Computer based safety assessements and integrity.

brownIEman

brownIEman,

Here are the specifics of what he claims to have witnessed:

A part-time supervisor was at a computer and he was doing the computer based safety assessments.

The supervisor had a list of answers and a list of employee numbers and he was filling out the assessments for each employee number.

It's not much , but it's all I have for now.

It is my understanding that the employees are supposed to input their own answers on these computer based assessements.

Sincerely,
I

Then you do not have enough information to determine if this is a violation of integrity, IMO.

You are correct, the idea is that people input this information into the computer. If your belief is that the clicking the answers in the program with the mouse is the main focus of these assesments, then in no way shape or form is what you were told about integrity, and is wrong.

However, if you are willing to accept, as I believe you should, that the main intent of these programs is to instill knowledge in the workforce and then to test that knowledge, then it does not really matter who inputs the responses into the actual program.

Say I present this information to my workgroup, then hand out the test in hard copy, and have them take the test. Then I have a follow up discussion until everyone in the work group understand the correct answers and why they are the correct answers. I then log in for them and input the correct answers to roster their acquireing the knowledge.

Have I violated the integrity of the system to assure they have gotten the knowledge since I did not just have them take the test online until they get it 100%?

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Then you do not have enough information to determine if this is a violation of integrity, IMO.

You are correct, the idea is that people input this information into the computer. If your belief is that the clicking the answers in the program with the mouse is the main focus of these assesments, then in no way shape or form is what you were told about integrity, and is wrong.

However, if you are willing to accept, as I believe you should, that the main intent of these programs is to instill knowledge in the workforce and then to test that knowledge, then it does not really matter who inputs the responses into the actual program.

Say I present this information to my workgroup, then hand out the test in hard copy, and have them take the test. Then I have a follow up discussion until everyone in the work group understand the correct answers and why they are the correct answers. I then log in for them and input the correct answers to roster their acquireing the knowledge.

Have I violated the integrity of the system to assure they have gotten the knowledge since I did not just have them take the test online until they get it 100%?

No, you haven't. And don't go out of your way to convince "I" about it....he will refuse to understand. Troll is as troll does.

QKRSTKR

assessment - Wiktionary

I guess this is why I didn't understand. I believe I that if a supervisor inputed answers to safety questions of a quiz of some sort, then it would be wrong. I don't consider that an assessment. We however can be quizzed verbally, such as 8 keys to lifting/lowering. So in the long run it will catch up to these individuals.

Integrity

Binge Poster

I can agree with that.

I can agree with this.

I did not set up the assessments, I do not know what the documented intent of these are, but they should be done as they are required to be done.

The assessments do not instill knowledge they just assess the level of knowledge.

It matters if the instructions require the employee to take the assessment.

This is hard for me to decide.

Maybe you know this; Are other employees allowed to be using a computer at UPS on behalf of others? Aren't there written computer use guidelines?
brownIEman,

Answers and reponses above.

Sincerely,
I

iowa boy

brownIEman,

Here are the specifics of what he claims to have witnessed:

A part-time supervisor was at a computer and he was doing the computer based safety assessments.

The supervisor had a list of answers and a list of employee numbers and he was filling out the assessments for each employee number.

It's not much , but it's all I have for now.

It is my understanding that the employees are supposed to input their own answers on these computer based assessements.

Sincerely,
I

Now I'm not saying this is the right thing to do here, but what is the difference if the sup does it or if the employee does it? Regardless of who takes the test, you must achieve a score of 100% to pass....so how does the computer know who actually takes the test?

To me its a waste of my and UPSs' time to sit in front of a computer, with a cheat sheet in front of me, and take a test that I HAVE to pass. Why not just watch me do my job and then tell me how bad I suck, or how I'm least best. At least then the sup gets the satisfaction of watching me squirm and I get the satisfaction of laughing at him or her.

