Contract leader O'brien

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A strike is a real possibility this time bubble. This contract will be put up to a strike vote this time. Then we will see if members will put their money where their mouth is. How would it make you feel as a union steward proud union man if you saw a large amount of members cross the line? Would you want to puke in your mouth? I think I'd puke if I saw that. I guess we will have to have faith. Faith is something I think both of us struggle with sometimes.
If there are any concessions what so ever, then I absolutely hope it goes to a strike vote.
Concessions are for companies that are struggling, or trending backwards.
That hasn't ever been and isn't the case at UPS today.

If I see members crossing the line....???
It isn't in my thought process and if UPS thinks that it is in those who are negotiating our contract, we are all doomed.

After nearly two decades, I think UPS Teamsters are ready to have leadership that will once again awaken the warrior in all of us.
I saw it happen once, it can happen again.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The funny part is the vote no guys say they are fighting because they think 4 year progression guys got screwed yet they want to strike and probably knock guys with less than 4 years out of work
I'm not calling for a strike???
I'm calling for a contract with no concessions, to a highly successful company, who hasn't ever and isn't presently experiencing any hiccups in their operation.

Shouldn't this company be equally, if not more fearful of a strike than the membership?
Isn't that the premise, the only "bargaining chip" that we bring to the table?

......and it's these guys, who claim to be "in the loop", that are telling us that we shouldn't bring it to the table???.....or that we would go SCAB???

Neat

5habits100

I'm calling for a contract with no concessions, to a highly successful company, who hasn't ever and isn't presently experiencing any hiccups in their operation.

Shouldn't this company be equally, if not more fearful of a strike than the membership?

......and it's these guys, who claim to be "in the loop", that are telling us that we shouldn't bring it to the table???.....or that we would go SCAB???

Neat
Did they support a SCAB over you

hyena

New one just came out
It was inevitable that we would go to a six or even seven day workweek. UPS has thought about this for years I believe it was in the last contract not sure about the one before that. This has nothing to do with SO imo. It has to do with the company wanting to compete. I see nothing wrong with that . I want UPS to make money, that's how I make money. I don't get all the negativity about Saturday. From what I'm hearing it's creating more jobs as well...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Did they support a SCAB over you
They supported a better contract by voting no multiple times, and for the notion of different leadership by a 92% vote in the latest International election.

But if your question was, did my Local vote an admitted SCAB in as a Local Trustee, then the answer is yes.
They will learn that was a mistake in due time.

You can bring up all my Local business you want, but it's really not a viable diversion, or relevant to the discussion.

Again, I'm far enough along that I am most likely going to be immune to most of what happens if things are allowed to go further south.
It's the notion of paying forward what I have, to those who follow that concerns me.
I feel as if we owe that to those who did it for us during previous generations.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The reality is his coworkers don't support him.
His thought process will put him and them out of jobs.
My coworkers elected me to be their steward 13 years ago, and to date, I have not been challenged to a single subsequent election.
Must be doing something right?

Why is the notion of no concessions so unreasonable?

Last edited:

10 Pt

It would be a lot easier to fight for everyone's future if they actually fought for their own.

Let the part timers get screwed because they mostly don't even vote.

I do not believe the general public will put up with our work stoppage and seeing that top rate pay yields more in a week that many hourly make in 3-4 wks our cries of corporate greed wouldn't even be heard.

We'd better settle this next one early. Customers who divert after the threat of a work stoppage will not come back.

Neither the company nor the union nor our families can endure a work stoppage.

Calling for a strike against the company and winning language changes because of a strike is very similar to winning a fist fight on the deck of the Titanic.

Better settle this one early, fully explain the contract changes to the bargaining unit members and do it early or kiss 10-20% of our volume good bye.

We have got to be business minded while making $100,000 a year unless you can walk out of this job and make the same benefit package and compensation somewhere else on day two.
I'm not spineless but I'm not naive about corporate America and the customers that pay our bills.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Neat
What issue in this contract are you willing to strike over? Split raises,progression,Saturday delivery......let's face it the biggest problem at ups is working conditions and even if they put awesome language in the contract 50% of members won't stand up for there rights and file grievances

10 Pt

I agree with that.

I don't agree with people that just want to vote no to vote no.

I will wait until negotiations are completed and I look at everything before I decide how I am going to vote.
We also must make sure that our animosity of how the company management has treated us for years does not exceed our common sense when it comes to our futures. Voting no just because we don't like how the company treats us personally and not taking in consideration to the benefit package being offered is childish and short-sighted.

The negotiations must be solid, honest and communicated so that there'll be faith in what is transpiring. The more effort utilized in honest and comprehensive communication prior to voting the less dissention will precipitate.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We also must make sure that our animosity of how the company management has treated us for years does not exceed our common sense when it comes to our futures. Voting no just because we don't like how the company treats us personally and not taking in consideration to the benefit package being offered is childish and short-sighted.

The negotiations must be solid, honest and communicated so that there'll be faith in what is transpiring. The more effort utilized in honest and comprehensive communication prior to voting the less dissention will precipitate.
No more concessions, period.
The have already gotten too many.

10 Pt

No more concessions, period.
The have already gotten too many.
I probably would trade a horse for a Lamborghini. Is that a concession? To give up a lesser issue to gain some language of greater importance.
I am sure that the backbone and face of the UPS brand is their drivers but package is not where they make the most profit.
We have got to think like a corporation because that's the bottom line for those people...
The bottom line.

LeadBelly

Banned
I think the dialogue in these couple of thread about the contract and the new leaders is a good start to get our heads moving in the right direction. Let's hope it's not going unnoticed. Thanks to all who are contributing.

LeadBelly

Banned
I probably would trade a horse for a Lamborghini. Is that a concession? To give up a lesser issue to gain some language of greater importance.
I am sure that the backbone and face of the UPS brand is their drivers but package is not where they make the most profit.
We have got to think like a corporation because that's the bottom line for those people...
The bottom line.
You are making sense right there. Bravo. Whoever you are you are a good soldier.

5habits100

My prediction is members will be more informed.
It will not matter because people are already making signs to vote no in 2018.
Tim Sylvesters face is in that picture.

10 Pt

I know that we have leverage. Our jobs can't be sent to China but if I never got another raise after this CBA is over I would be happy just to have more put toward my pension and lock in the retiree's monthly portion for 5 years.
The part time wage will be addressed as well or they're going to have to replace the entrance man doors with revolving ones.