Colbert family grieving after UPS driver runs over dog

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Colbert family grieving after UPS driver runs over dog - KXLY

"Came down my driveway and I found my dog, Moses, dead there with blood coming out of his ears and nose and big cuts on his head,” Bill Ferguson said.

The ten year old Labrador was run over by a United Parcel Service vehicle. UPS said, in an emailed statement, that the driver saw both of the dogs well behind the truck when heading up the driveway, but at some point Moses started following the truck.

“One of the dogs unfortunately was chasing the vehicle, biting at the tires and before our driver could stop the dog ran fast enough to get in front of the rear tire,” UPS spokesperson Dan McMackin said.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sounds like the driver did more than most people would do and as usual the people aren't blaming themselves for not keeping their dog in control. Put up a stupid sign to keep out delivery trucks? ya -that's brilliant. One less stop for that driver-customer can come pick up his stuff at UPS. I never saw a dog that was mean enough to bite tires who wouldn't bite the driver too.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Colbert family grieving after UPS driver runs over dog - KXLY

"Came down my driveway and I found my dog, Moses, dead there with blood coming out of his ears and nose and big cuts on his head,” Bill Ferguson said.

The ten year old Labrador was run over by a United Parcel Service vehicle. UPS said, in an emailed statement, that the driver saw both of the dogs well behind the truck when heading up the driveway, but at some point Moses started following the truck.

“One of the dogs unfortunately was chasing the vehicle, biting at the tires and before our driver could stop the dog ran fast enough to get in front of the rear tire,” UPS spokesperson Dan McMackin said.
To My Fellow UPS Workers,

This is disturbing to me.

The leaving the dog on the property with a note is very troubling to me.

I am not comfortable with the driver or the company making the life and death decision here.

I think getting the animal to a nearby animal hospital would be an appropriate response to running over someone's pet.

It seems to me that there should have been a 911 call regarding the incident and then let professionals determine what care to give the dog even if it was to pronounce the dog dead.

The police could have then visited the house with the bad news in an appropriate way when someone was home.

The purpose of this reply is not to gripe or complain about this issue, conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread reply is to discuss this work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in possibly engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we will not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers, and/or customers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

Sincerely,
I

moreluck

golden ticket member
Was this dog loose? Owner is at fault......always when the dog is loose. Leash Laws mean nothing to these irresponsible people!!

T

Turdferguson

To My Fellow UPS Workers,

This is disturbing to me.

The leaving the dog on the property with a note is very troubling to me.

I am not comfortable with the driver or the company making the life and death decision here.

I think getting the animal to a nearby animal hospital would be an appropriate response to running over someone's pet.

It seems to me that there should have been a 911 call regarding the incident and then let professionals determine what care to give the dog even if it was to pronounce the dog dead.

The police could have then visited the house with the bad news in an appropriate way when someone was home.

The purpose of this reply is not to gripe or complain about this issue, conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread reply is to discuss this work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in possibly engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we will not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers, and/or customers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

Sincerely,
I
I fail to see how wasting emergency responders time is an appropriate response. Animal control could have been called, but calling 911 is not an appropriate response. Shame I expect better .

Integrity

Binge Poster
Was this dog loose? Owner is at fault......always when the dog is loose. Leash Laws mean nothing to these irresponsible people!!
moreluck,

Fault is not the issue.

The issue is; what is the most caring and loving way to handle this unfortunate circumstance.

Arguably this could be viewed as a hit and run.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I fail to see how wasting emergency responders time is an appropriate response. Animal control could have been called, but calling 911 is not an appropriate response. Shame I expect better .
turdferguson,

I definitely would want a police report of this accident.

Don't you view running over someone's family member an accident that should be reported to the police?

Sincerely,
I

T

Turdferguson

turdferguson,

I definitely would want a police report of this accident.

Don't you view running over someone's family member an accident that should be reported to the police?

Sincerely,
I
In the eyes of the law a family pet is not a family member. Do you value human life so little that you give it the same crediance as that ofxan animal?

moreluck

golden ticket member
moreluck,

Fault is not the issue.

The issue is; what is the most caring and loving way to handle this unfortunate circumstance.

Arguably this could be viewed as a hit and run.

Sincerely,
I
Warm & fuzzy, touch- feely.....that's what's wrong with this country now. We have laws...obey them and see that they are enforced

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
In this case you got to walk away from the situation. 2 times in my career I had people come at me aggressively. One of the times, I was actually struck by the customer. You could see the anger in this driver by his stance. I'm sure he doesn't work here any longer. As far as the dog goes, I think most of us as drivers can tell if a dog is friend or foe right away. This dog was a cream puff. I kicked dogs more than a few times, getting bit 6 times during my career. This dog would lick you to death. This post was supposed to be on the other thread. Could a mod delete this one please? thanks.

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
In the eyes of the law a family pet is not a family member. Do you value human life so little that you give it the same crediance as that ofxan animal?
turdferguson,

Not sure you are right about the "eyes of the law" statement. You will have to prove that one.

Don't understand the point of your question or what you are getting at.

Sorry.

Sincerely,
I

oldngray

nowhere special
In most areas the dog either needs to be on a leash (or tied up) or in a fenced in yard. A few places require both but usually if fenced (including electronic fence) then a leash is not required. If it was out in the country on a farm there may not be any leash law there.