Completly disgusted!!!

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
I am a new fulltime driver and am just disgusted and overwhelmed! I passed my 30 day probations period running 20.1 sphors 165-170 stops. Last mon they moved me to a route that has a driver that has been on it for 20+ years. This driver is real smart knowing that he has 3 colleges on his route he takes a month vacation this time every year due to the fact that students are coming back to school.

I enter the truck monday and 1000-3000, fl1, fl2, fl3 are all spad to the 1300 section. All 3 colleges are spad to the same number nothing is in order, no departments or buildings are seperated it is all just thrown on the shelves. So not only do i have to sort through it have to try to figure out what stops go to togheter and what buildings, room and departments they go to. I am having to make 2-3 deliverys per building because i keep missing packages. This is completly screwed up, i have been ave 315 pieces 130 stops and getting in around 900 oclock every night. Yes i have been taking my hour lunch and calling for help. The driver that is on vacation came in an hour early to set his truck up (which is something i am not going to do), I am not a freakin :censored2:, but they might as well just pull all the lables off the packages and tell me to go deliver them. I have been on the rt for a week and have 3 more weeks before he comes back from vacation, I know this route will get easier, Is anyone out there in my situation, and how do you handle deliveries like this.

Overpaid Union Thug

I am a new fulltime driver and am just disgusted and overwhelmed! I passed my 30 day probations period running 20.1 sphors 165-170 stops. Last mon they moved me to a route that has a driver that has been on it for 20+ years. This driver is real smart knowing that he has 3 colleges on his route he takes a month vacation this time every year due to the fact that students are coming back to school.

I enter the truck monday and 1000-3000, fl1, fl2, fl3 are all spad to the 1300 section. All 3 colleges are spad to the same number nothing is in order, no departments or buildings are seperated it is all just thrown on the shelves. So not only do i have to sort through it have to try to figure out what stops go to togheter and what buildings, room and departments they go to. I am having to make 2-3 deliverys per building because i keep missing packages. This is completly screwed up, i have been ave 315 pieces 130 stops and getting in around 900 oclock every night. Yes i have been taking my hour lunch and calling for help. The driver that is on vacation came in an hour early to set his truck up (which is something i am not going to do), I am not a freakin :censored2:, but they might as well just pull all the lables off the packages and tell me to go deliver them. I have been on the rt for a week and have 3 more weeks before he comes back from vacation, I know this route will get easier, Is anyone out there in my situation, and how do you handle deliveries like this.

Sounds like a nightmare. We only have one college but there are 3 different addresses to keep track of for it. One is central receiving and most of the packages go there. The book store and cafeteria have their own but for some reason most shippers use the same address for both. Also....packages for students are delivered to central receiving even though they are addressed the same as the book store and cafeteria. Unfortunately this is how it is at most colleges. Most of the drivers in our center had to start out delivering to this college and we all had to go through what you are describing but it sounds like your situation is much worse with three colleges. Eventually you'll start remembering what goes where but it sounds like your management team needs to take a long hard look at how those stops are loaded. Are you guys on PAS/EDD? It helps but is limited if many different delivery points share the same address.

backinbrown

respect my authority
First congrats on making 30 days, second take a deep breath. you are to new to no that route. as far as other driver bieng on car sorting truck before start time your shop stewards should be putting a stop to that. You should sort that stop when you get there, you will think its killing your day so be it, it will save you from going back in over and over. Dont worry about the numbers thats not your problem, thats management problem, youve made your 30 days you cant be fired for your numbers, take your breaks work safe and dont falsify anything, and you will be fine, you havnt seen anything yet peak is coming. ONE STOP AT A TIME. 9:00 is late but we work at ups thats the way it is sometimes, your times will get faster just follow your methods, they do work. Hang in there.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
the only thing management has told me is that i need to work on my delivery scans. I can easily have 15-20 packages that my diad says is on my truck that isn't. So the next day they jump down my throat because i have so many missed scans. I just think that it is impossible to scan something that isnt on my tuck. But with the invention of a new diad we might actually be able to scan packages that are misloaded on someone elses truck while we are standing at the acutal package destination.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I also have a college on my area and there are basically 3 different stops: central receiving, which is where pkgs for the facility and students are delivered, bookstore and food services. Pkgs for the college use several different addresses and we have accounted for these in PAS/EDD so it is simply a matter of reading the labels when I deliver. I normally go to the warehouse first but this week and next I will go to the bookstore first as they are stocking up for the semester and have most of the pkgs.

