Could this actually disqualify me?

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
I've been preloading for 2 years plus some change now and finally now have the opportunity to drive. I had to let an accident roll off my record and I had to learn stick and I'm ready to go. Hr gave me a call last night to start the process and I missed the call and am going to have to touch base with them today. Nobody seems to really be answering the phones so I'm gonna have to keep trying I guess.

A little over a year ago I got busted with some weed and a pipe on the way to work. Had a headlight go out and when I got pulled over I guess the cop had smelled it so I just let him have it along with a pipe I stored in the middle console. He took me to station, printed me, gave me a sobriety test, and even drove me back to my car so I could get to work that day. The charges were exactly "possession of controlled substance and paraphernalia".

Meanwhile today at work I let my full time sup know the situation and that I would continue to update her as I go along. (A while back I had to show her my court papers so she would give me the day off for court.) She says "well I'm not sure how that's going to work with your dope situation." I told her I like to think that I have learned from it and I would gladly submit to drug screening if asked.

She seems to think that even though it was not a moving violation in anyway just the fact that I got the charge while I was driving is going to disqualify me and that i needed to have HR email her before I could continue.

I'm currently on diversion and get tested every so often so I'm clean anyway, and I thought diversion means the charge is DIVERTED from your record.

Appreciate you reading this tl;Dr and any thoughts on it are also appreciated.

Faceplanted

Did you get a lawyer to handle this? Or public defender?

You need to find out if you were actually convicted. If you were not convicted of anything ups has no right to not let you drive. FYI sounds like your management has a idea of you being a "dope head" don't be suprised if they find a reason to dq you.

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
Would they have even known you got caught with weed in your car if you hadn't told them? A simple possession charge shouldn't disqualify you, but you might have played yourself by telling them you had weed and a pipe in your car.

Faceplanted

Would they have even known you got caught with weed in your car if you hadn't told them? A simple possession charge shouldn't disqualify you, but you might have played yourself by telling them you had weed and a pipe in your car.
When he told managment he had a court date they could have very easially entered his name into the local mug shot page to see his charges. Charges are just that, charges. Being convicted is another story.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads

I guess my only option is to work hard and kiss ass to get on their good side until I make book as a driver. I'm good at playing that game anyway

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
I mean sht our hub manager even came by 2 days ago and said "hey good job yesterday" to me I really can't imagine management dislikes me that much to DQ me. I work hard and respect all my managers.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I'm currently on diversion and get tested every so often so I'm clean anyway, and I thought diversion means the charge is DIVERTED from your record.
The charge is diverted from trial until you complete the diversion program, then you can have it expunged from your record. Whether or not pending charges show up on a background check depends on your state and sometimes whether or not it's a misdemeanor or a felony.

Probably wasn't a great idea to share all this information with management, or here for that matter. I'm not sure why you thought you had to show them your court papers to get a day off work, could have probably avoided this situation by just calling in sick.

rod

Retired 22 years
I mean sht our hub manager even came by 2 days ago and said "hey good job yesterday" to me I really can't imagine management dislikes me that much to DQ me. I work hard and respect all my managers.

If you actually had someone in management tell you that you were doing a good job consider yourself lucky. Praising an employees is not something found in the UPS playbook.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
The charge is diverted from trial until you complete the diversion program, then you can have it expunged from your record. Whether or not pending charges show up on a background check depends on your state and sometimes whether or not it's a misdemeanor or a felony.

Probably wasn't a great idea to share all this information with management, or here for that matter. I'm not sure why you thought you had to show them your court papers to get a day off work, could have probably avoided this situation by just calling in sick.

Well sht on me for being an honest humble guy then

km3

She seems to think that even though it was not a moving violation in anyway just the fact that I got the charge while I was driving is going to disqualify me and that i needed to have HR email her before I could continue.

She's full of crap. Is your HR office a revolving door? Surrounded by blue vests? She probably just wants to keep you because you show up to work.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
She's full of crap. Is your HR office a revolving door? Surrounded by blue vests? She probably just wants to keep you because you show up to work.

Thanks, I just gotta get in touch with hr and be honest with them about the situation and really play the "I'm embarrassed I stooped this low but I realize now the only thing I can do is learn from it" card

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
...why the :censored2: would you do that? Don't even bring it up. Like i said before, they wouldn't have known about your possession charge if you hadn't told them in the first place. If the only person you told was your FT Sup there's a good chance HR doesn't even know. If they find out via background check, let them find out on their own.

km3

Thanks, I just gotta get in touch with hr and be honest with them about the situation and really play the "I'm embarrassed I stooped this low but I realize now the only thing I can do is learn from it" card

Like Frigid said, HR will determine whether you're disqualified for these reasons or not. You signed up to drive, and now you've been awarded that opportunity. Your FT sup can't stop you.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
...why the :censored2: would you do that? Don't even bring it up. Like i said before, they wouldn't have known about your possession charge if you hadn't told them in the first place. If the only person you told was your FT Sup there's a good chance HR doesn't even know. If they find out via background check, let them find out on their own.

My full time sup told me to tell them what happened and told me to have them email her.. If I don't do either she's going to know?

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
My full time sup told me to tell them what happened and told me to have them email her.. If I don't do either she's going to know?

Don't do it. Telling HR you got caught with weed isn't going to make you look honest and remorseful, it's going to make you look like a dumb-ass. And it's definitely not going to help your chances at qualifying.

If your FT Sup is anything like mine, she's already forgotten what she told you.