Congress May Spend More On The Benghazi Panel Than On The Veterans Affairs Committee

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...get_n_5565430.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013

House Republicans have requested nearly $3.3 million to operate the select committee investigating Benghazi, which gives the GOP-launched committee a bigger budget than that granted to the committee overseeing the troubled Department of Veterans Affairs.

According to a committee document provided to USA Today by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's (D-Calif.) office, the budget provides about $2.2 million for the seven Republican lawmakers on the panel and a little over $1 million for the five Democrats. In contrast, the House Veterans Affairs Committee and Ethics Committee were each granted budgets of $3 million in 2014.

A spokesperson for committee chairman Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) told USA Today that the number is a "high end estimate," and comes from previously appropriated funds.

Despite the high-profile allegations of long wait times and fudged records at the VA, the congressional committees overseeing the agency remain some of the least politically powerful on Capitol Hill. Since Veterans Affairs offers few opportunities toreap the benefits of sitting on other, high-powered panels (i.e., Financial Services), the committee is almost entirely populated by rookie lawmakers with little leverage.

The Huffington Post's Ryan Grim reported last month:

Because the committee has so few senior members, it has little access to congressional leadership, cable news, the White House or the various levers of power in Washington. It should be little surprise then that a powerless committee has found itself powerless to oversee the VA.

The panel members' lack of experience also makes them less effective. "You have green and inattentive members on the committee, very few who are willing to conduct systematic oversight," said Cooper. "Most couldn't name senior officials below the secretary level. Most don't know how [the VA system] works. The warnings were not heeded."

The Benghazi panel, which was proposed by lawmakers earlier this year with no set budget, will investigate the 2012 attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya. While the committee was formed in May, Gowdy says the panel has just begun its preliminary investigation work and is still in the process of hiring around 30 staffers to work on the committee.

“Obviously, going from not existing to fully functioning takes some time,” Gowdy toldPolitico of the committee's slow start. “Hiring staff is widely important but not always terribly exciting from a reader’s or viewer’s standpoint. …. You have to do that before you can fully constitute a committee and start work.”

RELATED ON HUFFPOST:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Your post starts with money $3.3 million and somebody asking for that amount..............asking for money IS NOT unrelated to your thread.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Your post starts with money $3.3 million and somebody asking for that amount..............asking for money IS NOT unrelated to your thread.
and......................... the irony of spending even more money on a very dead horse than is being spent to overhaul the VA for our Veterans is completely lost on you.
DO try and keep up with the subjects presented

oldngray

nowhere special
Despite Obama's attempts to kill the issue it is definitely not a dead horse. He just wishes it was. And whatever happened to his promise to investigate? Along with his promise of transparency? If the administration would stop stonewalling at every step the investigation would have been concluded by now. So any expenses are on Obama for his delaying tactics.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Despite Obama's attempts to kill the issue it is definitely not a dead horse. He just wishes it was. And whatever happened to his promise to investigate? Along with his promise of transparency? If the administration would stop stonewalling at every step the investigation would have been concluded by now. So any expenses are on Obama for his delaying tactics.

HAHA,,, what happened to your concern for the deficit?

Did that just disappear? If you dont know what happened in bengazi, then you truly are disconnected.

TOS.

av8torntn

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...get_n_5565430.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013

House Republicans have requested nearly $3.3 million to operate the select committee investigating Benghazi, which gives the GOP-launched committee a bigger budget than that granted to the committee overseeing the troubled Department of Veterans Affairs.

According to a committee document provided to USA Today by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's (D-Calif.) office, the budget provides about $2.2 million for the seven Republican lawmakers on the panel and a little over $1 million for the five Democrats. In contrast, the House Veterans Affairs Committee and Ethics Committee were each granted budgets of $3 million in 2014.

So Huffington post is saying that 6 million is less than 3.2 million?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
my bloody oath it IS a Dead Horse! how many investigations have there been already? four,five ,six? the last one was this year and since the results weren't what Fox News and teh Republicans wanted they want to throw tax Payer money into yet another "investigation". This is simply yet ANOTHER Republican sideshow that is unlikely to unearth any new information

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Bless your little heart,is that all you have?
Very poor effort to try and derail the thread with a subject completely unrelated to my post.
Bless his heart, 728 doesn't understand the difference between millions and billions.

Bringdough

and......................... the irony of spending even more money on a very dead horse than is being spent to overhaul the VA for our Veterans is completely lost on you.
DO try and keep up with the subjects presented
You have to spend money to get to the bottom on that "dead horse", oh, I mean ambassador Stevens. It might take 3 million to find out where Obama was during the attack. Was he packing for Vegas fundraiser? Was he asleep? We don't know because he won't say. And the issue isn't wasting money, if that was the case you should pitching a fit over the 100 billion the IRS paid out that they shouldn't have. Your problem is lib spending is fine, money spent against you is bad. Is the on topic or did I stray?

Sent using BrownCafe App

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
You have to spend money to get to the bottom on that "dead horse", oh, I mean ambassador Stevens. It might take 3 million to find out where Obama was during the attack. Was he packing for Vegas fundraiser? Was he asleep? We don't know because he won't say. And the issue isn't wasting money, if that was the case you should pitching a fit over the 100 billion the IRS paid out that they shouldn't have. Your problem is lib spending is fine, money spent against you is bad. Is the on topic or did I stray?

Sent using BrownCafe App
you really need to get your news information from Credible Sources. Quoting Fox News snips is very unimpressive

Bringdough

you really need to get your news information from Credible Sources. Quoting Fox News snips is very unimpressive
Fox News... Fox News... I just re read my post, I didn't quote anyone. Did hit your head recently? You must be careful not to hit your head when you kiss your tv when Anderson cooper, or Chris Matthews is on. If you think other media has a monopoly on the truth you are sadly mistaken.

Sent using BrownCafe App

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Fox News... Fox News... I just re read my post, I didn't quote anyone. Did hit your head recently? You must be careful not to hit your head when you kiss your tv when Anderson cooper, or Chris Matthews is on. If you think other media has a monopoly on the truth you are sadly mistaken.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Nearly every post you make sounds like snippets from Fox News

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Bless his heart, 728 doesn't understand the difference between millions and billions.
Sure I do: the president wants Billions to secure the border, and benefit the entire country and the Republicans want to throw Millions into yet another Republican Sideshow as the previous six or seven "investigations' havent given them the results they want.
This is MILLIONS of Dollars that could aid our veterans,feed hungry children,or benefit the US Citizens in any number of ways