Could Amazon and Uber Finally Dethrone FedEx and UPS?

upschuck

What about the U-Hauls that UPS rents during Peak? I know that we put the placard on the side but are these vehicles required to have a DOT number displayed?
All states require them for interstate commerce, which we carry. For intrastate commerce, which could be done more easily know that Amazon is putting warehouses in about every state, they wouldn't need the numbers. That is how I read it.

FedExRookie

Why is Amazon seen as such a threat to UPS? When's the last time Amazon made a profit?

Do you know why amazon was able to fulfill all their orders this season, why they have their drone program in the works, why they haven't turned a profit?

Amazon is making tons of money, they keep investing any earnings into the company to expand become more efficient. If GAAP and IFRS allowed for R&D to be accounted for differently you would see different numbers from amazon. Amazon built a $20,000 in a $1,000,000 neighborhood. They are now upgrading it to increase its value, they will see the positive equity in a few years.

bbsam

Staff member
What about the U-Hauls that UPS rents during Peak? I know that we put the placard on the side but are these vehicles required to have a DOT number displayed?
Yes they are. Another lesson learned by Fedex. Any defect found by a roadside inspection does not fall on the rental company but on the company renting the vehicle.

bbsam

Staff member
All states require them for interstate commerce, which we carry. For intrastate commerce, which could be done more easily know that Amazon is putting warehouses in about every state, they wouldn't need the numbers. That is how I read it.
I thought intrastate commerce had become relatively nonexistent. Amazon might ship something within a state, but if that item first came from out of state, that final intrastate transaction remains part of interstate commerce.

upscat

It is true...no DOT card needed to drive vehicle rated 10,000 lbs or below. Not considered a commercial vehicle, no DOT card needed.. I know what I am talking about. Here is the definition of a CMV from the FMSCA:

http://fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=383.5

FedEx may require the card to drive it, but not the government. UPS has protocols for driving without a card, for the small PCs Most are over 10,000 lbs now.

you've never seen personal vehicles used to deliver with DOT Placards? you dont think ups would go through the trouble if not required to do you? Not the UPS I know.

upschuck

you've never seen personal vehicles used to deliver with DOT Placards? you dont think ups would go through the trouble if not required to do you? Not the UPS I know.
As I said previously, UPS delivers interstate commerce which requires placard, but not a DOT card carrying driver(under said weight limit). BB correctly stated that interstate refers to the complete travels of said commerce, and not the partial route that we(or any other) carry it.

oldngray

nowhere special
some local couriers will stick placards on cars but they don't need DOT cards. A lot of those I see are old retired guys just driving around town to make a little extra money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used to run off misleads in my personal car on my way home. Our new center manager has put a stop to this saying that I would have to put the placard on my car if I were to do this. So much for taking care of the customer.

PT Car Washer

Why not? I have been a union member for over 35 years. My father is a retired Teamster. Was doing air exception work at the time and had no other vehicles to drive.

oldngray

nowhere special
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/amazon-delivers-biggest-box-nissan-inside-222814289.html

That could have fit in a package car!
amazonnissan.jpg