cover driver bidding on a route

instantK

If your a top senior cover driver and a route is open for bid do you have to take it?
IF you decline that route and the person behind in seniority bids it, do they jump you in seniority?

Nimnim

The Nim
If you're a PT cover driver who skips the bid anyone who takes a bid route and qualifies will pass you in seniority for bidding and such. If you're a ft cover driver any PTer bids on it you'll still have more FT seniority than they will.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It sounds as though you want to continue to be a cover driver rather than have a bid delivery route. Does your bid sheet include any bid cover positions? If so, you would simply bid one of those routes and the driver next in seniority would then have the option of bidding the vacant bid delivery route or any of the remaining bid cover positions. You would not lose your seniority position.

instantK

thx that answers my question

I enjoy being a cover driver.... It keeps me on my toes some weeks i can easily do 2-3 different routes...
I also wouldn't mind being a cover driver until a good route of my choice opens up but i'm not sure how likely this it

PT Car Washer

thx that answers my question

I enjoy being a cover driver.... It keeps me on my toes some weeks i can easily do 2-3 different routes...
I also wouldn't mind being a cover driver until a good route of my choice opens up but i'm not sure how likely this it
We have drivers like you. Nothing wrong with it. I guess you would be bored with the same stops everyday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have drivers like you. Nothing wrong with it. I guess you would be bored with the same stops everyday.

We are currently in the bid process. Mgt converted two bid routes in to bid cover routes as these routes were always the first to be cut. They will be bid along with the other routes and those drivers will retain their place on the seniority list.

upsman68

We are currently in the bid process. Mgt converted two bid routes in to bid cover routes as these routes were always the first to be cut. They will be bid along with the other routes and those drivers will retain their place on the seniority list.

Did mgmt put up two new bid routes to cover the ones they converted. I know they should have so many bid routes to cover routes or they like to call them training routes. I do not recall what the percentage is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did mgmt put up two new bid routes to cover the ones they converted. I know they should have so many bid routes to cover routes or they like to call them training routes. I do not recall what the percentage is.

No---they converted two bid routes in to two bid cover jobs. The routes were bid last bid cycle as training routes.

PT Car Washer

Found it in the supplement. 15 package car drivers to 1 training route up to 40 and than 20 to 1 between 40 and 100 drivers.
Still not sure what a bid cover route is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Found it in the supplement. 15 package car drivers to 1 training route up to 40 and than 20 to 1 between 40 and 100 drivers.
Still not sure what a bid cover route is.

We have both casual and FT cover drivers. Casuals have no guarantees while FT cover drivers are guaranteed their 8 hours every day. Bid cover routes are for those FT drivers who do not wish to have their own route. They should probably call them bid cover jobs as opposed to routes but the meaning is the same.

PT Car Washer

We have both casual and FT cover drivers. Casuals have no guarantees while FT cover drivers are guaranteed their 8 hours every day. Bid cover routes are for those FT drivers who do not wish to have their own route. They should probably call them bid cover jobs as opposed to routes but the meaning is the same.
So are casual drivers FT union members ? We have many FT drivers with out a route but have full seniority and bid rights and vacation picks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So are casual drivers FT union members ? We have many FT drivers with out a route but have full seniority and bid rights and vacation picks.

Casual drivers are members of the union. They have to work 36 days in a quarter to get benefits for the following quarter. They get paid personal/sick days as well as vacation weeks depending upon how long they have been with the company. They are only allowed to bid on a route or job if an opening exists.

PT Car Washer

Casual drivers are members of the union. They have to work 36 days in a quarter to get benefits for the following quarter. They get paid personal/sick days as well as vacation weeks depending upon how long they have been with the company. They are only allowed to bid on a route or job if an opening exists.
Do they have any trouble working 36 days in a quarter? Here they would bump inside to work if it got that bad. Haven't had to do that for a few years. All of our jobs are bid for life or an opening comes up. With several retirements lately there is a lot of movement right now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They have no problem making getting their 36 days; in fact, we sometimes have a hard time getting them to come in to work. Of the 3 call-ins we had Friday due to the snowstorm 2 were casuals.

PT Car Washer

They have no problem making getting their 36 days; in fact, we sometimes have a hard time getting them to come in to work. Of the 3 call-ins we had Friday due to the snowstorm 2 were casuals.[/Q
Sounds like the same job. We don't call them casuals, sound more like a temp job. We call ours package car drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We those of us who driver are all package car drivers there are different classifications----FT bid route driver, FT bid cover driver and casual driver. Temp drivers would be called seasonal drivers. We don't have any seasonal drivers in my center.

We those of us who driver are all package car drivers there are different classifications----FT bid route driver, FT bid cover driver and casual driver. Temp drivers would be called seasonal drivers. We don't have any seasonal drivers in my center.
This was the first year we had a few seasonals. Two had an accident and one them their helper got hit by a car. How much did the company save?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We have FT bid drivers, FT swing drivers (basicly no home route), and pt cover drivers ( pt that cover routes when all the FT swingers are running something).