Cove Driver bidding language in local supplement

AKCoverMan

I am looking for existing language is other areas local supplements dealing with the process for FT Cover Drives filling vacant routes from week to week. I don't want to page thru every supplement..

In our area we have no such practice, we are assigned any route that day according to management desires. I like cover driving but would like the ability to lock in a route of my choosing for a week at a time. The only thing they apply seniority to is whether or not you are working, and even then at times some drivers go out over (slightly) more senior drivers because that driver has the route knowledge.

AKCoverMan

FT cover drivers are only guaranteed the right to work, not the right to choose s specific route.
Yes that's true in my local and apparently in yours. But not in all. I'm looking for those area that have this practice written in their local supplement.

The argument is that obviously some routes are preferred over others and the general principal that preferred work should go to senior employee should apply.

Mind you, I'm not holding my breath. But it is practiced elsewhere and it had to start somehow. Every contract they ask us what we want to see in the contact. So I'd like to propose something. Thought I'd like to see what language already exists elsewhere.

If any. It may simply be a "local practice" with nothing in writing. I'm trying to find out.

fres431

Extended injuries 30 day bid list, you bid it it's yours no trial period. Other then that vacation weeks are Work As Directed

CHALLY9TX

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1447036463.744896.jpg

I was wrong about the 2 weeks prior. They do that in our center though

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
"Swing and coverage drivers shall bid from a weekly center bid list which shall be posted the week prior. Swing and coverage drivers may elect to cover a weekly bid or cover daily vacancies. If a swing driver or coverage driver elects to bid daily coverage work, he/she shall not bump a driver bidding on weekly coverage work. Weekly coverage is defined as those areas open for the entire week."
⏫⏫⏫contract language⏫⏫⏫

Last edited:

By The Book

You may be able to put in a request to cover a bid drivers route if he is gone for more than a week. In some areas they are to bid these for the cover divers (unassigned).

AKCoverMan

"Swing and coverage drivers shall bid from a weekly center bid list which shall be posted the week prior. Swing and coverage drivers may elect to cover a weekly bid or cover daily vacancies. If a swing driver or coverage driver elects to bid daily coverage work, he/she shall not bump a driver bidding on weekly coverage work. Weekly coverage is defined as those areas open for the entire week."
⏫⏫⏫contract language⏫⏫⏫
Thanks. Can you tell me (PM if needed) which local?

And same question I had for Chall.. Are your cover drivers regular full timers without a bid route or some part time/casual category?

By The Book

Cool that helps. I notice is says "utility" drivers. Are cover drivers in your center not classed as full time service providers? Do you have to hold a bid route to be considered full time?
If your a driver on the full time seniority list and don't have a bid route, you are an unassigned driver, in some places called cover drivers.

AKCoverMan

If your a driver on the full time seniority list and don't have a bid route, you are an unassigned driver, in some places called cover drivers.
Some places. Other places I believe Full Time Service Providers and Cover Drivers are different classifications with different seniority lists and pay rates.

In my center we have Full Time Service Providers with no routes who are cover drivers (that's me). We also have some PTers who have other inside jobs but are considered "utility" drivers and can be used if all available FTers are already being used.

By The Book

Some places. Other places I believe Full Time Service Providers and Cover Drivers are different classifications with different seniority lists and pay rates.

In my center we have Full Time Service Providers with no routes who are cover drivers (that's me). We also have some PTers who have other inside jobs but are considered "utility" drivers and can be used if all available FTers are already being used.
If you are on the full time seniority list you don't have to hold a bid route to be considered full time. Your center is like mine.

ManInBrown

My center lets cover drivers bid routes weekly that will be open for vacation. Does not mean you will get to do that route, but they do make every effort to honor the request if it's possible.