ladder.

If a Courier works by "Courier Best Practices" they don't have the opportunity to falsify, since the "process" inherent in CBP prevents any opportunity for falsification (thus part of the reason Express pushes CBP). Very few Couriers in practice follow the guidelines in CBP, since doing so costs precious time and reqires them to either have the memory and organization skills of a robot, or have too much time available to do their job. Express knows this, and it is part of the "nod and a wink" that accompanies all work practices. Officially, CBP is the guideline upon which all Couriers are evaluated against; in reality, if Couriers were to actually follow CBP 100% of the time, Express would have service failures galore and every Courier would miss their goal.

Supposedly Couriers are no longer going to be able go into the Express computer system (FAMIS) and manually update missing Proof of Delivery (PoDs). The PowerPad does occasionally "miss" recording a delivery scan, and employees at the end of the day go through their reports and manually enter a PoD code (COSMOS) to any airbill number so missing that "final scan". Most do it knowing either their PowerPad failed to record the scan, or they for some reason missed scanning a particular piece (when they had multiple pieces delivered as part of a single stop). They do this to head off getting the nasty grams. This is supposed to stop, supposed to. Access to COSMOS is supposed to be pulled for all Couriers and only CSAs and managers are supposed to have access to this part of FAMIS sometime in the future. Express will find out that its service failure rates will skyrocket if they in fact do this, since employees won't be able to "correct" their errors before the end of the day and the missing information shows up in the station level reports.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I mean at the end of the day its just an OLCC. I'd demand clarification of the rules and if I was inline with what they said I'd dispute it, but really - OLCCs are nothing more then proof to the company that management talked to you. OLCC has the same function as a written warning at traditional corporations. Its simply a tool to allow the company to know that you've been talk to about a problem before so that if it happens again they know (even if with a different workgroup/manager).

It sounds like he could win this one, but is it really a fight worth fighting?

Just another example of FedEx double-speak. If you don't get your route done and have Code 1's, you're screwed, and if you do the "right" thing as the example courier did, you're also screwed. If you haven't noticed lately, FedEx is full of both hypocrisy and Catch-22's. If it were me, I'd turn it back on management and tell them I was following "best practices" or some other BS that shows you were trying your best to follow constantly changing policies and procedures that are almost impossible to keep-up with. Most managers don't even know policy themselves, so it's always good to go to the book and catch them at their own games.

Washu234

Just another example of FedEx double-speak. If you don't get your route done and have Code 1's, you're screwed, and if you do the "right" thing as the example courier did, you're also screwed. If you haven't noticed lately, FedEx is full of both hypocrisy and Catch-22's. If it were me, I'd turn it back on management and tell them I was following "best practices" or some other BS that shows you were trying your best to follow constantly changing policies and procedures that are almost impossible to keep-up with. Most managers don't even know policy themselves, so it's always good to go to the book and catch them at their own games.

Ha I often enjoy telling management I was "keeping the purple promise" or just say "QDM" when my numbers are off and I'm questioned. Using FedEx lingo to explain yourself never hurts.

Just remember to code everything correctly. Bathroom = 56 Package Handling. Smoke break = 36 Miscellaneous.

SmithBarney

Jackal I agree, that is why I brought it up...

What are the choices when over-dispatched.
Deliver all P1 first even if late, causing multiple SOS lates and possible missed.
or
Deliver P1 up to 1030, then continue on route...

Either way seems lose lose with Management acting this way.

I was looking for a definitive answer of Best Practices, and obviously BP would be not to go out over-dispatched...

!Retired!

Jackal I agree, that is why I brought it up...

What are the choices when over-dispatched.
Deliver all P1 first even if late, causing multiple SOS lates and possible missed.
or
Deliver P1 up to 1030, then continue on route...

Either way seems lose lose with Management acting this way.

I was looking for a definitive answer of Best Practices, and obviously BP would be not to go out over-dispatched...
That's the answer. You have a drop zone.......use it. My loop has 3 rtes, I max and drop/take FIRST to #2, then he maxes and drops to #3...#3 should be the ONLY crr with lates, if there's no help. Sometimes you go out max and stuff happens to make you late, but OLCC'd the first time it happened? I doubt it. There's more to the story..........

BTW, you do know lates are not counted against you on your review right?

SmithBarney

There might be more to the story, but I don't know.

I do know that lates are not held against me on my review... my 6.9 earned me a .27 cent raise... LOL ouch that hurts to say.

I've run my route at an average 120% for the last year, the numbers are so messed up here, and our manager really can't count
(no really can't count) so I imagine the numbers may never change... I average 190pieces/day not alot.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
An OLCC in Express is the written documentation of either a complement (positive) or counseling (negative). It is a permanent part of an employee's record. Items like late P1, missing airbills from a batch and improper labeling of picked up packages are handled with a written notice of deficiency, which isn't part of an employee's personnel file. Most places call them "nasty-grams" and they are merely placed into an employee's correspondence "box" by their manager for them (employee) to acknowledge (sign) and return to their manager. I require my manager to pull up "proof" of any nastygram that is given to me and more often than not can prove my innocence and return it unsigned (unacknowledged). Most Express managers don't go to the effort of researching what actually happened to cause some sort of service failure; they merely fill out a deficiency notice if one of their employee's numbers pops up in regards to a particular airbill number having some sort of service failure associated with it (it is always the employee's fault, NOT the system's fault).

