Companies sharpen focus on security after workplace shootings

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Companies sharpen focus on security after workplace shootings - WRAL

Joe sat in his United Parcel Service truck at the company distribution center on Potrero Hill on Thursday waiting for a pickup call. He was listening to the radio about the shootings at YouTube that had erupted just two days before and still had the Bay Area rattled. He shrugged.

Nine months ago, a fellow UPS driver easily walked through the center's doors with a pair of pistols and a box of bullets, and after gunning down three workers and wounding two others, he shot himself to death. Since then, UPS has changed guard companies and tightened up its policies on metal detectors and bag checks, several workers said.

Joe, a middle-aged driver who used an alias because he said UPS forbids workers from speaking to the media, was skeptical.

UPS Preloader

Companies sharpen focus on security after workplace shootings - WRAL

Joe sat in his United Parcel Service truck at the company distribution center on Potrero Hill on Thursday waiting for a pickup call. He was listening to the radio about the shootings at YouTube that had erupted just two days before and still had the Bay Area rattled. He shrugged.

Nine months ago, a fellow UPS driver easily walked through the center's doors with a pair of pistols and a box of bullets, and after gunning down three workers and wounding two others, he shot himself to death. Since then, UPS has changed guard companies and tightened up its policies on metal detectors and bag checks, several workers said.

Joe, a middle-aged driver who used an alias because he said UPS forbids workers from speaking to the media, was skeptical.

Absolutely no security in the building I’m at. Anyone can walk into the building at any time and not even be noticed depending upon what door he or she enters.

over9five

Staff member
Metal detectors are a joke. We have them, and they go off for EVERYONE, cuz we all have steel toed shoes. So in other words, theyre ignored.
Expecting unarmed children and old men to defend us against people with guns is pretty stupid too.

MC0493

Absolutely no security in the building I’m at. Anyone can walk into the building at any time and not even be noticed depending upon what door he or she enters.
Same way at my building, single center. Anyone could easily wander in, hell you could drive in depending on the time of year.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I wonder if the Teamsters would back UPS if they tried to force an employee to be evaluated for emotional or mental health issues?

Has this come up at your location?

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Not yet but I heard we had another hourly walked out on Friday for being drunk on duty. He blew a .17.
I would have to drink that much just to drown out the sound of your voice if I worked with you. Sounds like he came to work prepared for duty and ready to hear your BS all day long.

F

Frankie's Friend

The hourly displayed obvious signs of impairment. Our contract requires that 3 members of management observe the employee before taking him/her to our local ER for testing.
More and more people come into work at least a little high from weed every day. You prob can't smell it unless they smoked it in their car prior to entering the building.
Blood shot eyes and lethargic demeanor at 4 am may be somewhat normal but i don't believe the co wants to know all the facts about their workforce.
Drunk is easy. Otherwise, not so easy. Think the turn over is bad now?