Cover Driver question passing in work offered

Sprinter

Oops.

after Jan. Things slowed down a lot. Basically getting about 13 hrs a week now.

my question is:
if I find part time work somewhere els for 2 days a week (basically the slower days like Tuesday and Thursdays) And I’m asked to work. Can I turn down the work?

Steamer

I’m a cover driver who’s been on for about a year now. When I first started I had a about 40+ hr work weeks.
Are you a 22.4? Regular package driver? Or just seasonal? I'm guessing seasonal. You can turn the work down. But it doesn't mean they will keep you on. Did you sign a seasonal contract?

Sprinter

The position they have me as is a cover driver. I never signed a seasonal contract. I pay union dues and I got my insurance not too long ago. Not sure if this info helps.

Sprinter

Go on unemployment. That may prod them into giving you more work. Don’t turn down work if offered...
I wwas on unemployment. Long story but it ran out. And I work just enough now not to b eligible for it.
Just trying to float till vacations for RFTers and 22.4s start picking up again.

JustDeliverIt

Oops.

my question is:
if I find part time work somewhere els for 2 days a week (basically the slower days like Tuesday and Thursdays) And I’m asked to work. Can I turn down the work?

Problem is that if you turn down work they aren't going to keep you. Ask if you can work preload the days they aren't going to have you drive.

The other option is that there is always a few FT drivers that will go home regularly. Find out who they are and ask them if they want the day off and run their routes, especially Mondays and Fridays. Those guys usually will always take a long weekend

Sprinter

Problem is that if you turn down work they aren't going to keep you. Ask if you can work preload the days they aren't going to have you drive.

The other option is that there is always a few FT drivers that will go home regularly. Find out who they are and ask them if they want the day off and run their routes, especially Mondays and Fridays. Those guys usually will always take a long weekend
Aaahhh. Yea I work Preload whenever they ask. Didnt know I can ask FTers if I can run their routes. But what about seniority and other cover drivers in front of me? Could that cause a problem?
if not... I’ll start doing that this week. 👍🏼

Porknado

Everything is subject to seniority, but if a senior driver volunteered to go home and you were standing there you’d probably get sent out unless someone above you wanted it.

Edit: as far as side gigs go, just get something that starts after PCM time. In my limited experience it is highly unlikely they call you in any later than start time/PCM time.

JustDeliverIt

Aaahhh. Yea I work Preload whenever they ask. Didnt know I can ask FTers if I can run their routes. But what about seniority and other cover drivers in front of me? Could that cause a problem?
if not... I’ll start doing that this week. 👍🏼

Not sure how big your building is, but we have 2 centers in mine. Each boxline has a guy or two that would go home a few times a week. As far as seniority goes here, this would be outside of that. The FT driver was staffed and you are extra. In my building you get the route with the guy you talked to and are letting him/her go home. Seniority staffs the others ahead of you, they can't swap because you found a route.

542thruNthru

I’m a cover driver who’s been on for about a year now. When I first started I had a about 40+ hr work weeks.

Oops.

my question is:
The short answer is no.

You took the position knowing you were a "cover" driver is what UPS will tell you. If you're not available to cover than you'll be disciplined and then let go.