Coal Fired!

vantexan

Not as long as natural gas is cheap.
But much cleaner, more efficient coal plants could greatly help China and be a market for our coal. The only thing Obama managed to do with 8 years of knocking coal was to keep clean coal technology from advancing. Advanced elsewhere and guess what? Coal's not dead after all.

bbsam

Staff member
But much cleaner, more efficient coal plants could greatly help China and be a market for our coal. The only thing Obama managed to do with 8 years of knocking coal was to keep clean coal technology from advancing. Advanced elsewhere and guess what? Coal's not dead after all.
I guess if we see a bunch of new coal fired plants opening up, that will be the case,but why? Natural gas is both cleaner and cheaper. It's not a matter of coal being "dead". The industry simply moved on.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Then why has there been an environmentally advanced clean coal burning power plant not twenty miles from my house for the last fifteen years?

One that has just run a natural gas line in anticipation of coal becoming cost prohibitive.

bbsam

Staff member
Then why has there been an environmentally advanced clean coal burning power plant not twenty miles from my house for the last fifteen years?

One that has just run a natural gas line in anticipation of coal becoming cost prohibitive.
Because that's what industry does. Moves on.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Because that's what industry does. Moves on.

Most of the coal-fired plants around here have converted or are in the process of converting. Add to that the several new gas-fired plants being built, coal is pretty much dead here.

bbsam

Staff member
Most of the coal-fired plants around here have converted or are in the process of converting. Add to that the several new gas-fired plants being built, coal is pretty much dead here.
President Trump will not be in office forever. Doesn't make sense to build "clean coal" plants for the short term only to have to conform to emissions long term.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

President Trump will not be in office forever. Doesn't make sense to build "clean coal" plants for the short term only to have to conform to emissions long term.

Industries have spent the past 6-8 years retooling to meet the Obama EPA mandates. It would make zero sense to reverse course now only to have it do it all again in 2024.

vantexan

The Longview plant is the cleanest, most efficient coal plant in the country. And they use natural gas for about 20% of their needs too.

vantexan

Most likely taken out of context. Any article that's followed by Keith Olbermann tells me all I need to know about the news source. You guys are always talking about technology displacing workers. Apparently in your view they can automate to the point of making everything obsolete but coal technology can't advance. Read the other day France wants to make all cars electric by 2040. Doubt they can get enough gas from Russia to make that feasible without coal in the mix. Coal is not dead yet and when the day comes that natural gas is depleted coal will be very much alive.

MAKAVELI

Most likely taken out of context. Any article that's followed by Keith Olbermann tells me all I need to know about the news source. You guys are always talking about technology displacing workers. Apparently in your view they can automate to the point of making everything obsolete but coal technology can't advance. Read the other day France wants to make all cars electric by 2040. Doubt they can get enough gas from Russia to make that feasible without coal in the mix. Coal is not dead yet and when the day comes that natural gas is depleted coal will be very much alive.
The only way to make coal " clean " is to capture and dispose of the CO2. That process is a very expensive and unproven technology. It also doesn't take into account how destructive the mining process of coal is to the environment.

bbsam

Staff member
You didn't read the article did you?

bbsam

Staff member
Where does France get it's electricity? I'm betting nuclear.