Compensation for time off after death in family

laffter

I'm not able to provide a scan of the contract article I read, but it stated that a part time employee will receive up to four days of compensation at four times their pay rate. That is, if the person missed four work days between the death and funeral.

Someone I know received compensation for four days, but at their regular pay rate.

Am I understanding what I read correctly? I'll try to post a scan of the article tomorrow.

T

Turdferguson

4x's your rate of pay? I know some family members I would take out for that much cabage.:)

Sent using BrownCafe App

laffter

Pardon any typos, I just typed it out. The death was of a member of the employee's family as described in paragraph two of the article below. The employee is part-time. The employee took a week off and was paid for four days, as they should have been- but at their normal pay rate. I underlined the part(s) covering the issue in question.

ARTICLE 29
Section 2. Funeral Leave

In the event of a death of a member of the employee's family, a seniority employee shall be allowed a reasonable time off to attend a funeral or other bereavement rite.

Members of the employee's family means spouse, child, or step-child, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother-in-law and father-in-law and step-parents.

A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days following the funeral provided that the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite. In cases involving the funeral of a relative listed in paragraph 2 above, an employee who attends the funeral or bereavement rite is guaranteed a minimum of two (2) days off.

An employee shall be allowed one (1) day off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite of a sister-in-law or a brother-in-law. Reimbursement for this day shall be the same as provided below.

Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an additional day is required for travel, except as provided above. In no event will total compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled work days. The employee will be reimbursed at eight (8) times the employee's straight-time hourly rate for each day lost from work for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is five (5) days, and ten (10) times the straight-time hourly rate for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is four (4) days. Part time employees will receive the same benefits as above, paid at four (4) times the employee's hourly rate. Better conditions contained in Supplements, Riders or Addenda will be maintained by the present employees. All employees hired after July 2, 1982 will be covered by the above language.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Is there any documentation required for funeral leave?
In my center yes, must provide an obituary. ON my brothers death I had to file a grievance to get paid, because I sent an obit to my immediate idiot sup, and he said he never got it. But he knew why I was off and didnt care enough to get me paid. They kept telling me next week, next week, next week. Pretty trivial to put someone through that.