cover driver with questions on going ft

can anyone tell me what this magic number of 156 means and what it has to deal with going ft driver,because today i was told i am about to go ft because of the 156 number i didn't have chance to ask my union rep because he was off today so i would have to wait until monday.

40 stops to freedom

if a tcd works 156 reports outside of peak the center is supposed to open a full time driver position that the most senior person who signed the bid sheet gets dibs on.. it wont go to you if you worked 156 reports unless you are the most senior part timer who wants to be a full time driver

barnyard

KTM rider
In our area, cover drivers are full time unassigned drivers. We do not have part time cover drivers

My center just started using TCD in the past year or so. They worked most of peak this year and typically work on Fridays during the rest of the year.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I see what you're saying, it could be abused in some places, but that's just not how it is here. Almost all of our new FT drivers were TCD's. None of our TCD's have been driving more than 3 years.
I'll take the guaranteed hours and full time pension credit any day of the week.
I got more hours than I wanted (2400)..... but you're right on the pension credits. That's an issue that needs to be addressed in the next contract. If 156 reports creates a friend/T position and gives the TCD friend/T vacation for the next year, it should also give them friend/T pension credit for that year.

ChicagosPrimeMinister

What rhmyes with UPS?
Worked my 1st year as a cover driver,
2103 hours.

I don't mind being a cover driver because I can take my vacations whenever I want, I don't have my own route.

Browndriver5

With a four year progression, I'll pass.
I wouldn't do this job for $18 an hour. TCD's here are paid $29.249, no reduction in pay when they eventually go friend/T.

Cover drivers get screwed in our center. Unless you are top four on the cover driver list you never drive only peak and a couple of days in summer yet they want you to be available everyday. I'd much rather start out at $18 an hour than put up with the bs of a lower seniority cover driver