Costco Spat with Coke goes public

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Costco customers may have to look elsewhere for Coca-Cola products now that the retailer has stopped carrying them because the pair are fighting over prices.
The public squabble between one of the nation's largest wholesale club operators and the world's largest soft drink maker is likely to fizzle quickly. But it reveals real tensions as retailers and product makers square off on prices.

As shoppers continue to grapple with the recession, retailers want to win their favor by giving them low prices.

Looks like the Teamster's aren't the only one's fighting in the public eye these days.

I tried to post this in the current events forum but it wouldn't let me. Said something about not having privilege's. Maybe one of you MOD's can fix this problem?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Steve, this happens all the time, mostly in smaller chain stores.

Maybe Coke should put a billboard up or perhaps rent a plane with a banner?

Something like this:

COSTCO UNFAIR TO COCA-COLA

klein

Für Meno :)
I owned a retail grocery store before.
Costco is just going to kick it's own butt on this one.

Since, a lot of corner stores shop there.
And they NEED coke, no matter what.

So, they will be going to another wholesaler to get it, and probably do most of thier shopping elsewhere.

Coke is union with awesome wages.
I'm on the coke side ! :)

Let costco be without coke, and see who hurts more.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I don't drink Coke, or any soda/pop for that matter, so I won't be hurting. When I did drink soda/pop, I drank Pepsi. Come to think of it, I don't shop at Costco either, so I guess I'll sit back and watch how this plays out.:happy2:

klein

I don't drink Coke, or any soda/pop for that matter, so I won't be hurting. When I did drink soda/pop, I drank Pepsi. Come to think of it, I don't shop at Costco either, so I guess I'll sit back and watch how this plays out.:happy2:

Powerade and Danani Water is coke though, even Tropicana Orange Juice.
And some caffeine power drinks, too.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Coke is union with awesome wages.
I'm on the coke side ! :)

Pssst

Costco is also union with awesome wages. I'll take the Costco side.

Pepsi will fill the shelves. And since Costco is large enough, they can even start a house brand soft drink to combat price fixing by coke.

d

klein

Pssst

Costco is also union with awesome wages. I'll take the Costco side.

Pepsi will fill the shelves. And since Costco is large enough, they can even start a house brand soft drink to combat price fixing by coke.

d

Oh I'm sure the small retailer, like lunch trucks, corner stores, gas stations, will switch to Costco pop, and not sell coke anymore, because Costco doesn't carry it.

rod

Retired 22 years
We have 7 major stores in town that handle Coke products. 4 different grocery stores plus Walmart, Walgrens and Target. I watch the sales ads and buy where its cheapest (except Walmart- I hate Walmart- I wouldn't go there if they were giving Coke away). This week its Target - 4 / 12 packs for $12. Someone always has it on sale some place. Some times the cheapest place is at one of the dozen C stores around the area. One place not handling Coke wouldn't bother me. Cheapest I ever found it in the last 10 years was 5 / 12 packs for $9. ( can you tell I'm cheap)?:wink2:

klein

We have 7 major stores in town that handle Coke products. 4 different grocery stores plus Walmart, Walgrens and Target. I watch the sales ads and buy where its cheapest (except Walmart- I hate Walmart- I wouldn't go there if they were giving Coke away). This week its Target - 4 / 12 packs for $12. Someone always has it on sale some place. Some times the cheapest place is at one of the dozen C stores around the area. One place not handling Coke wouldn't bother me. Cheapest I ever found it in the last 10 years was 5 / 12 packs for $9. ( can you tell I'm cheap)?:wink2:

That must be a small town.
Unless you meant to say 7 major grocery chains.

Personally, I don't like pepsi.
Bought it once , because it was on sale, and coke wasn't...
Even talked to the customer next to me... told him, I bought pepsi, was cheaper. even though I drink coke.
He told me, he would have paid the extra buck or 2.
And he was right !
What a mistake I made.

