Court knows threat better than President

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I expected the result but I can't believe the 9th District court issued a statement that essentially says the court knows the real threat assessment versus the President that gets briefed by the Intelligence departments.
This was unnecessary and extremely overreaching in it's scope.
This faux pas by the Court opens up their entire ruling to questioning by another court or the SCOTUS.
Look for AG to combine all cases filed against the EO and file in a court within a judicial district that is not so political.

Returntosender

Come on now it's all political.

Same thing happens at UPS/Teamsters arbitration hearings. The company wants the arbitrator who favored their case in the past.

oldngray

nowhere special
I expected the result but I can't believe the 9th District court issued a statement that essentially says the court knows the real threat assessment versus the President that gets briefed by the Intelligence departments.
This faux pas by the Court opens up their entire ruling to questioning by another court or the SCOTUS.
Look for AG to combine all cases filed against the EO and file in a court within a judicial district that is not so political.

The 9th has more decisions overturned than any other Appellate court.

The EO was only a 90 day hold so by the time it could get to the Supreme Court will be mostly meaningless except to clarify Executive powers.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Do you really think it is political, or do you think it may have to do with an executive branch that has been trying to seize more and more power since the 70's and the judicial branch pushing back since the legislative branch has been giving more and more power to the executive

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Do you really think it is political, or do you think it may have to do with an executive branch that has been trying to seize more and more power since the 70's and the judicial branch pushing back since the legislative branch has been giving more and more power to the executive

It's nice to see the judicial branch let Trump know he isn't a dictator...Yet. Eff you, Trumpski.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's always political.
The Executive branch has been "reaching" for power since LBJ because the Legislative branch has been quagmired in politics and unable to push through laws to address issues.

It will be fine

The 9th has more decisions overturned than any other Appellate court.

The EO was only a 90 day hold so by the time it could get to the Supreme Court will be mostly meaningless except to clarify Executive powers.
Conservatives should be happy when the executive has his power checked. Slow deliberate government with the three branches in conflict, just like the founders intended.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The government didn't make much of a case.
They shouldn't have to in many Constitutional scholars' minds.

I thought it was precious that the Court suggested the President should make Classified information to the 9th District Court to make the government's case. Ha- ha ... that would be like handing over the Classified info to Wikileaks.

BrownArmy

They shouldn't have to in many Constitutional scholars' minds.

I thought it was precious that the Court suggested the President should make Classified information to the 9th District Court to make the government's case. Ha- ha ... that would be like handing over the Classified info to Wikileaks.

The government lawyers' argument was that anything related to national security is 'unreviewable' by the judiciary.

Clearly that isn't the case, nor should it be now, or ever.

And, let's be clear - the ban stands for anyone who hasn't visited the US previously, or held a VISA.

So, partial win for the executive branch.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The government lawyers' argument was that anything related to national security is 'unreviewable' by the judiciary.

Clearly that isn't the case, nor should it be now, or ever.

And, let's be clear - the ban stands for anyone who hasn't visited the US previously, or held a VISA.

So, partial win for the executive branch.
I personally don't understand why Trump doesn't simply issue a new order that complies with the Court's specific objections.

This may all be, at this point, another Trump misdirection to throw the Press off on another tangent.
This is all that is all that is on News Networks right now.

It will be fine

All I know is that the next terrorist attack is on them. Maybe we can have a Sharia law judge judge the 9th District.
And if the next terror attack is another current American citizen that becomes radicalized due to policies like this ban, who's that on? Most terrorists that attack here are home grown now, it's easier for Isis to turn someone than to import one.

BrownArmy

And if the next terror attack is another current American citizen that becomes radicalized due to policies like this ban, who's that on? Most terrorists that attack here are home grown now, it's easier for Isis to turn someone than to import one.

Too soon to bring up the fact that most 'terrorist' attacks in the US lately are white-nationalists?

White Extremists Have Killed More Americans in the U.S. Than Jihadists Since 9/11

Exciting The Right Wing, Trump Downplays Threat Of Right-Wing Terror
http://time.com/3934980/right-wing-extremists-white-terrorism-islamist-jihadi-dangerous/

Last edited: