Cost of Living raise?

S

speeddemon

Anyone heard anything on this? Id like to see them talk thier way out of this one.

BrownSuit

UPS has already announced on UPSers that there will be no additional COLAs.

This is in line with what other businesses are doing nationwide. We aren't the only ones having to tighten our belt.

browniehound

UPS has already announced on UPSers that there will be no additional COLAs.

This is in line with what other businesses are doing nationwide. We aren't the only ones having to tighten our belt.

With the state of the economy and in light of how workers from other companies are fairing, that 35 cents coming Aug. 1st and the other 35 coming Feb. is looking pretty good right now in my opinion.

Many people are getting laid off, many more are taking pay-cuts, and most of the rest are status-quo.

I'm grateful for the raise even if it pales in comparison to the rate of inflation this past year.:disgusted:

outamyway

Technically it's 70 cents. They just decided to split the raise. Now we get half a raise every six months.

Why?

I've been asking that question a lot lately in regards to this company.

upsdude

Technically it's 70 cents. They just decided to split the raise. Now we get half a raise every six months.

Why?

I've been asking that question a lot lately in regards to this company.

Because the Teamsters agreed to it. Also because the Teamsters are going to keep one of them for H&W,wait and see.

browniehound

When the company makes billions you think 35cent is a good raise?

Yes I do when many people are making much less than us to start with and are now forced to take pay-cuts or become un-employed.

How much better off are you than the shippers are recievers you deliver to? I'm sure you make almost twice as much as them, yet they probably have the same level of education as you.

Yes UPS profits hundreds of millions each quarter. They also have almost .5 million employees and many more millions of shareholder. How do you think they should divide the profits? More money for us and less for the shareholders and technololgy development? More money to us and less to upgrading the vehicle fleet and facilty improvements?

Yes, the company is profitable. If you want to share in its proftabilty buy as many shares of stock as you can, that way you can have an ownership stake in the company and have your share in the hundreds of millions of $$ UPS make each quarter.

That brings me to another point. Not too long ago the stock was trading around 70 bucks per share. Now its trading around 58 bucks per share. I'm not a financial expert, but it appears to me that the value of OUR company lost $12 X millions(I don't know the number, could someone enlighten me?) of outstanding shares. In my simple mind it appears the "book value:confused2:" decreased by many billions of $$$ in the last year even if UPS is making billions on paper each year.

So yes, I'm happy.

Can you just answer one question? What do you think us as drivers are entitled to on Aug. 1? $1? $1.25? Either of those would be great, but the fact of the matter is, we will be making 34 bucks an hour by contracts end. Thats 51:greedy: bucks an hour for overtime. I think THAT is pretty darned good:happy-very:

S

speeddemon

part timers in my building voted yes, it was a 50/50 split on FTers. Our union is 100% sold out to UPS. Thanks Hoffa.

BigBrownSanta

Technically it's less than 70 cents since we lost the first 6 months of the pay raise. It comes out to about 53 cents for the year. So, we went from $1.00 an hour yearly pay raises to about .53 cent an hour yearly pay raises.

upsdude

well who voted yes? everyone on here says they voted no, i dont think theyre owning up to their desicions (not directed at anyone specifically just an observation)

A bunch of guys at work said they voted "YES" without a clue as to the contents.

The sorry "Req 8" wording was enough for a No vote from me.

browniehound

I also think its huge that we don't have to pay for health insurance. Massachusetts residents are now required by law to have health insurance or you lose your state tax refund.

I know people that pay $200-300 per month for a family health plan. I pay zero.

We also get money paid by the company to the teamster pension fund. It amounts to a couple of hundred per week. Again, we pay nothing out of pocket. I have taken this for granted in the past, but no longer do.

I don't see too many ads in the help wanted section for which I'm qualified that is for work on days with no weekends, paying $28+/ hour, free health/dental/vision for me and my family, yearly raises, union protection, the opportunity for overtime (this can be viewed as a + or - but I count as a +), and pension fund contributions that don't come out of my pocket.

Has anyone here ever discovered such an AD?

Fact of the matter is, many of us stay because of the compensation package. Many people complain of the job. If you don't like, then just leave. Problem is we can't because most of us have nothing else to fall back on that comes remotely close to what UPS has to offer.

I'm done ranting, I apologize,
Brownie

upsdude

I also think its huge that we don't have to pay for health insurance. Massachusetts residents are now required by law to have health insurance or you lose your state tax refund.

I know people that pay $200-300 per month for a family health plan. I pay zero.

We also get money paid by the company to the teamster pension fund. It amounts to a couple of hundred per week. Again, we pay nothing out of pocket. I have taken this for granted in the past, but no longer do.

I don't see too many ads in the help wanted section for which I'm qualified that is for work on days with no weekends, paying $28+/ hour, free health/dental/vision for me and my family, yearly raises, union protection, the opportunity for overtime (this can be viewed as a + or - but I count as a +), and pension fund contributions that don't come out of my pocket.

Has anyone here ever discovered such an AD?

Fact of the matter is, many of us stay because of the compensation package. Many people complain of the job. If you don't like, then just leave. Problem is we can't because most of us have nothing else to fall back on that comes remotely close to what UPS has to offer.

I'm done ranting, I apologize,
Brownie

I don’t think you’re “ranting” at all, you’re just voicing an opinion on an emotional topic. BTW, most of the issues I have with the contract have nothing to do with money.

I deeply believe the Teamsters are going to take one of our “half” raises for H&W. When they do, it will be the beginning of me paying for my H&W. I do hope I’m wrong on this.

I just wish the H&W payments UPS makes to the Teamsters came directly to me, I could have retired 5 years ago.

FedexExEmployee

All of you can blame TIEGUY for these threads. He sent me a rude private message. I suggest we ban this loser once and for all.
He's such a lowlife....

outamyway

well who voted yes? everyone on here says they voted no, i dont think theyre owning up to their desicions (not directed at anyone specifically just an observation)

The more common people here are probably less than 1% of the total union work force at UPS.