Contract help

Rack em

Made the Podium
In the new contract I remember reading somewhere that a driver can't be forced to complete more than one progression, but I cannot find it again. Can anyone help me out and post the article and section?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
In the new contract I remember reading somewhere that a driver can't be forced to complete more than one progression, but I cannot find it again. Can anyone help me out and post the article and section?

I'll have to double check, but I think it's in article 41, and it's for all ft employees.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Section 2. Full-time Wage Progression
(a) Notwithstanding any provision in any Supplements, Riders or Addendum the progressions set forth in Sections 2(c) and 3 below will be controlling with regard to any employee entering a full-time job after August 1, 2018 covered by those Sections.
(b) No employee shall be required to complete a full-time progres- sion more than one (1) time even if he or she transfers between full-time jobs except as set forth in this paragraph. The sole excep- tion is when an employee is awarded a package car or feeder driv- er job and has not previously held a full-time job which includes driving duties. In such event, the employee will have a break-in rate equal to the employee’s current wage rate until six (6) months from the date the employee entered the job. The employee will then go to the prevailing top rate. A part-time air driver who has completed the Article 40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver job within two (2) years shall have the same break-in period.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Section 2. Full-time Wage Progression
(a) Notwithstanding any provision in any Supplements, Riders or Addendum the progressions set forth in Sections 2(c) and 3 below will be controlling with regard to any employee entering a full-time job after August 1, 2018 covered by those Sections.
(b) No employee shall be required to complete a full-time progres- sion more than one (1) time even if he or she transfers between full-time jobs except as set forth in this paragraph. The sole excep- tion is when an employee is awarded a package car or feeder driv- er job and has not previously held a full-time job which includes driving duties. In such event, the employee will have a break-in rate equal to the employee’s current wage rate until six (6) months from the date the employee entered the job. The employee will then go to the prevailing top rate. A part-time air driver who has completed the Article 40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver job within two (2) years shall have the same break-in period.
Thank you!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Thank you!
giphy (38).gif

Mind if I ask what you need the language for?

I'll bet he's considering bidding on one of those sweet new 22.4 iobs everyone's been raving about.:laughing:

PT Car Washer

A driver moved to our center and they are making him re qualify which is whatever, but I don't wanna see him have to go through progression again.
A driver moved to our center and they are making him re qualify which is whatever, but I don't wanna see him have to go through progression again.
Both drivers that transferred to our Center from out of state had to re qualify. They still kept their pay rate.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

As long as it's a legit transfer with continuity of employment, he should be good to go. If he had to quit and get rehired, that's a different issue. As for requalifying, that may be a questionable if he gets dq'd.

Article 6 section 9 of the Western:

"Package car drivers who transfer shall receive the appropriate fringe benefts and rate of pay in effect at their new location. Those employees shall also be subject to all contract provisions of the applicable Rider and/or Addendum in effect at their new location."

If the driver doesn't qualify, then what? Does he get the chance to go back to his old position? Is he forced to work inside or quit? Hopefully he qualifies with no issues, but if he doesn't, he should probably grieve it.

Rack em

Made the Podium
As long as it's a legit transfer with continuity of employment, he should be good to go. If he had to quit and get rehired, that's a different issue. As for requalifying, that may be a questionable if he gets dq'd.

Article 6 section 9 of the Western:

"Package car drivers who transfer shall receive the appropriate fringe benefts and rate of pay in effect at their new location. Those employees shall also be subject to all contract provisions of the applicable Rider and/or Addendum in effect at their new location."

If the driver doesn't qualify, then what? Does he get the chance to go back to his old position? Is he forced to work inside or quit? Hopefully he qualifies with no issues, but if he doesn't, he should probably grieve it.
He had to quit and get rehired but he kept his same employee ID number and the company is letting him qualify without going back to driving school. In my opinion that is enough to argue that he should not have to go through another progression.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
He had to quit and get rehired but he kept his same employee ID number and the company is letting him qualify without going back to driving school. In my opinion that is enough to argue that he should not have to go through another progression.

Nope. The company is under no obligation to give him top scale again. We had a guy in the same boat, started progression all over.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
WELL THAT'S NOT THE NEWS I WANTED TO HEAR. Damn it!

Sorry. At least our progression rates are better than they were, and the first year rate is higher than FedEx. I assume the person came from somewhere outside the Western Region? It's possible the company could choose to give him top rate, but I doubt they would, and I don't know of any way, under the circumstances, the union could compel the company to do so. Maybe if there were no waiting period between working one place and the next, and they never officially terminated him, there might be some hope.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Sorry. At least our progression rates are better than they were, and the first year rate is higher than FedEx. I assume the person came from somewhere outside the Western Region? It's possible the company could choose to give him top rate, but I doubt they would, and I don't know of any way, under the circumstances, the union could compel the company to do so. Maybe if there were no waiting period between working one place and the next, and they never officially terminated him, there might be some hope.
He came from somewhere in California but he said he quit and got rehired. I don't think he missed a day of work through the process. Figured it was worth a shot to try and get the guy top rate.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
He came from somewhere in California but he said he quit and got rehired. I don't think he missed a day of work through the process. Figured it was worth a shot to try and get the guy top rate.

Perhaps his conceptualization of the situation doesn't match the reality. It seems unlikely that he could get hired back on somewhere else so soon after quitting. You might want to dig into the situation a little more to figure out what's going on. Kudos for going to bat for the guy.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Nope. The company is under no obligation to give him top scale again. We had a guy in the same boat, started progression all over.
About 10 years ago we had a seniority full rate package driver relocate from somewhere out west to New England. He also had to requalify and go through another wage progression.

ManInBrown

He quit and got rehired and he’s keeping his seniority? Sign me up.
Let me ask a question to anyone on here. Has anyone ever heard of wanting to move somewhere, and phoning ahead to the building they want to move to, and asking if they quit, can they be given assurances they will be rehired? I would almost consider it, if I could keep my seniority but had to go thru progression again.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Let me ask a question to anyone on here. Has anyone ever heard of wanting to move somewhere, and phoning ahead to the building they want to move to, and asking if they quit, can they be given assurances they will be rehired? I would almost consider it, if I could keep my seniority but had to go thru progression again.
He quit and got rehired on in a different state. We need drivers bad right now which is why he is going driving so soon. But yes I have heard of several instances where a center manager will call the center a person is moving too and put in a good work for them too get rehired there. Technically there is no assurances, but it always works out if you have a good relationship with your current center manager.

TheGuyInBrown

Here is the trick. Go on to upsjobs and create another profile under a different email. Go through the process, once you get a call for interview, go once there you can talk to the manager and be honest with him/her. Once he gives you the ok, and before HR can move on the application you must turn in your notice and quit the other location with a positive rehire status. if you dont then there is nothing the new lcoation can do supposedly. Even though I did hear corporate in atlanta can change statuses