Confidentiality question

dillweed

If there's anyone here that knows about this, I'd appreciate some input. If I have a medical issue going on and give required info/doctor notice or hospital discharge to ft sup is it private or can he/she tell others and allow it to be fodder for gossip around the center?

I have had a situation and will be turning in verification. I'd like to mention to the sup that I expect it be kept confidential but don't know if I have that right. Thanks, dw

menotyou

bella amicizia
Absolutely, it is confidential. I wouldn't give it to them, either. I would be faxing to the UPS nurse in your area. I would write across the top in bold letters-CONFIDENTIAL.

If you are near/covered by Albany, I can call someone and see what the procedure should be.

Returntosender

Nothing is confidential at UPS. You are lying to yourself if think confidential exists. The company uses your problems against you.

dillweed

Thanks to both of you and I agree with both of you. The issue is not work related. I have hospital discharge papers that, in one spot, indicate what the problem is. Actually, I was only out two days. I have no attendance problem whatsoever and am not required to give them a thing. Perhaps that's what I will give them. Nothing.

over9five

Staff member
Two days? Most of us have banged in for longer than that. Not only should you give them nothing, they probably don't want anything.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Thanks to both of you and I agree with both of you. The issue is not work related. I have hospital discharge papers that, in one spot, indicate what the problem is. Actually, I was only out two days. I have no attendance problem whatsoever and am not required to give them a thing. Perhaps that's what I will give them. Nothing.
Give them nothing. If forced(not sure how they could-but, just in case) make a copy and on the copy black out the reason.
They deserve nothing after the stunts they are pulling all over the US of A.

BLACKBALLED

I agree with Menotyou it should be held as confidential, but like i have experienced with this company during the years I was there, confientiality is not big on any list, includes, HR, Corporate etc... I would not say it if I had not experienced it.

klein

Für Meno :)
Same here, give nothing !
But the problem is, I really believe and almost know, that the medical health insurance files are open to employers.
They basically get the info at 1 time or another, even what medication you are on.

I know it's not fair and shouldn't be allowed, but the employers and insurance companies say otherwise !
I have been thru it, and wanted it to be kept confidential, but my former employer requested files from the insurance company, and even after talking to the insurance company, they told me is was the Employers right to get access, since they paid for the service/insurance premium (medication, time off).

It's awlful out there !

menotyou

bella amicizia
Same here, give nothing !
But the problem is, I really believe and almost know, that the medical health insurance files are open to employers.
They basically get the info at 1 time or another, even what medication you are on.

I know it's not fair and shouldn't be allowed, but the employers and insurance companies say otherwise !
I have been thru it, and wanted it to be kept confidential, but my former employer requested files from the insurance company, and even after talking to the insurance company, they told me is was the Employers right to get access, since they paid for the service/insurance premium (medication, time off).

It's awlful out there !
I think the laws here are different. I don't think it matters who pays. On comp, they have a right to the records, only.

klein

Für Meno :)
I think the laws here are different. I don't think it matters who pays. On comp, they have a right to the records, only.

Not just comp, but short and long-term disability, too.
So, that wonders me if they know even more than they should.

If there's anyone here that knows about this, I'd appreciate some input. If I have a medical issue going on and give required info/doctor notice or hospital discharge to ft sup is it private or can he/she tell others and allow it to be fodder for gossip around the center?

I have had a situation and will be turning in verification. I'd like to mention to the sup that I expect it be kept confidential but don't know if I have that right. Thanks, dw

You have to do nothing more than provide notice that you are fit for service. No details other than that. Anything else is a violation of your HEPA rights.

pretzel_man

Dill,

I relaize that what is supposed to happen and what does happen can be two different things, but....

You information is absolutely, 100% supposed to be confidential. In fact, your sup should probably NOT have taken anything from you unless it was sealed. The info should go to HR only....

If your information gets out, you have a valid lawsuit against UPS.

Best of luck.

bluehdmc

You don't have to tell them anything. This is covered by HIPPA, the Health Insurance Portability and Privacy Act. This was set up years ago when they started COBRA benefits. (it's also a protection for people with HIV). If you call in sick, that's all they have to know. NOT, "What's wrong?"
If you're out for an operation or something they can require a return to work physical, then of course the doctor giving the physical can ask what kind of operation and I'm sure HR would get a copy but if it becomes the topic of discussion around the water cooler, someone could get sued. (if you could find out who leaked the info)

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
There's no such thing as complete confidentiality. If you don't want anyone to know, don't disclose it to anyone. If you want to provide a note, just get one that says "under physicians care"

If I'm reading it correctly, HIPAA prohibits the doctor from releasing information. It does not prohibit the employer from asking for it and it does not require that the information be kept strictly confidential.

Employers and Health Information in the Workplace

Something else you could do is to Google the most disgusting medical ailment you can find and if they ask about your absence go into great detail until they A) puke or B) tell you they don`t need to know.

dillweed

cachsux - great, I needed that. OK, all is well for the time being but if I surgery I don't need to tell them squat. Just have doctor verification as to when. Yep, if they want to take the time to dig up records from the insurance company they probably could but it would take time away from them screwing with people right there in the center.

sosocal

Menotyou had great advice...deal with the district occupational health nurse or dept. In my expirience as a manager they have always been professional confidential and decent in general.