coming soon to a center near you...ODS-E

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
hi everyone-
not sure if anyone has posted this yet (and my apologies if someone has).
phoenix center has instituted new software (we just started using it yesterday.) in the center manager office that shows everyone in the office how many stops each route has left. as long as the driver is not running shag packages, the manager or (whoever looks at the screen) will be able to query each individual driver to see how far along they are on their particular route. not sure what all it shows, but i know for a fact it does show how many stops left. i was told that it only has a delay of 7 minutes at our center.
i'm not sure i agree with ups using such technology...

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...I'm not sure I agree with UPS using such technology...

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much input you, I or anyone else on this forum will have over whether or not they choose to use this technology. Actually, I am sure--zero!!

As has been mentioned many times before, the advent of new technology will only affect those not following the methods. Do your job, do it the way that you were taught, and they could mount a camera on your forehead and you would still have nothing to worry about. It is really just that simple.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
hi everyone-
phoenix center has instituted new software (we just started using it yesterday.) in the center manager office that shows everyone in the office how many stops each route has left. as long as the driver is not running shag packages, the manager or (whoever looks at the screen) will be able to query each individual driver to see how far along they are on their particular route. not sure what all it shows, but i know for a fact it does show how many stops left. i was told that it only has a delay of 7 minutes at our center.

Dont screw up on your route and you'll be ok

JustTired

free at last.......
George Orwell was right. He was just a few decades off.

I see, in the future, a HUD (heads up display) with Over9fives' avatar looking back at you. Sorta gives you that warm, fuzzy feeling....doesn't it.

upsdude

hi everyone-

It's called "OMS-E", do your job and you'll be fine. Yes, they can look into your DIAD at anytime.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Great.............. does this mean that I won't get the annoying " How many stops have you run, how many left, and what is your ETA to the building" message everyday?

We don't have pas/edd in our center either so I guess I don't have to worry about it. I was told at one time that we would never have it in our little satellite center of 7 drivers.

pretzel_man

Great.............. does this mean that I won't get the annoying " How many stops have you run, how many left, and what is your ETA to the building" message everyday?

We don't have pas/edd in our center either so I guess I don't have to worry about it. I was told at one time that we would never have it in our little satellite center of 7 drivers.

Harley,

That's exactly why they are putting this out. The centers I've worked with love it.

Everytime your DIAD delivers a stop, it tells the center. They know if packages are late, not in, etc. there should be no need for all the text messages so someone can know your status.

I saw a presentation on this and more is coming.

BTW, its called ODS-e, and it works in all centers including the non-PAS ones. Of course for those, they will only know what you've completed, not what's left to do.

P-Man

upsdude

Harley,

That's exactly why they are putting this out. The centers I've worked with love it.

Everytime your DIAD delivers a stop, it tells the center. They know if packages are late, not in, etc. there should be no need for all the text messages so someone can know your status.

I saw a presentation on this and more is coming.

BTW, its called ODS-e, and it works in all centers including the non-PAS ones. Of course for those, they will only know what you've completed, not what's left to do.

P-Man

Thanks P-Man, ODS not OMS, my bad.

BTW, we still have to send in ETA/Stops info. Why , is anyone's guess.

pretzel_man

Thanks P-Man, ODS not OMS, my bad.

BTW, we still have to send in ETA/Stops info. Why , is anyone's guess.

Hi Dude:

Are you doing ETA for anything other than on call pickups? If so, everyone has to do that. I guess its so the customer can see it for the on call events.

Hopefully, you're not doing it for anything other than the pickups.

P-Man

upsdude

Hi Dude:

Are you doing ETA for anything other than on call pickups? If so, everyone has to do that. I guess its so the customer can see it for the on call events.

Hopefully, you're not doing it for anything other than the pickups.

P-Man

Nope, we're doing it for general purpose, same old same old. Couple guys forgot to send in eta/stops and were called in the office (with a steward) and told a warning letter would be next. I'm being totally serious. We (UPS) find more ways to waste time and money (text messaging), it never ends.

Last edited:

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
Honestly, what are your concerns with it?

i just don't think they should be able to implement that kind of technology. now they "know" how many stops left. then they will be able to figure out when my route will completed (or an estimate). that only means more work for me because they are going to be calling/text messaging me to go help the jackass on smith's route who is slacking off. borderline invasion of privacy if you ask me.

Griff

i just don't think they should be able to implement that kind of technology. now they "know" how many stops left. then they will be able to figure out when my route will completed (or an estimate). that only means more work for me because they are going to be calling/text messaging me to go help the jackass on smith's route who is slacking off. borderline invasion of privacy if you ask me.

You have no right to privacy, the UPS truck isn't your home. I have no problem with the technology advancement itself, it's the inherent misuse of it by operations management to harass and intimidate people over minor details. I'll be shocked if there isn't video cameras installed within 5 years. I'll make sure to wave to the center staff while I'm relieving myself in a gatorade bottle.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
You have no right to privacy, the UPS truck isn't your home. I have no problem with the technology advancement itself, it's the inherent misuse of it by operations management to harass and intimidate people over minor details. I'll be shocked if there isn't video cameras installed within 5 years. I'll make sure to wave to the center staff while I'm relieving myself in a gatorade bottle.

i understand that the ups truck isn't my home...its just ups making their job easier...and its part of the job. thats fine. i just know that they will use this technology to "cherry-pick" me for help when i have busted my butt for 8 hours and am nearing completion of my route. i enjoy the work as much as the next guy but i have other stuff to worry about than staying out over 9.5 every night because ups needs their packages delivered.

satellitedriver

I am a 1 man satellite center and I am on Pas/Edd. They can track me all they want, but they can't seem to track the (5 average daily) misloads placed in my trailer.
I get that annoying message daily.