Company policy book-contract and state fed laws grievance

UPSmechanicinblue

Has anyone had success using the UPS policy book in a grievance? I know you can file under any contract state local federal law violation. Just wondering if anyone has used the company policy book.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
"Employees are our greatest asset"..."safety is of utmost importance at ups"...those two phrases should cover anything you might have to grieve.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Has anyone had success using the UPS policy book in a grievance? I know you can file under any contract state local federal law violation. Just wondering if anyone has used the company policy book.
To be honest the policy book is a joke...it has some good info in it about the old ups but those days are gone..flushed away

UPSmechanicinblue

I was at a steward training seminar years ago even tho i wasn't a steward I volunteered to attend. I thought they said that you could use a companies policy also if they had one. this is why I'm asking just to see if it's worth checking and if not I wont. just wondered if anyone used it while filing. If so maybe something others can use along with the contract when having problems. I found this below.

• What is the alleged violation - Unfair treatment, issues involving government, violation of past or present rules and regulations, contracts, management matters or current company policies?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The UPS Policy Book is external to the UPS / Teamster contract and has no relevance.

I've successfully grieved items that were violations of the policy book and company methods/procedures. Granted, these were egregious violations of the same but they were still heard and settled.

The policy handbook is also commonly referenced at panel hearings.

As far as grieving to change the policies, that's an entirely different matter and outside the scope of the CBA and grievance procedure.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

To answer the original question: I've used the policy handbook, the professional conduct policy, and company methods and procedures in grievances. Granted, most of these are also covered under the CBA and run parallel to the handbook but there's nothing in the contract about integrity issues for management -- only dishonesty for bargaining unit members.

I dropped an "integrity" grievance on a manager once and things started moving pretty quickly.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've successfully grieved items that were violations of the policy book and company methods/procedures. Granted, these were egregious violations of the same but they were still heard and settled.

The policy handbook is also commonly referenced at panel hearings.

As far as grieving to change the policies, that's an entirely different matter and outside the scope of the CBA and grievance procedure.
I will defer to your experience as a steward and your honesty and thoughtfulness you have displayed on BC in the past so I stand corrected.
I was using logic which to me dictates that anything not covered in a contract between two parties cannot be addressed as a breech of the terms and conditions of the contract.
It seems the grievance process extends beyond contractual T&C which in retrospect would be a progressive approach to problem solving.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
There are cases where the employee lost due to the "company, corporation, business" did not have to follow its own policies.

There are also cases where the company, corporation, business lost because they did not follow its own policies.

Every case is unique and you have to review each case separately.