Corner loading, huh? I forget...

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Its called corner something or other, I forget really. I will get the speel on it again tomarrow, bah. This " new " method has been sent down from the very top of UPS. That is to load everything on the shelf, push packages behind other packages, bulk it as far foreword as possible and keep as much as possible off the floor.

Now, I've been doing the same cars for the past 5 years. The drivers dont seem to mind the load or have never complained about it. Yet, it deems UPS higher ups need to retrain its preloaders on how to load a package car correctly.

Generally, the idea that a driver needs to walk back into a car, find a package in the far back shelves ( 5000, 6000, 7000 and 8000 ) cost UPS ( here ) 50,000$ an hour. That pushing bulk, stops and other examples as far foreword will cause the driver to walk less through to that package / stop and collect them and make the delivery. Overall, in my opinion, is to make a huge mess within the cab.

I load cars as it should be loaded. And that is by sequentail order, keeping bulk stops together and loading by air stops with ground ( if it can happen that certain day or not ). I've never had a problem doing this, until now. Now, we need to load as been said, and by the words of my full time soup, it isnt going away. They ( higher ups ) have been here for a few weeks now. They have walked by cars almost each day, questioning this and that.

This isnt like our usual flavour of the month, it seems. Infact, I've had my PT soup and FT soup within my cars and others moving stuff around as their grand leaders suggest. And it looks like crap. Nontheless, they shouldnt be touching packages in the first place, which I've brought up as soon as I saw it and threatened paper. I also said, "Am I to load the car, or are you?".

I dont know if this is happening yet in your center or hub. But it is here in Orlando, and its complete utter garbage from the man. I can see this working with a small center with less them 40 people working it, but not here and many other places in the country or world.

I am giving you guys a heads up on this matter, and will recall the method tomarrow. Would love to see someone load a car with over 300 packages in it all on the shelf. Be on the look out for this BS, as it sits before us here in the Orlando preload. It soon will be in a center near you, thats logistics!

Spread the word, as well please, through your building.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't see anything unusual. If you can get everything on the shelves, great. No driver wants to be bending down for housecalls buried on the floor behind businesses, or running back to stops they could've gotten off with air.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"Lip loading"? I don't think that's new.
Not sure but I think he's talking about moving everything forward to the front corners 1-4k sections and jamming everything together up front, rather than leaving big gaps between sections. Either way, nothing new in the preload.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
"Lip loading"? I don't think that's new.

They want that, but its far more BS related then that. They want you to merge 2000's with 6000's. Press it in there far up as possible, pretty much mash all things together.

I love that fact that they now want to threaten us by write ups with good, great loads by this cause. I say bring it on, and see paper in your future. I haven't had a day where this is allowable. Each and every space within car is a luxury, its us given the task to fill it and they always fill up. It takes a lot of planning and experience to load certain cars out there.

Random_Facts

I get an average of 1200-1350 pieces a day, between 3 large trucks. Was told to "work as directed", aka put the pal labels where they said to put it. No questions asked. So I did. Needless to say the truck was leaning dangerously to the right side. As only 7 boxes were on the left. My head supervisor walks by and she points out, that I need to place packages on the other side as the car is leaning. I told her, 'work as directed'. One way or the other. Needless to say once my driver said his words of wisdom, their little theory was shot down. I went back to loading it the way the driver wanted it. =). After all, why mess with what works.

J

jibbs

Not sure but I think he's talking about moving everything forward to the front corners 1-4k sections and jamming everything together up front, rather than leaving big gaps between sections. Either way, nothing new in the preload.

Huh? Big gaps? Between sections?

I've never seen any of those at the end of the shift... In my experience, drivers are lucky if they can fit a hand between two packages when they leave the center in the morning-- and that's with the entire floor filled with F1-F4 and rear door packages. I would love to see some gaps, man...

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I want as little as possible on the floor. Pack the heck out of the shelves. If I need room to find something on a shelf I'll move a couple boxes somewhere else temporarily. I wish preloaders understood how much time it costs us when stuff is buried on the floor instead of its shelf or put on the wrong shelf.

Also many loaders will stack 10 small packages on the floor instead of taking 1 large box off the shelf. If something has to be on the floor make it a larger box so smaller ones can stay on the shelf.