COVED Scare - Markets Are Down ... Time For Opportunity?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I have been dollar cost averaging out of my 401k investments 10% per month into Guaranteed Government Securities with my last deduction last Thursday.
I'm sitting at 50% at the moment ...
... thinking about getting back into the stock market if the DOW hits 26,000 or roughly 10% drop.

Question: Do I just get back into the S&P or try and pick individual stocks?
I have made good returns in the past on 'fear based' drops in stocks in the past.

Delta was one that I made over 20% gain in a weeks time in a 'fear drop' back when a plane crashed in Queens after 9/11.
Delta is down today and trading at a P/E of 7 and down 12% in the last two days.

35years

Gravy route
Buy now.
Delta is a good value / fear play. Now at 46 it was 53 when you posted.
Vaccine is close to being developed in Israel...90-120 days out.

But what do I know?

Last edited:

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I have been dollar cost averaging out of my 401k investments 10% per month into Guaranteed Government Securities with my last deduction last Thursday.
I'm sitting at 50% at the moment ...
... thinking about getting back into the stock market if the :didimiss:DOW hits 26,000 or roughly 10% drop.

Question: Do I just get back into the S&P or try and pick individual stocks?
I have made good returns in the past on 'fear based' drops in stocks in the past.

Delta was one that I made over 20% gain in a weeks time in a 'fear drop' back when a plane crashed in Queens after 9/11.
Delta is down today and trading at a P/E of 7 and down 12% in the last two days.

UPS was one of the few stocks that slightly moved up in the last trade, everybody else took a hit. I believe the DOW did go down below 26,000, it is your call but I would seriously think about getting back into the markets again come Monday. Most of mine are in the SP500..kept it simple...Good luck on your decisions.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Buy now.
Delta is a good value / fear play. Now at 46 it was 53 when you posted.
Vaccine is close to being developed in Israel...90-120 days out.

But what do I know?
I bought 3000 shares at $36.42 and felt really good about it.
Now it's $21.51 ... 5 years from now, I should have doubled my investment.
We'll see.

upload_2020-3-20_1-9-12.png

UPS was one of the few stocks that slightly moved up in the last trade, everybody else took a hit. I believe the DOW did go down below 26,000, it is your call but I would seriously think about getting back into the markets again come Monday. Most of mine are in the SP500..kept it simple...Good luck on your decisions.
A third in Delta and a third in S&P and kept a third in Government ST Bonds.

Last edited:

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
It's tough because housing hasn't crashed and also a lot of companies are still going strong unlike in 08. Who knows when this will bottom out?

oil

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
At our age we rarely buy individual stocks. Like to spread the risk in low cost index funds. There is a sector index fund for almost everything now. Not sure if there is a transportation index but now ( 3/28/20 ) with the Dow around 20k seems like a good risk.

We have been slowly moving funds into the s and p 500 the last couple weeks. I haven't looked at the balance sheet since this has all started . I know it's a lot less but am pretty sure it is coming back. A good opportunity is what I am willing to gamble on.