Integrity

Binge Poster
No, you haven't. And don't go out of your way to convince "I" about it....he will refuse to understand. Troll is as troll does.
LongTimeComing,

I know you weren't talking to me but since you referenced me, I will take the liberty to interject a response.

I often don't understand things or statements that is true.

The truth is I also often understand things.

My posting history and record can easily show that you are not basing this comment about me on facts. You are basing them on negative feelings you have for me.

In my opinion, your negative feelings about me are hindering your proper participation or non-participation in discussions that I am involved in.

Peace!

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Now I'm not saying this is the right thing to do here, but what is the difference if the sup does it or if the employee does it? Regardless of who takes the test, you must achieve a score of 100% to pass....so how does the computer know who actually takes the test?

To me its a waste of my and UPSs' time to sit in front of a computer, with a cheat sheet in front of me, and take a test that I HAVE to pass. Why not just watch me do my job and then tell me how bad I suck, or how I'm least best. At least then the sup gets the satisfaction of watching me squirm and I get the satisfaction of laughing at him or her.
iowa boy,

I can understand your point here.

Sincerely,
I

brownIEman

brownIEman,

Answers and reponses above.

Sincerely,
I

The assesments are a part of the overall training programs. They really are not even meant to asses the level of knowledge, they are more a means to document that the knowledge was successfully imparted.

There is a stated policy that ID's should not be shared and inasmuch as this was done in your scenario, that sup was violating that policy. Again, it comes done to which you consider more important, the letter of a policy/rule, or its intent.

For example, there is a stated polcy that UPS phones are to be used for UPS business purposes only. If a driver had no cell phone and his wife called in to say she was going into labor and heading to the hospital, it would technically be a violation of UPS policy for me to take that personal call and pass on that information. And it would be a violation I would make every time.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The assesments are a part of the overall training programs. They really are not even meant to asses the level of knowledge, they are more a means to document that the knowledge was successfully imparted.

There is a stated policy that ID's should not be shared and inasmuch as this was done in your scenario, that sup was violating that policy. Again, it comes done to which you consider more important, the letter of a policy/rule, or its intent.

For example, there is a stated polcy that UPS phones are to be used for UPS business purposes only. If a driver had no cell phone and his wife called in to say she was going into labor and heading to the hospital, it would technically be a violation of UPS policy for me to take that personal call and pass on that information. And it would be a violation I would make every time.
brownIEman,

I follow your argument and it is on the surface logically sound.

I am not saying I agree with your comparison, but I also am not saying I disagee.

I'm saying I am unsure how I feel about it.

I think debating this matter without having the written policies in front of me would probably not lead me to a firm position on this.

Peace.

Sincerely,
I

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
LongTimeComing,

I know you weren't talking to me but since you referenced me, I will take the liberty to interject a response.

I often don't understand things or statements that is true.

The truth is I also often understand things.

My posting history and record can easily show that you are not basing this comment about me on facts. You are basing them on negative feelings you have for me.

In my opinion, your negative feelings about me are hindering your proper participation or non-participation in discussions that I am involved in.

Peace!

Sincerely,
I

Your posts are a joke. They lead nowhere...ever. The just meander on and on and on because, like a small child, you just continually ask "but WHY?" to everything...when the answers you seek have already been given. You just have more questions. Questions questions questions. Questions about questions. Questioning the answers to the questions you asked about those questions.

You want an anwser about this thread?

Yes, it's a tad shady...it might even be breaking a rule. OH NOES!!!!! But, even if he was inputting the responses he got from his employees FOR them since it may not be logistically feasible for each of them to do it in a timely manner, who cares? Sometimes, you have to pick and choose what's a big deal....it's part of managing things. While this might fall in a shady area...there are much larger fish to fry.

What that devilish, scary Family Guy clip said was...."Who the hell cares?" There is your answer.

Sometimes you just have to accept things, even if you don't fully agree. If you continue to dissect peoples responses, including this one, questioning the basis for my opinions, questioning 'truths' or 'facts', dissecting things more.....this is what people consider trolling. You continue to agitate situations...by never being happy with an answer.

