Courier school

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Damn 2 weeks!! Is it two weeks straight or broken up?

Here's a bit of advice. Play their game, and learn it "by the book". That way, you'll pass and everyone will be happy that you are "qualified". Then, ride with a courier who has been around for a few years...a good one. They will tell you what to remember and what to "forget" about Courier School. If you do it by the book, you'll fail. Learn to manage your customers instead of letting them run you. Don't do indirects unless they're easy, do not falsify even if they try and force you into doing it, and never trust any manager or HR rep. Keep a running diary of everything that happens around you that could get you into trouble. CYA. Good luck.

Ghostwriter

I may be out of the loop, however- I heard at my station they no longer allow new couriers to ride with veteran couriers. I believe that (now), a new courier has to ride with a manager. I don't think this makes any sense- being that managers do not usually run routes. This may not make sense, yet it sounds like a typical void of logic practice put into place.

Lucho Kaiser

Mine was 2 weeks. Started at 6:00am, ended at 2:30 pm. Was 4 hours away, stayed in hotel hilton gardens, own room was nice paid by fedex. So much time to enjoy the day was great. More of a two week vacation, had the wife come up on the weekend. I drove so they paid mileage which i remember coming out to about double what I spent on gas was cool. Gave a $60 a day food allowance. Hotel had free breakfast, so with $60 for two meals I ate well. Keeps your receipts!! One number is faded on it they'll try to screw you out of that meal reimbursement. Only time I can honestly say fedex was cool. Enjoy courier school, hopefully you'll get to travel away far enough. Local people were always getting forced to stay to handle freight after class and would miss the bar outings afterwards. I remember it all going to hell once I got out of courier school and put on a route. Courier school props you up with all these false expectations and I was severely disappointed once I actually was a courier.

Lucho Kaiser

At my station they still have us take out the newhires for about a week on their route. Usually a swing or the reg guy he'll be replacing if lucky. After that, they go a day or two solo with border routes giving them a hand if available/needed. Then, the manager will generally ride day 3-4 and tell them a bunch of stuff thats backasswards from what the veterans taught them, they get focused on "methods/courier best practices jargon" and it kills their sph and leads to more manger harassment. After a few weeks they realize like us management is clueless and learn to only go by the book on ride alongs, the rest of the time they learn to manipulate it to work for them. Its always sad but interesting to watch their spirit/energy slowly fade just like mine did during this period of time...

abadgti

Mine was 2 weeks. Started at 6:00am, ended at 2:30 pm. Was 4 hours away, stayed in hotel hilton gardens, own room was nice paid by fedex. So much time to enjoy the day was great. More of a two week vacation, had the wife come up on the weekend. I drove so they paid mileage which i remember coming out to about double what I spent on gas was cool. Gave a $60 a day food allowance. Hotel had free breakfast, so with $60 for two meals I ate well. Keeps your receipts!! One number is faded on it they'll try to screw you out of that meal reimbursement. Only time I can honestly say fedex was cool. Enjoy courier school, hopefully you'll get to travel away far enough. Local people were always getting forced to stay to handle freight after class and would miss the bar outings afterwards. I remember it all going to hell once I got out of courier school and put on a route. Courier school props you up with all these false expectations and I was severely disappointed once I actually was a courier.
Did you have to come out of pocket for everything and then you were reimbursed?

vantexan

Ain't that the truth. I went to courier school at the district office which happened to be in the city I worked in. While everyone else got per diems and hotel rooms, I and another guy had to make our own way to school and pay for our meals. The final Friday had to report to station that afternoon while everyone else traveled home. Should've guessed then it would be representative of my "career".

Last edited:

vantexan

They advance you X amount of money for meals. You have to keep receipts and turn in any leftover. Air travel, ground transport, and hotel rooms are handled by the company.

Lucho Kaiser

Everything was out of pocket, I was told for a week before I left they would have a check to give me for "more then Ill use just in case" but it didnt come until a week after I got back so I floated the whole thing.... And had to give them like thirty receipts to sort through. Several receipts got heat damage being in my glove box while their (the ones on heat print paper), so fedex wouldnt reimburse me even when I gave them a seperate copy of my credit card statement of the bill....I had luckily just sold a vehicle and hadnt moved the money out of checking to my mortgage yet so I had that to use. It came out to approx. $125 in receipts I lost out on.

Lucho Kaiser

Ain't that the truth. I went to courier school at the district office which happened to be in the city I worked in. While everyone else got per diems and hotel rooms, I and another guy had to make our own way to school and pay for our meals. The final Friday had to report to station that afternoon while everyone else traveled home. Should've guessed then it would be representative of my "career".

I feel bad for you man its not really fair at all. I remember seeing the look on the faces of the people who were local. As we walked or drove 5 min to a bar for steak, lobster, and good beer on fedex's wallet, they stayed to load freight in their old pre-courier posistion then looked forward to 1 hr commute home. It was messed up, their were several times they did get out with us the tab was always on us I mean fedex lol. We'd mix and match till everyone got a drink, appetizer, meal each time. 6 of us were getting the alottment, 4 were not. They would meet us at he hotel early before class and we hook them up with continental breakfast and what we could.