Congestion In the Yard

Integrity

Binge Poster
To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

The yard seems suddenly to be packed with feeders, tractors and package cars. It is way over capacity and creates some significant job hazards.

The travel paths have been compromised.

The Space and Visibility is compromised.

I am concerned about the increase in vehicle accidents and injury risks as a result.

Sincerely,
I

oldngray

nowhere special
I would advise a good decongestant.

decongestant_14210_11_%28big%29_.jpeg

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Under "Risk Management", there is a section titled "Yard Control". If you read that you'll find the rules and procedures that need to be followed to prevent hazards such as you described.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Under "Risk Management", there is a section titled "Yard Control". If you read that you'll find the rules and procedures that need to be followed to prevent hazards such as you described.
ChickenLegs,

Yard Control safety procedures are excellent but if you review your MOP specific to you location then you will probably find that part of the MOP is for vehicles only to be parked in specified parking areas.

The effectiveness of yard safety control procedures will decrease in accordance with the misuse of the yard.

Sincerely,
I

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

The yard seems suddenly to be packed with feeders, tractors and package cars. It is way over capacity and creates some significant job hazards.

The travel paths have been compromised.

The Space and Visibility is compromised.

I am concerned about the increase in vehicle accidents and injury risks as a result.

Sincerely,
I
Aren't the DOK yard control procedures supposed to prevent yard accidents and injuries?

upschuck

upschuck,

That is awesome.

That is a real good solution even if more property has to be purchased locally even if it is a little off site.

Sincerely,
I
It is probably a hundred+ trailer lot. I think we had already owned the property, and had tried selling it, but no takers, so they built the lot.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Integrity here's something you need to keep in mind. Volume has skyrocketed the last few years. Many centers including mine are likely in the process of searching for land to build a larger center. However on a corporate these things take a lot of time.

As a pedestrian walking through the lot it's on you to pay attention and not get hit by a tractor.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Visibility issues are obvious.

Not to me. That's why I asked for clarification. Who's visibility is obstructed? What's causing the obstruction?

In refrence to feeders parking in travel paths, you have not mentioned who's travel path? Pedestrians? Why are they parked in that location?