And Tropicana (coke owned) is the best oj, money can buy, in my opinion.
I also like powerade, not Gaterade.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Did you know that Costco is famous for trans-shipping product purchased outside the agreed market each Coca-Cola franchisee covers?

Did you know that most Coca-Cola Route delivery drivers are commissioned sales people that are hurt by Costco?

(Klein - stick a sock in it before you stick your nose in this...understand.)

And those small stores will not switch to some "costco house brand" to replace Coke.

Many Coke houses have agreements to distribute non Coca-Cola products such as Monster Energy, Full Throttle, Canada Dry, Barq's and Big Red.

Those big stores charge the big soft drink companies incredible $$$ in slotting fees, fees for UPC changes, SMA's (shelve marketing agreements) and cooler space. Every facing has a price and space to sales is a thing of the past.

My roots are in the soft drink industry.

These warehouse stores are getting out of hand by telling Coca-Cola, CCE, PBG, Pepsi-Americas, Proctor & Gamble, Abbott Labs, etc...how to their run business.

Coca-Cola builds their CSD business...every single day...increments of one drink at a time.

Consumers resist paying more than 4.99 for a 12pk.

The DSD driver wage is not increasing and distributor's are pressured to go warehouse and eliminate the DSD driver.

And working for Coca-Cola is like UPS. Everyone thinks you have a great job. It is hard for the outside world to understand that it is not all wonderful.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Powerade and Danani Water is coke though, even Tropicana Orange Juice.
And some caffeine power drinks, too.

Powerade had a contract with PepsiAmerica and PBG.
When Pepsico aquired Quaker Oat; Powerade moved to some, not all, Coca-Cola distribution networks.

Quaker Oat is Gatorade's parent Co.

Glaceau and Fuzz is Coke.
Sobe is PepsiCo, so is Starbucks, Lipton RTD Tea.

klein

No offense to you AJ.
But, I wasn't talking about distribution.

I worked in fluid plants for over 28 years (bottling).
Those are good union jobs, even pay double time for OT.

I usually worked an extra day per week, and that alone was $500 gross extra per week.

And hate to start a war with you, but these products you mentioned :
non Coca-Cola products such as Monster Energy, Full Throttle, Canada Dry, Barq's and Big Red.
They are all owned by Coca Cola.
Prove me wrong, but just check the label (coca cola in small print).

Anyways, you might be right with distribution. But inside workers have it great. And , really hard to get into.
You basically need a relative that works there, to get in.

And I bet Pepsi and coke will have a talk, and will charge more then $4.99 a 12 pack.
Just how magical gas stations have all the same increases at the same time.
And Burger joints , too.

PS : just checked a powerade bottle in my fridge. Says Trademark of Coca Cola on it.
Maybe differnet in the US. That , I don't know.

I may have gotten my OJ mixed up.
Checked that, too.
Minute Maid : Product of Coca Cola Canada (in big writing on the side of the carton).

blue efficacy

No offense to you AJ.
But, I wasn't talking about distribution.

I worked in fluid plants for over 28 years (bottling).
Those are good union jobs, even pay double time for OT.

I usually worked an extra day per week, and that alone was $500 gross extra per week.

And hate to start a war with you, but these products you mentioned :

They are all owned by Coca Cola.
Prove me wrong, but just check the label (coca cola in small print).

Anyways, you might be right with distribution. But inside workers have it great. And , really hard to get into.
You basically need a relative that works there, to get in.

And I bet Pepsi and coke will have a talk, and will charge more then $4.99 a 12 pack.
Just how magical gas stations have all the same increases at the same time.
And Burger joints , too.

PS : just checked a powerade bottle in my fridge. Says Trademark of Coca Cola on it.
Maybe differnet in the US. That , I don't know.

I may have gotten my OJ mixed up.
Checked that, too.
Minute Maid : Product of Coca Cola Canada (in big writing on the side of the carton).
Full Throttle and Barqs are owned by coke, canada dry, big red, Monster are not.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
The rivalry between Coke and Pepsi has the same status as the rivalry between UPS and Fedex. Its two (well..four) of the most recognized brands in the U.S.A..