Correct Seniority Date?

MC0493

Ever since i was hired permanently i've been trying to figure out what my correct date is for bidding, earning time off, getting raises etc. As soon as the dust settles i'm going to get into this with my steward and try to get it sorted but i wanted to stop by here first.

I'll leave out exact dates for obvious reasons but i was hired in November as a casual, did my work and was let go. Then in March i was brought back, did my 30 and got in the union. So on the vacation calendar i have both of these dates listed. Some say the correct date is the first day i was paid at UPS making it November. But the way it's working out is March seems to be the date being used for vacation bidding and such. If it is November I need to get everything corrected and i'm overdue for a raise.

Indecisi0n

If you were laid off as a casual then hired back and did another 30 days. Your hire date is the first day you worked in march.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You have to be called back within 60 days. The language is in your regional supplement. So it may vary

MC0493

It was roughly 10 weeks between my last working day and my first day i returned. I'll check my supplement to see if i can find anything.

Ever since i was hired permanently i've been trying to figure out what my correct date is for bidding, earning time off, getting raises etc. As soon as the dust settles i'm going to get into this with my steward and try to get it sorted but i wanted to stop by here first.

I'll leave out exact dates for obvious reasons but i was hired in November as a casual, did my work and was let go. Then in March i was brought back, did my 30 and got in the union. So on the vacation calendar i have both of these dates listed. Some say the correct date is the first day i was paid at UPS making it November. But the way it's working out is March seems to be the date being used for vacation bidding and such. If it is November I need to get everything corrected and i'm overdue for a raise.
What local are you in?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Your seniority date will be the first day you worked in March.

Did you work the next scheduled work day after January 10th 2016? Which would have been Monday January 11th.

Does not matter. He said he was originally hired in November. This is the free period that does not count toward acquisition of seniority.

Now, if he was hired before October 15, your question may be pertinent.

Teamsters Local Union 177
Drivers Collective Bargaining Supplement Agreement
For the period August 1, 2013 to July 31, 2018

ARTICLE 45 – SENIORITY

SECTION 1
ACQUISITION OF SENIORITY

(b) There shall be a free period beginning October 15th and ending January 10th
in each year, during which no employee can qualify for seniority.

(c) An employee who has been hired prior to October 15th and retained after January 10th or recalled within sixty (60) days after January 10th will retain credit for the number of days worked prior to October 15th. Those days retained will count towards the thirty (30) days worked in a sixty (60) consecutive day period commencing with the first day worked after January 10th.

Your seniority date will be the first day you worked in March.

Does not matter. He said he was originally hired in November. This is the free period that does not count toward acquisition of seniority.

Now, if he was hired before October 15, your question may be pertinent.

Teamsters Local Union 177
Drivers Collective Bargaining Supplement Agreement
For the period August 1, 2013 to July 31, 2018

ARTICLE 45 – SENIORITY

SECTION 1
ACQUISITION OF SENIORITY

(b) There shall be a free period beginning October 15th and ending January 10th
in each year, during which no employee can qualify for seniority.

(c) An employee who has been hired prior to October 15th and retained after January 10th or recalled within sixty (60) days after January 10th will retain credit for the number of days worked prior to October 15th. Those days retained will count towards the thirty (30) days worked in a sixty (60) consecutive day period commencing with the first day worked after January 10th.
I'm from local 177 and thanks for that... I was getting to it....

By The Book

Yes, you're first day in March is your seniority date. Your yearly raise is next March. Your seniority should be listed on the seniority list in your building. Keep track of a few drivers who were hired above you and a few below you. Down the road this could prove helpful if somehow as the list gets updated. I recommend taking a picture of this list for your reference, and it may not be updated just yet.