Confusing Fedex job posting

I'm looking for a driving job and trying to figure out if this is or isn't. Can someone help me out here :)

The posting is :Handler Non-DOT, Mon-Fri, 630p-10p, $14.30/hr + benefits

But the description says:
Driver / Operator Of Company Vehicles, Providing Courteous And Efficient Delivery And Pick-Up Of Packages. Checks Shipments For Conformance To Fedex Features Of Service And Provides Related Customer Service Functions.

High School Diploma/G.E.D. Must Be Licensed For Type Of Vehicle Assigned. Ability To Lift 75 Lbs. Ability To Maneuver Packages Of Any Weight Above 75 Lbs With Appropriate Equipment And/Or Assistance From Another Person. Good Human Relations And Verbal Communication Skills. Neat Appearance Since Customer Contact Is Required. Must Meet Qualifications As Outlined In Section 391 Of The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. Requires Medical Exam In Accordance With Fhwa Or Faa Regulations.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm looking for a driving job and trying to figure out if this is or isn't. Can someone help me out here :)

The posting is :Handler Non-DOT, Mon-Fri, 630p-10p, $14.30/hr + benefits

But the description says:
Driver / Operator Of Company Vehicles, Providing Courteous And Efficient Delivery And Pick-Up Of Packages. Checks Shipments For Conformance To Fedex Features Of Service And Provides Related Customer Service Functions.

High School Diploma/G.E.D. Must Be Licensed For Type Of Vehicle Assigned. Ability To Lift 75 Lbs. Ability To Maneuver Packages Of Any Weight Above 75 Lbs With Appropriate Equipment And/Or Assistance From Another Person. Good Human Relations And Verbal Communication Skills. Neat Appearance Since Customer Contact Is Required. Must Meet Qualifications As Outlined In Section 391 Of The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. Requires Medical Exam In Accordance With Fhwa Or Faa Regulations.

Only you know and I know, Dave.

Oldfart

Handlers are used to shuttle freight or scan freight at bulk accounts. Has to pass a defensive driving class. Non dot will be small van, econoline or sprinter van.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If I had to guess, I would think that since it’s a PM position, you might have to shuttle freight to the airport and possibly park trucks in the building, in addition to loading unloading trucks. It’s not a courier/driving job.

Same day city is not Express. That’s the one you want.

Do the courier jobs usually go to people who already work for Fedex? I do have delivering experience. I was a route sales rep/delivery driver for Snyders of Hanover Pretzels for 5 years and the same job for Brownberry Bread for 3 years. Do I have any chance?

MAKAVELI

Do the courier jobs usually go to people who already work for Fedex? I do have delivering experience. I was a route sales rep/delivery driver for Snyders of Hanover Pretzels for 5 years and the same job for Brownberry Bread for 3 years. Do I have any chance?
If it's posted online it's open to anyone. If you can pass a background and a drug test you're golden.:happy2:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
At my station you only have to be breathing and pass the drug test, have a decent driving record, and pass the background check.

How often do these jobs usually become available and what are the hours/pay/benefits. Just wondering, cause I'm sort of looking for a big change in my life. If they don't become available often, I would be willing to move to another state. I'm currently in Illinois.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
How often do these jobs usually become available and what are the hours/pay/benefits. Just wondering, cause I'm sort of looking for a big change in my life. If they don't become available often, I would be willing to move to another state. I'm currently in Illinois.
They come available very often in some areas, like where I live. In small towns, probably not so much. The pay varies by location supposedly by cost of living and how hard it is to keep people. Hours vary also. Some areas only hire PT. Other areas, like where I am will hire FT cover drivers. Benefits are okay, not great.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Now if you are a part time courier, do they require you to also help handling and sorting packages too?
Everyone has a position during the sort. What you will do depends on your start time and position. That’s for the AM sort. For the PM sort, it varies from station to station. Some couriers help, others go home after they come back from their night route.

SmithBarney

They come available because of two reasons:
1. Nobody at FedEx wants it, usually a crappy route, but it's a foot in the door at least.
2. Nobody at FedEx wants it...