Confused, Glossary of terms....?

MuppetUK

Hey guys, has anyone ever thought of putting up some sort of glossary on here of abbreviations and what they mean and commonly used terms?
It seems most of the posters on here are either package car drivers or Loaders/Unloaders. I am a feeder driver that moved to UPS via the Lynx Express aquisition in the UK.
When i worked at the Lynx main sortation hub, I knew how everything worked. I had Unloaded/Loaded trailers, worked on the coding (sorting parcels to the correct trailers), operated the sortation machine including helping at times to fix it. I also helped out in Operations before I moved to the driving, where due to a mechanical background I often fix minor faults on my truck myself. What i can't understand is most people at Lynx knew how the system worked and what everyone else had to do which made the job easier but since moving to UPS, I haven't got a clue. I seem to come across a large amount of abbreviations for everything under the sun and i haven't got a clue what they mean. I figured out what a DIAD is for but what are 1000s, 1200s etc on a package van? Nobody tells us anything at UPS. Just for example, I collected a load from a customer today and the truck seemed heavy. I wanted to weigh it to see if it was overweight. However, though we have a brand new axle weigher, there are no instructions on it and no-one knows how to use it!:angry:
Anyway what about the glossary idea? Anyone?

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
1200's and 1000's and 8000's refer to the shelf numbers on a package car.... lvd is low volume direct.... hvd is high volume direct...... pd is primary direct...those are the only ones i can think of but there many more:peaceful:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
1200's and 1000's
really? and to think all these years i heard them as package car sizes. allong with 250, 300, 500, 600, 800, and of course big bertha. not to mention a smattering of odd sized vehicles. and correct me if i am wrong, but there are pkg cars larger than the 1200 as well? i remember one brand new one many years back used as a feeder one night, it went on forever. even had air brakes as i recall.

d

drewed

Shankman
really? and to think all these years i heard them as package car sizes. allong with 250, 300, 500, 600, 800, and of course big bertha. not to mention a smattering of odd sized vehicles. and correct me if i am wrong, but there are pkg cars larger than the 1200 as well? i remember one brand new one many years back used as a feeder one night, it went on forever. even had air brakes as i recall.

d
thats what my thinking was, dont the shelfs on the trucks go in full 1000 increments?

Cheryl this may not be that bad of an idea, create some like a wikipdia, where the users can submit terms and definetion (and pics if warranted), i dont what that would take on your end, im sure most of the active users would particpate in this

haydendavid380

is property of UPS

d

imho I thought he was talking about hin numbers

LiL"Comet"

Hey guys, has anyone ever thought of putting up some sort of glossary on here of abbreviations and what they mean and commonly used terms?
It seems most of the posters on here are either package car drivers or Loaders/Unloaders. I am a feeder driver that moved to UPS via the Lynx Express aquisition in the UK.
When i worked at the Lynx main sortation hub, I knew how everything worked. I had Unloaded/Loaded trailers, worked on the coding (sorting parcels to the correct trailers), operated the sortation machine including helping at times to fix it. I also helped out in Operations before I moved to the driving, where due to a mechanical background I often fix minor faults on my truck myself. What i can't understand is most people at Lynx knew how the system worked and what everyone else had to do which made the job easier but since moving to UPS, I haven't got a clue. I seem to come across a large amount of abbreviations for everything under the sun and i haven't got a clue what they mean. I figured out what a DIAD is for but what are 1000s, 1200s etc on a package van? Nobody tells us anything at UPS. Just for example, I collected a load from a customer today and the truck seemed heavy. I wanted to weigh it to see if it was overweight. However, though we have a brand new axle weigher, there are no instructions on it and no-one knows how to use it!:angry:
Anyway what about the glossary idea? Anyone?

That's crazy your post, i was just laughing another co-worker the other day about our lingo here @ brown-dog house. We diffenitly have our own terminology we do need a dic. for everyone to look at when someone says something they are thinking in there mind "what the hell does that mean". LOL:confused2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's a C.O.D. to my C.P.A. regarding the I.R.S. and I'm an O.B.G.Y.N. in the A.M.A. working in the E.R.

Everybody needs translation services!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
OH!!!!!!!!! OK :confused2: I think I get it. I am in a tiny little center that barely has enough room to turn around in so alot of the things that are in the bigger centers are about as foriegn(?) to me as speaking greek is. LOL

DS

Fenderbender
I think that is a smashing idea.

There are still terms that I don't know. Like what is a jax slide?
Yes just smashing:) jax -Jacksonville?
irregs-small spider eggs that get in your ears from indonesian packages
peak-what a driver with way too much work does before bringing back missed deliveries
air in load-maybe the midnight burrito's were a bad idea
space cushion-a buzz lightyear pillow with to infinity and beyond on it
big arrow up/down-native dating chat

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Yes just smashing:) jax -Jacksonville?
irregs-small spider eggs that get in your ears from indonesian packages
peak-what a driver with way too much work does before bringing back missed deliveries
air in load-maybe the midnight burrito's were a bad idea
space cushion-a buzz lightyear pillow with to infinity and beyond on it
big arrow up/down-native dating chat

yes jax is jacksonville

CBUK

Americans are obsessed with abbreviations.

I can see MuppetUK's point.

What does DIAD stand for?

I always thought it was Direct Information Acquisition Device. Someone told me the other day that it is actually Delivery Information Acquisition Device.

Am I right or wrong?

Theres more than just Delivery information in there!