Coming soon to a hub near you.

22.34life

anybodys hub got the new small sort system yet?i believe its called a bullfrog.the way it works is like this,the small sorter takes a package and scans it under a scanner mounted between the bin,then a light lights up where the package goes.since the sorter has already scanned it the bagger does not have to,so now the bagger just bags without checking so he has to bag both sides.so now the small sort is unskilled since neither the sorter or the bagger has to check, its all automated.the six lowest senority people were removed from the small sort.nobody seems to know if the people in the smallsort will lose their dollar or not.

Except for package exceptions thats all we have. People do nothing but run back and forth zipping bags and then replacing with an empty one.

pretzel_man

anybodys hub got the new small sort system yet?i believe its called a bullfrog.the way it works is like this,the small sorter takes a package and scans it under a scanner mounted between the bin,then a light lights up where the package goes.since the sorter has already scanned it the bagger does not have to,so now the bagger just bags without checking so he has to bag both sides.so now the small sort is unskilled since neither the sorter or the bagger has to check, its all automated.the six lowest senority people were removed from the small sort.nobody seems to know if the people in the smallsort will lose their dollar or not.

The system you are talking about is not the bullfrog. The one you mention is called Next Generation Smalls Sort (NGSS).

A sorter takes a package and scans it. After the scan, some lights around the correct bin light up to show where to sort the package. The bagger doesn't need to double check or scan.

A bullfrog is an automated sorting system.

P-Man

browniehound

You can't blame UPS for trying to run more efficiently. If you owned a small business you would do anything to keep costs at a minimum. If you didn't or UPS doesn't then both companies would be at risk to go under.

You keep the dollar once you get it, at least I did back in the 90's. There are other jobs at UPS that these 6 small sorters can perform. I think they are lucky they are at UPS because if it was most other companies, they would be on the street.

pretzel_man

So if there is a missort, or in this case, a mis-throw the "thrower" gets dinged for it?

Yes...

I have to admit, that when I first heard about this concept (a couple of years ago), I thought it would never work. I thought all it would do is slow down sorters and they would make more mistakes.

This didn't turn out to be the case.... In the real world, the bagger is the bottleneck for the sorter. This simplifies the bagger job and keeps them from slowing down the sorter. From a missort standpoint, it has shown to be better than before (not hugely better - about 10% I think). All in all, It seems like a good system for keeping the smalls sort clean.

P-Man

helenofcalifornia

I suppose you can't post a picture of this new sorting system? I would like to see what the lights look like. And who is responsible for changing the ones that go out?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yes...

I have to admit, that when I first heard about this concept (a couple of years ago), I thought it would never work. I thought all it would do is slow down sorters and they would make more mistakes.

This didn't turn out to be the case.... In the real world, the bagger is the bottleneck for the sorter. This simplifies the bagger job and keeps them from slowing down the sorter. From a missort standpoint, it has shown to be better than before (not hugely better - about 10% I think). All in all, It seems like a good system for keeping the smalls sort clean.

P-Man

And to think, the people making all of these executive decisions are NOT in the real world. Scary.

Having worked in the small sort in different buildings over the years, bagger sorter feed etc etc....iit's clear that usually the bagging is the bottleneck (unless you have a particularly fast bagger that can scan 350+/hr). From setting up loads with the handheld or overhead scanner, scanners and overheads disconnecting/failing, fiddling with the labels that always seem to tear in the middle, etc.

pretzel_man

And to think, the people making all of these executive decisions are NOT in the real world. Scary.

Having worked in the small sort in different buildings over the years, bagger sorter feed etc etc....iit's clear that usually the bagging is the bottleneck (unless you have a particularly fast bagger that can scan 350+/hr). From setting up loads with the handheld or overhead scanner, scanners and overheads disconnecting/failing, fiddling with the labels that always seem to tear in the middle, etc.

So, you have seen the system???

I have worked in many hubs in multiple districts as well. Its been installed in multiple hubs. Big ones, and small ones.

I have spoken with people that have seen and used the system. I've also looked at the production and service indices. I'll let those facts sway my opinion.

P-Man