Congress out of control?

over9five

Staff member
I heard some extremely disturbing things on the news yesterday. I apologize for not looking up who said what, I've been spray painting my minds a little fumed out.... But anyhow....

Someone suggested AIG officials should "commit suicide"? That's very weird...

After the AIG biggies got their CONTRACTUAL bonuses, someone wanted to tax it at 1000%? Change the law to target these people? That's plain un-American AND illegal, I think. (Might have been Diane Feinstein that said that).

There was talk about voiding this contract. That's a BIG slippery slope. That would set a precedent that contracts are not worth a damn.

And this is our Congress. Asking people to commit suicide. Using the IRS to target people they don't like. Changing laws that they say will make people that have received bonuses in the past return that money.

What is wrong with this picture?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That was Charles Grassley with the suicide line, I actually thought it was pretty funny. Congress has always been a circus, I don't think things have gotten measurably worse lately.

Sammie

And this is our Congress. Asking people to commit suicide. Using the IRS to target people they don't like. Changing laws that they say will make people that have received bonuses in the past return that money.

What is wrong with this picture?

You're right. What a screw fest. If the economy's in the crapper now, imagine what it could turn into if business owners think the govt has the right to step in and ignore their contracts. Teamsters beware once O. figures out how overpaid you drivers are.

AIG told the govt all about these bonuses the first time they filed for help, but the Fed Reserve, one of whom I mentioned elsewhere is our own Scott Davis, didn't let the new Admin know this right away. Which more than likely makes them legal.

You know this isn't the end of the bailouts, and since our leaders created them in the first place, why aren't we reading about dignified safeguards they're creating within them for future handouts, rather than them acting like guests on Maury Povich?

And you're right again. From the top to the bottom, "Resign or Commit Suicide" is even more classy than our "Don't like it, Leave."

Overpaid Union Thug

Isn't odd that these guys were so quick to sign a bill, which was in itself unconstitutional, without really reading it only to end up passing another unconstitutional bill to correct a mistake that was only allowed to happen (stimulus aloud bonuses) because of the first one? Yep....I have absolutely no confidence in our government now. At least there were some conservatives that had the nerve to vote against the taxing of bonuses.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Think of it like this. If your brother lost money gambling and asked you for a loan, reluctantly you gave him 1,000 bucks. The next week you go to his house and he has a new stereo and xbox 360. Wouldn't you be bent just a little and want that money back??????

I am no way condoning what has been going on, nor do I like it, but the bail out money was in thousands of pages of crap and they missed it. It is not like they are regulating all companies that give out bonuses just the ones that they gave billions of dollars.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I am no way condoning what has been going on, nor do I like it, but the bail out money was in thousands of pages of crap and they missed it. It is not like they are regulating all companies that give out bonuses just the ones that they gave billions of dollars.

First off you are assuming that they actually read what they were voting on.
Which no one did.
Secondly, the issues of bonuses was know about last Dec., yet no one did anything about stopping it until now.
Thirdly government should not be in charge of businesses. These government fools think they have all the answers when in fact they cause more conflict.

Does anyone remember the old bailout of Chrysler ? That debate took months before a penny was given. And all monies were paid back.
Unlike today , everything has to be done NOW. This is the same rash mode of thinking that caused many people today to have financial problems.

So I ask the president of change, why the mad dash ?

tieguy

Banned
I don't particularly blame AIG . I blame our congress who carelessly throws our tax dollars around without any preconditions. If a junkie asks you for twenty bucks to get something to eat you should know the junkie will buy booze with the money if you give it to him. In this case Aig clealy got into trouble because they mismanaged thier finances. Yet congress hands them our tax dollars without any stipulations and somehow believes AIG will be frugal with our money this time?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I don't particularly blame AIG . I blame our congress who carelessly throws our tax dollars around without any preconditions. If a junkie asks you for twenty bucks to get something to eat you should know the junkie will buy booze with the money if you give it to him. In this case Aig clealy got into trouble because they mismanaged thier finances. Yet congress hands them our tax dollars without any stipulations and somehow believes AIG will be frugal with our money this time?

well said

Channahon

How entertaining to see all the finger pointing so early in Barack's administration.

Congress is made of up lawyers, and you would think someone would have gone over the contracts with the bailout companies, to ensure the monies given, would benefit "Main St", not corporate executives.

Just another example of how inept and wasteful our government is with taxpayer monies. It's all about greed and political party affiliation, not the taxpayers best interest.

JMO

wkmac

Just another example of how inept and wasteful our government is with taxpayer monies. It's all about greed and political party affiliation, not the taxpayers best interest.

And which one of the 2 parties known for the kind of crap you described above did you vote for in the last election?

Seriously, if you act and conduct yourself in a certain way and never have to face consequences from it, where is the incentive to ever change?

tieguy

Banned
And which one of the 2 parties known for the kind of crap you described above did you vote for in the last election?

Seriously, if you act and conduct yourself in a certain way and never have to face consequences from it, where is the incentive to ever change?

you didn't just ask chan if she voted for biden, pelosi and the likes did you?

tourists24

Wait a minute,,, I thought Obama was all about change?