contract says no cell phones allowed?

brndnpnt

My ups New Orleans, says no cell phones allowed at ups starting Aug 1st per contract. Does anyone have information on this. They are switching to a new security contract in the guard shack also with new guards. Man I feel like I am treated like a criminal.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I started in 1995 and no one, I MEAN NO ONE had a cell phone and we all survived.

You can leave it in the car and get your 0 messages and full Candy Crush lives when you punch out.

Last edited:

upschuck

My ups New Orleans, says no cell phones allowed at ups starting Aug 1st per contract. Does anyone have information on this. They are switching to a new security contract in the guard shack also with new guards. Man I feel like I am treated like a criminal.
My hub goes through this every couple years(clean in, clean out) but always reverts back to allowing them after grievances filed.

If it was in the contract, then they would of enforced it already, not when a new security force comes in.

oldngray

nowhere special
My hub goes through this every couple years(clean in, clean out) but always reverts back to allowing them after grievances filed.

If it was in the contract, then they would of enforced it already, not when a new security force comes in.

Having phones really isn't the issue. That is easily controlled by using stickers on phones. The real problem is some people want to spend more time on their phone than working.

Nostromo

Depends on where you work at. I worked at a center and we could bring in phones/iPods. The hub I work at now doesn't allow phones unless I get a security sticker which requires the original receipt o_O

Sent using Morse code

sportsjock

We can have phones but it's in our supplement we don't have to use them for work. I don't use my personal phone for work. If the office want to reach me ODS me.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Many hubs are banning them for PT'ers due to "security" reasons. It should always be contested under maintenance of standards via the grievance procedure, in my opinion.

We've had too many people in the past have legitimate family emergencies wherein their family members attempted to contact them by calling the listed hub phone number and the company never followed up with informing the employee.

That being said, there are a fair number of people that do abuse their phone privileges (Facebook, texting, etc. on the clock) and that should be addressed individually via progressive discipline (verbal warning, write-up, warning letter, suspension) rather than a sledgehammer solution like banning them from the building.

sportsjock

Yep they started this in our hub this week. They claim their has been a rise in thief. If you have a phone it must be registered with IE with a UPS security sticker on it. Mainly they are targeting the Preload. A few times I have delivered packages and the contents were missing, and I notified my sup that something was going on. I would find receipts from the box on the shelf in the trucks. This didn't start happening until the switch my loader. It's happen to several drivers.

Sent using BrownCafe App