It sounds like the DOL for this area is in need of some major work, especially if the regular driver finds he has to come in an hour early just to sort. I would suggest that you get with the regular driver when he comes back and tell him the issues that you have had with his area and suggest that he work on his DOL or othewise do what he can to make his area easier for a cover driver to deliver. untril then, as has been mentioned above, one stop at a time, work safely, no shortcuts, and let the chips fall where they may.

atatbl

the only thing management has told me is that i need to work on my delivery scans. I can easily have 15-20 packages that my diad says is on my truck that isn't. So the next day they jump down my throat because i have so many missed scans. I just think that it is impossible to scan something that isnt on my tuck. But with the invention of a new diad we might actually be able to scan packages that are misloaded on someone elses truck while we are standing at the acutal package destination.

Write down all your "not founds" and put the list on your center manager's desk when you get in at night. I also had this problem. It seems like you are wasting time writing these down when you are already in a hurry, but trust me, it's worth it.

BTW you do understand that another driver may be hiding misloads in his pickups if you are getting 10-15 "missed scans" a day?

backinbrown

respect my authority
ATATBL
I'm not saying you are wrong but if he sends message with the missing pkgs it is documented and his butt is covered if he waits then they don't know about it and cant try to find the pkgs, its just strictly to cover his :censored2: send the message then don't worry anymore you did what you could.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He can also show his center manager the pkgs left in EDD before he punches out without having to write them down. You are right about other drivers burying misloads in their pickups or even in their forever bags but it would be hard to bury 10-15 misloads. Our center now does random check in audits as this had become a problem in our center. This has greatly reduced the number of missing scans and increased driver accountability.

backinbrown

respect my authority
When i cant find a pkg i take it out of edd by hitting cant find I really hate having stops in edd that i don't have bothers me to continuously look at it so i message center and then i cant find it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When i cant find a pkg i take it out of edd by hitting cant find I really hate having stops in edd that i don't have bothers me to continuously look at it so i message center and then i cant find it

You can also move the cursor down to the section that you are working on, which would serve the same purpose.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
One of my colleges on my rt has three basic stops like that but the other two are building deliveries each and every building (student dorms have one central delivery point). The sups are aware of the way the truck is loaded. We have had a problem with this for atleast 4 years. Four years ago i uded to preload load the truck. The problem was there then and still now.

backinbrown

respect my authority
As long as the driver who does the run gets it done it doesnt matter to them people who cover pay. he should not be aloud on his truck in morning to fix things that would force an eventual change cause he should have the same problem you do tell steward to keep him off truck he is working without bieng paid.

atatbl

ATATBL
I'm not saying you are wrong but if he sends message with the missing pkgs it is documented and his butt is covered if he waits then they don't know about it and cant try to find the pkgs, its just strictly to cover his :censored2: send the message then don't worry anymore you did what you could.

Yeah I definitely see what you are saying. When I started it just so happened that drivers in my loop did not like to del misloads. So they buried them. So I "missed scans" according to reports. It was about 2-3 a day. I just wrote them down. My center manager never thought twice about it being MY integrity issue. So he was fine with me just doing that.

It really pissed me off one day when I had a package with no service cross on it, an old pal, and it not in my edd. I called my center manager asked him to grab the missed scan report and we found that tracking number on there.

Needless to say, they are very serious about PM quality audits in our center now.