Be happy people didn't continue to troll and derail this thread, and that you got any sort of response that was even remotely related to what you asked....

Integrity

Binge Poster
Your posts are a joke. They lead nowhere...ever. The just meander on and on and on because, like a small child, you just continually ask "but WHY?" to everything...when the answers you seek have already been given. You just have more questions. Questions questions questions. Questions about questions. Questioning the answers to the questions you asked about those questions.

You want an anwser about this thread?

Yes, it's a tad shady...it might even be breaking a rule. OH NOES!!!!! But, even if he was inputting the responses he got from his employees FOR them since it may not be logistically feasible for each of them to do it in a timely manner, who cares? Sometimes, you have to pick and choose what's a big deal....it's part of managing things. While this might fall in a shady area...there are much larger fish to fry.

What that devilish, scary Family Guy clip said was...."Who the hell cares?" There is your answer.

Sometimes you just have to accept things, even if you don't fully agree. If you continue to dissect peoples responses, including this one, questioning the basis for my opinions, questioning 'truths' or 'facts', dissecting things more.....this is what people consider trolling. You continue to agitate situations...by never being happy with an answer.

Be happy people didn't continue to troll and derail this thread, and that you got any sort of response that was even remotely related to what you asked....
LongTimeComing,

Wow!

My concern for you grows.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
keep smokin that peace pipe i your posts really creep me out!! Really!!!!
ive gotta package 4u,

If I were prone to being creeped out as you seem to be then the amount of Brown Cafers who are fixated with my posts, my posting style and the level of anonymity I choose to maintain here on the BC would probably creep me out.

I am not prone to being creeped out but not reading my posts would probably solve your problem of being creeped out by them.

To each his own I guess.

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Click on "Settings".

Scroll down on the left hand side of the page to "Edit Ignore List".

Click on "Edit Ignore List".

Look halfway down the page to find "Add a Member to Your List". In the space below type in "Integrity" (no quotes). Click "Okay".

Check to see if Integrity has been added to your ignore list. If he has click on "Save Changes".

You're welcome.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Click on "Settings".

Scroll down on the left hand side of the page to "Edit Ignore List".

Click on "Edit Ignore List".

Look halfway down the page to find "Add a Member to Your List". In the space below type in "Integrity" (no quotes). Click "Okay".

Check to see if Integrity has been added to your ignore list. If he has click on "Save Changes".

You're welcome.
UpstateNYUPSer,

Thank You!

Sincerely,
I

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I seem to care a little bit that a supervisor is filling out my forms. It's done under my employee ID number. So when/if I get hurt they'll pull up these falsified forms that shows that I did an assessment blah blah blah blah blah...I know those are mostly not worth a damn in a panel hearing but they would waste my time. And speaking of time by them filling out my form, it takes away roughly 5-10 minutes of pay. It's UPS's policies - they need to make time for each employee to fill those out if they even hope to hold us accountable for their policies. I say it's stealing time. I'd be fired for this if things were reversed.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I seem to care a little bit that a supervisor is filling out my forms. It's done under my employee ID number. So when/if I get hurt they'll pull up these falsified forms that shows that I did an assessment blah blah blah blah blah...I know those are mostly not worth a damn in a panel hearing but they would waste my time. And speaking of time by them filling out my form, it takes away roughly 5-10 minutes of pay. It's UPS's policies - they need to make time for each employee to fill those out if they even hope to hold us accountable for their policies. I say it's stealing time. I'd be fired for this if things were reversed.
sortaisle,

I kind of feel the same way about this.

Sincerely,
I

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
ive gotta package 4u,

If I were prone to being creeped out as you seem to be then the amount of Brown Cafers who are fixated with my posts, my posting style and the level of anonymity I choose to maintain here on the BC would probably creep me out.

I am not prone to being creeped out but not reading my posts would probably solve your problem of being creeped out by them.

To each his own I guess.

Sincerely,
I

You are giving yourself too much credit....