A "written warning" is referred to as a Warning Letter. These are items which have both a direct impact on performance review scores and if enough are accumulated in a short enough time period can lead to involuntary termination. The overwhelming majority of these are used to eliminate employees that are grossly deficient in key areas of performance within the first year of their employment with Express.

Falsification is something which can lead to immediate termination within Express. I've known employees that have 6 months with Express try it and get fired and employees that have had over 20 years with Express get lazy, get caught and then end up quitting (knowing that they're going to get fired as soon as the "investigation" is completed). I also know managers which engage in some form of falsification on an ongoing basis and get away with it.

The Express PowerPad generally prevents the less bright from engaging in falsification, but it can still occur if one knows the system and for some reason wants to engage in falsification. There are two reasons employees engage in falsification: laziness and overtasking by managment. There is no excuse for laziness and the defense to overtasking to management is either to say no (to their manager) or start making waves to upper management (which I've done on numerous occasions). Managers will overload Couriers with P1, send them out knowing they can't possibly get it all off by the committment time then turn around and hand out a nasty gram for service failure. The experienced Couriers will start to pull off P1 from their truck to go onto an overflow route. With the belt tigntening by Express, they've tried to eliminate overflow routes so the pressure is on Couriers to make sure they don't leave the building with more than they can reasonably handle. Senior managers and district directors will in turn overtask their operations managers and they then cut corners to avoid getting a lower performance review score and having their annual bonus reduced. It is a vicious circle that goes all the way to Memphis and the Darwinian principle of survival of the fittest seems to apply - those best able to judge when and when not to cut corners move up the ladder.

If a Courier works by "Courier Best Practices" they don't have the opportunity to falsify, since the "process" inherent in CBP prevents any opportunity for falsification (thus part of the reason Express pushes CBP). Very few Couriers in practice follow the guidelines in CBP, since doing so costs precious time and reqires them to either have the memory and organization skills of a robot, or have too much time available to do their job. Express knows this, and it is part of the "nod and a wink" that accompanies all work practices. Officially, CBP is the guideline upon which all Couriers are evaluated against; in reality, if Couriers were to actually follow CBP 100% of the time, Express would have service failures galore and every Courier would miss their goal.

Supposedly Couriers are no longer going to be able go into the Express computer system (FAMIS) and manually update missing Proof of Delivery (PoDs). The PowerPad does occasionally "miss" recording a delivery scan, and employees at the end of the day go through their reports and manually enter a PoD code (COSMOS) to any airbill number so missing that "final scan". Most do it knowing either their PowerPad failed to record the scan, or they for some reason missed scanning a particular piece (when they had multiple pieces delivered as part of a single stop). They do this to head off getting the nasty grams. This is supposed to stop, supposed to. Access to COSMOS is supposed to be pulled for all Couriers and only CSAs and managers are supposed to have access to this part of FAMIS sometime in the future. Express will find out that its service failure rates will skyrocket if they in fact do this, since employees won't be able to "correct" their errors before the end of the day and the missing information shows up in the station level reports.

It is nice that a fedex employee CAN receive a positive comment put into their personal file. UPS would NEVER do this, workers are rarely told thank you or good job....period. This could be a morale booster and costs the company nothing but the "culture" of ups forbids it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is nice that a fedex employee CAN receive a positive comment put into their personal file. UPS would NEVER do this, workers are rarely told thank you or good job....period. This could be a morale booster and costs the company nothing but the "culture" of ups forbids it.

That is not true. If UPS receives a complimentary phone call on your behalf it does go in your file, whether it be by the 1-800# or if they call the local number.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx doesn't hand-out positive OLCC's all that often. Most of the time, you get written-up for something that is nonsense. Doing a great job is invisible to management most of the time, unless a customer actually calls-in or writes something positive.

SmithBarney

MrFedEx, I disagree.

Having only been with the company 3 measly years, working for much less than my previous position at UPS.
I've been at 2 stations(opposite sides of country) had 6 Positive OLCC's 3 paying BZ's and one negative OLCC for swapping two astra labels during a pup.

I've seen plenty of Positive OLCC's lots of negative too(mostly deserved for the self-serving slackers I work with)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
MrFedEx, I disagree.

Having only been with the company 3 measly years, working for much less than my previous position at UPS.
I've been at 2 stations(opposite sides of country) had 6 Positive OLCC's 3 paying BZ's and one negative OLCC for swapping two astra labels during a pup.

I've seen plenty of Positive OLCC's lots of negative too(mostly deserved for the self-serving slackers I work with)

That's great. Sounds like you have managers who actually pay attention to who is doing an excellent job. We don't see that many BZ's or positive OLCC's, and we have some great employees, but I know that FedEx has been pushing an "appreciation" agenda lately, with the 25, 30, 35-year pins. I'd like to see the old version of the BZ come back, where there was a real payout. A paper BZ is OK, but when you actually see some cash behind it the employee feels more valued.

Last edited by a moderator:

!Retired!

That's great. Sounds like you have managers who actually pay attention to who is doing an excellent job. We don't see that many BZ's or positive OLCC's, and we have some great employees, but I know that FedEx has been pushing an "appreciation" agenda lately, with the 25, 30, 35-year pins. I'd like to see the old version of the BZ come back, where there was a real payout. A paper BZ is OK, but when you actually see some cash behind it the employee feels more valued.
**GULP** I agree.......:bow: