Consumer fraud

barnyard

KTM rider
My wife's employer threatened a fraud suit over NDAs that were sheeted as either moved or closed or NSN. All were delivered the same day, none made the 10:30 commit. All were to the same address.

I am betting the reason UPS lets it go is that FedEx does it also. There are Ground contractors that only go to some towns 2x per week. The Express guy that is in my area says he never has a day where he makes commit on every time commit package in his truck. During the holidays, he also has areas that only sees service 1 or 2 days per week.

It seems that we can get away with it, because we don't do it as much as FedEx.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
A customer can understand a screw up. It happens. Lying about it makes it unethical. Same thing with a driver. If I screw up I tell them I screwed up. Nothing shuts them up like being honest.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
BM, people like you sleep well at night. They are not worried about when the other shoe will fall.

When delivering late air, if it was some miscalculation on my part, I told the customer so. Never had a customer give me grief over something I did wrong, because they all knew I did the best I could to meet their needs. Several actually made Fedex move out of the door when I got there, or made them wait while I delivered first because of that relationship.

But I also never covered for over dispatch by management either. IT is what it is. Black or white, no grey.

d

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Known closed is how we do it in our building.

I dont think any of the custormers have caught on.

I had an area missing one day, firgured they had put in on another driver, over a few weeks I found they are holding them in the building, Not Business stops but house stops.

I am not sure why we are doing this, I am not sure anyone cares. I know if I was a customer, either shiping or recieving I would be PO'd if I ever found out.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This practice happens at all UPS facilities and it is in no way an isolated incident. The center management team will try to avoid showing up on ANY of the various lists that are available the next morning by having packages sheeted improperly.

The most common "mis-codings" are:

1) security
2) emergency conditions
3) Not ready 1 (even though this is a pickup code)
4) left in building at destination (even if they rode around the city all day)
5) weather delays (even in so california)

These should be considered a dishonest act by the management team collectively when it is used as a practice. Any supervisory team found to be using this practice should be discharged on the spot the moment it is discovered or reported by an hourly employee.

Unfortunately, the company merely looks the other way on this issue. It has been reported to upper management for years and the best we can get out of them is "we will look into it".

Numbers mean more than service in todays UPS. When a driver service fails 1 package for the day, you would think the world was ending as the company goes on and on about the customer and the like, but when you can show literally hundreds of failed packages to them on 1 business day and mis-coded they dont quite feel the same way about the customers.

Its the same ole' UPS double talk.

Calling the hotline is a joke, calling atlanta is a joke, we can only sit back and watch those responsible for disciplining us when we mess up on 1 package, fail hundreds of pieces and go on like nothing happened.

IF the company truly cared about service in todays UPS, they would terminate anyone in charge who instructs any employee to false code a package intending to defraud the customer out of a legitimate attempt on a paid package.

No driver who has seen this practice in his hub is alone on this issue.

Peace.