Cover driver question. ..

Cuban100%

I started working exactly one month ago at UPS as a loader.

I put my name on the list for a cover driver and they called me.

Is not weird that I have not seniority and they called me for a cover driver? ???

Sent using BrownCafe App

I started working exactly one month ago at UPS as a loader.

I put my name on the list for a cover driver and they called me.

Is not weird that I have not seniority and they called me for a cover driver? ???

Sent using BrownCafe App
Nope they are at a point where they have to take what they can get. Hiring off the street is getting close in some areas. We have guys getting in with six months.

Rainman

Its all good.
Yes, it is. But so many drivers are getting hired right now across the country that the available pool of people to draw from has been exhausted. You've walked into a very good opportunity. Good luck and I hope you make the best of it.

There have been a few threads posted recently from new drivers/drivers in training. Read up and take the advice given. It will save you a lot of headache in the long run. When you start driving, lean on the experienced drivers for advice. Most are willing to help as we've all been where you are now.

Good luck.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

Cuban100%

Is a good opportunity but. I have a full time job making $38k. I don't know what to do because who knows what happens after pick season

Sent using BrownCafe App

Cuban100%

In order for me to accept this job, I have to leave my full time. I'm not sure how many hours I will be doing as a cover driver.I have a family and i'm scared not make the same amount of money

Z

ZQXC

In order for me to accept this job, I have to leave my full time. I'm not sure how many hours I will be doing as a cover driver.I have a family and i'm scared not make the same amount of money

You will be thrown to the curb as soon as peak is over.

Cuban100%

I think my best option would be ask for a Personal Leave and once the peak season is over I'll get my job back.
I work in the office doing Import & Export, I like it, but there is no future in this company.

Work right slow and safe

I would suggest talking to the lowest cover driver in the center and see how much time they spends driving. If u have more then one driving center ask them all. I have been a part time cover driver for the past 7 years never worked a full year as a driver. Jan - April back to the hub

Sent using BrownCafe App

Legitimyze

I would suggest talking to the lowest cover driver in the center and see how much time they spends driving. If u have more then one driving center ask them all. I have been a part time cover driver for the past 7 years never worked a full year as a driver. Jan - April back to the hub

Sent using BrownCafe App

What is the pay like compared to full time driver and a part time package handler?

Cuban100%

Sent using BrownCafe App

Sent using BrownCafe App

Tomorrow I have the Interview with the HR, let's see what she says.

Work right slow and safe

Tomorrow I have the Interview with the HR, let's see what she says.
Well they told about 5 to 10 drivers including me dont worry you can quit your full time job you will never go back to part time. Well guess what they lied to all of us. Hr does not have a clue to what the centers do with any of there drivers. Well good luck just remember they only look out for the company not the employees

Sent using BrownCafe App

Work right slow and safe

What is the pay like compared to full time driver and a part time package handler?
In the west (cali) covers get paid 70% of top pay but thats after a few years. If I remember right it starts off at 60% then 65% after 2years 70% 3years and up. Also remember when we get the yearly rate increase we only get 70% of it at cover driver. Fhp and opw are only paid to 4hr at your part time pay sick days get paid at 8hr but only take 4hr from you at driver pay if you were scheduled to driver. Fhp and opw days are being worked on they should be paid the same as sick days but cover driver language is very vague.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Legitimyze

In the west (cali) covers get paid 70% of top pay but thats after a few years. If I remember right it starts off at 60% then 65% after 2years 70% 3years and up. Also remember when we get the yearly rate increase we only get 70% of it at cover driver. Fhp and opw are only paid to 4hr at your part time pay sick days get paid at 8hr but only take 4hr from you at driver pay if you were scheduled to driver. Fhp and opw days are being worked on they should be paid the same as sick days but cover driver language is very vague.

Sent using BrownCafe App

So as a cover driver it is highly likely you will be back at preload? Will you keep the same pay rate as a cover driver?

It just seems kind of confusing, what if you are only the cover driver for the holiday season, is that even enough time to make better pay than a package handler?

Work right slow and safe

So as a cover driver it is highly likely you will be back at preload? Will you keep the same pay rate as a cover driver?

It just seems kind of confusing, what if you are only the cover driver for the holiday season, is that even enough time to make better pay than a package handler?
Each and every center is different. Your pay will not stay the same it will change by your job type so if ur driving then driver pay, back to part time part time pay and so on. Right now the company is preparing for peak and they are loading up on drivers so they dont have what happened last year at peak not enough drivers. As a cover driver you are never guaranteed any work unless they schedule you. from what they are doing u will not be working but peak for now. You will loose all your vacation sinorty due to the fact you will now need to pick with the drivers.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Legitimyze

Each and every center is different. Your pay will not stay the same it will change by your job type so if ur driving then driver pay, back to part time part time pay and so on. Right now the company is preparing for peak and they are loading up on drivers so they dont have what happened last year at peak not enough drivers. As a cover driver you are never guaranteed any work unless they schedule you. from what they are doing u will not be working but peak for now. You will loose all your vacation sinorty due to the fact you will now need to pick with the drivers.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Sorry if I am being too specific, but I have a few more questions.

If I am a seasonal driver, then go back to pt package handler my pay will adjust accordingly. So if I go back as a seasonal driver next year will I still get the minimum driver pay again? Or is there any sort of progression for seasonal (doubtful but just curious).

The main thing, will being a seasonal driver help at all as far as being a full time driver. Or if I just stay as pt package handler until the time comes, will there be any difference as far as wait time? Since its all based on seniority, it should not matter what you do until the time comes correct?

Work right slow and safe

Sorry if I am being too specific, but I have a few more questions.

If I am a seasonal driver, then go back to pt package handler my pay will adjust accordingly. So if I go back as a seasonal driver next year will I still get the minimum driver pay again? Or is there any sort of progression for seasonal (doubtful but just curious).

The main thing, will being a seasonal driver help at all as far as being a full time driver. Or if I just stay as pt package handler until the time comes, will there be any difference as far as wait time? Since its all based on seniority, it should not matter what you do until the time comes correct?
Correct does not matter its all by seniority but in the west not sure were you are but its starts are progression to full time pay.your pay as cover driver will go up by years worked even if your not driving but peak you still get credit for the year.

Sent using BrownCafe App