Coronavirus

Up In Smoke

I call it the Wuhanpandemic.
The blame lays at the feet of the bat eating idiots in China and nothing short of shutting the world down would stop the spread.
My ? Is why didnt we panic like this in 2009 when
"the CDC reported an estimated 22 million Americans had been infected with H1N1 and 4,000 Americans have died."?
Not trying to be a smart ass, but in 2009 we had 10% unemployment ( losing 700,000 jobs per month), the market had dropped 60%, foreclosures were skyrocketing, banks were failing, auto and airlines needed help and we were in three wars. We didn't panic because we had already been through 12 months of garbage before the H1N1 showed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not trying to be a smart ass, but in 2009 we had 10% unemployment ( losing 700,000 jobs per month), the market had dropped 60%, foreclosures were skyrocketing, banks were failing, auto and airlines needed help and we were in three wars. We didn't panic because we had already been through 12 months of garbage before the H1N1 showed.
So we decided to panic and make all of that happen overnight on purpose?

Serf

I don't scratch my head unless it itches and I don't dance unless I hear some music. I will not be intimidated. That's just the way it is.

Up In Smoke

90%+ of the markets are owned by 10% of the population. The market is bought and sold on future earnings. At this point, under these circumstances the big players are reallocating assets based on the uncertainty of those future earnings. This would have been a 10-12% correction had it not been for the virus and a oil war.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Guess where we are headed.

MAKAVELI

I call it the Wuhanpandemic.
The blame lays at the feet of the bat eating idiots in China and nothing short of shutting the world down would stop the spread.
My ? Is why didnt we panic like this in 2009 when
"the CDC reported an estimated 22 million Americans had been infected with H1N1 and 4,000 Americans have died."?

From those numbers, Covid-19 is far more deadly.

Up In Smoke

Sorry wrong thread to talk about the market, but they are forever linked. I believe the virus unknowns out number the known. States, cities, counties and businesses are scared to underact, so they overreact. Which would you rather see.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Sorry wrong thread to talk about the market, but they are forever linked. I believe the virus unknowns out number the known. States, cities, counties and businesses are scared to underact, so they overreact. Which would you rather see.
I would prefer to see rational actions not overreacting. Unfortunately the media has the TDS sheep all worked up into a frenzy, making it politically necessary to take ridiculous steps.

The media really is an enemy of the people at this point.

vantexan

From those numbers, Covid-19 is far more deadly.
129,313 known cases worldwide with 4749 deaths. And in 125 countries now. Growing exponentially. They can shut down the country but will still have to move food. Millions of truck drivers visit every corner of the country every day. The only thing we can do beyond hygienic is wait it out and hope for the best.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
CCADAB9D-B229-4EC2-B32C-CE125E497770.jpeg

Up In Smoke

I would prefer to see rational actions not overreacting. Unfortunately the media has the TDS sheep all worked up into a frenzy, making it politically necessary to take ridiculous steps.

The media really is an enemy of the people at this point.
Unfortunately the population has decided to get their news from polarized sources, left and right. We seem to be unable to think for ourselves.

Indecisi0n

Unfortunately the population has decided to get their news from polarized sources, left and right. We seem to be unable to think for ourselves.
While I tend to agree with this the media needs to be held to a higher standard. Today it's very difficult to know what/where/ who is buying,selling news.

watdaflock?

PolitiFact - Did Donald Trump fire pandemic officials, defund CDC?

Thankfully Congress has kept Trump from totally defunding the CDC.

"The Trump administration’s initial proposals for the budgets for emerging and zoonotic infectious diseases at CDC — a key player in the fight against coronavirus — have consistently been lower than what was spent the previous year.

The administration proposed $61.7 million less in 2018 than 2017; $96.4 million less in 2019 than in 2018; $114.4 million less in 2020 than in 2019; and $85.3 million less in 2021 than 2020.

However, Congress reshapes presidential recommendations as they see fit when they craft final spending bills.

Every year since Trump has been president, lawmakers have passed bills — bills signed by Trump — that not only exceeded what Trump requested on emerging infections but also exceeded what had been spent the previous year."