Considering Employment with the "Brown"

jprinzz

I have joined these forums as I am considering employment at ups for the long term or as a career.

My background; Well for the last 4 years I have worked oilfield , it has since slowed and I am working in refineries now. I just always wanted to be a driver at ups. I know I have to work my way up from part time packager, which I would do.

My question is how long does it take on average to go from part time packager to full time employee? Im specifically talking around the Texas area in san antonio? Does working there pay off as well as some people say it does? I would ultimately just like to drive and have a route locally. I have a class a cdl but do not expect to use it.

Aside from all that how strict are they on driving records when considering you for a driving position. More than the average ?

Any info is appreciated.

Thx , John

mjjlohn

San Antonio and Austin wait times are less than 3 years to drive. Austin is also the worst operation in the country.

jprinzz

San Antonio and Austin wait times are less than 3 years to drive. Austin is also the worst operation in the country.

out of curiosity what makes Austin the worst operation? The highway system/road system seem to be horrible but aside from that what its just horrible? So you would say San Antonio would be a descent spot to be working for ups at?

Thx, John

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I have joined these forums as I am considering employment at ups for the long term or as a career.

My background; Well for the last 4 years I have worked oilfield , it has since slowed and I am working in refineries now. I just always wanted to be a driver at ups. I know I have to work my way up from part time packager, which I would do.

My question is how long does it take on average to go from part time packager to full time employee? Im specifically talking around the Texas area in san antonio? Does working there pay off as well as some people say it does? I would ultimately just like to drive and have a route locally. I have a class a cdl but do not expect to use it.

Aside from all that how strict are they on driving records when considering you for a driving position. More than the average ?

Any info is appreciated.

Thx , John

Pretty strict on driving record John. What do you have on yours if I might ask

jprinzz

Pretty strict on driving record John. What do you have on yours if I might ask

Well I have not sealed my record. I do have a dwi that I got dismissed. Aside from that I got a DUI from when i was 20 and had beer in my possesion and was given a dui, not for being under the influence but for just having beer in my car lol. It got dismissed as well. Both these things show up on the record as dismissed but I have not sealed my record yet so it will still show. Damn thing cost 2-3k to seal.

Aside from that I have only had 1 traffic violation in the last 5 years nearly.

1 accident in 3 years (was their fault) good old crazy drivers in houston.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
This was posted on here recently. You might want to check it out. VVVVV
The Independance bldg in Ft Worth is currently filling 50 plus FT feeder positions and only a handful of pkg drivers bid. The rest are part timers, some with only 6 months of seniority. And it looks like they will have to go off the street to get the full 50 plus positions. Crazy.