Cover Driver

gman042

Been around the block a few times
We are not a large center and we basically have 2 guys that should know every route. One guy does......the other claims knowledge but when it comes down to it the "knowledge" just is not there. This is when the card is played forcing CD 1 to cover the routes CD2 should learn.

UPSGUY72

You know 30 routes and have no clue what your doing everyday. Ups will throw you any which way as they see fit. I know 5 so I have a general idea where I will be and I get paid the same as you. Who's the dummy now?

I know exactly what I'm doing everyday. I'm pushing cardboard.

Some people (like yourself) like doing and seeing the same stuff every day I like change. Some weeks I do 5 different routes other weeks I do the same route all week. Some days I'm in the city other days I'm out in the country.

I'm also not bidding a crappy route just to have a route like some people. I'll wait and learn some more and see which ones I like enough to want to bid on them when they open up.

Future

Victory Ride

Some people (like yourself) like doing and seeing the same stuff every day I like change. Some weeks I do 5 different routes other weeks I do the same route all week. Some days I'm in the city other days I'm out in the country.

I'm also not bidding a crappy route just to have a route like some people. I'll wait and learn some more and see which ones I like enough to want to bid on them when they open up.
You Roll Junior ..... you will see the light one day!

upsgrunt

When I got my first bid route I was relieved. It certainly wasn't the best route, but it was MINE, and I knew exactly what I was doing, and exactly where I was going everyday. I never enjoyed that uneasy feeling in my gut not knowing until 5 minutes before start time or getting sent out blind with a map, a pickup log, and a pat on the back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I got my first bid route I was relieved. It certainly wasn't the best route, but it was MINE, and I knew exactly what I was doing, and exactly where I was going everyday. I never enjoyed that uneasy feeling in my gut not knowing until 5 minutes before start time or getting sent out blind with a map, a pickup log, and a pat on the back.

There is nothing like having your own route. You set your own routine and can pretty much set your watch by where you are at any time of the day. I have the added bonus of living on my route so I know the bathroom will be clean and the fridge fully stocked.

A few years ago I covered one of my old bid routes for the day. This was a country run with about 170 miles, 80-90 stops and 4 pickups. It was nice to have a change of scenery for the day and a break from my city run.

Indecisi0n

You are correct I do prefer to do the same route all the time. My idiot dispatcher still gives me change from add/cuts that certain bids routes shouldn't have. I want to punch him in the face. /rant off.

ibleedbrown

lol what if upstate and indecision are the same guy????

guy-opening-door.gif

S

selfcancelsignal

This is an interesting thread. I'm still pretty much below cover driver at my center. I have decent area knowledge on pretty much every route we have & wanna learn most all of 'em... Except for the 3 that deliver near the college campus in our area. No thanks to those 3rd floor secretaries telling you, "No, that doesn't go here, you need to go down to the 2nd floor. It's the office way back in the NE corner." Talk about frustrating. Laughs.

S

selfcancelsignal

That sounds like laziness on the part of the on-road too. Or a crappy center manager. He doesn't have to send him out there blind. He could go with him instead of sitting at the center. Or if he must go blind, send an air driver to take some work so he learns without the full dispatch. If you need your cover driver to learn something, then teach, manage.
Now you know that, & I know that, but quite simply, we both also know it ain't gonna happen.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
This is an interesting thread. I'm still pretty much below cover driver at my center. I have decent area knowledge on pretty much every route we have & wanna learn most all of 'em... Except for the 3 that deliver near the college campus in our area. No thanks to those 3rd floor secretaries telling you, "No, that doesn't go here, you need to go down to the 2nd floor. It's the office way back in the NE corner." Talk about frustrating. Laughs.

College campuses can be fun to deliver especially the first nice day in the spring. Talk about distracted driving.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

College campuses can be fun to deliver especially the first nice day in the spring. Talk about distracted driving.

I deliver on campus and will drive back through campus even though I don't have to. : )

The manager of the bookstore likes to remind me that I have a soon-to-be 30 year old daughter.

I respond with "ok, I'll write that on here, and bring it there tomorrow" I used to do that with county offices, and they would usually sign and call that person. If not, you made a fair attempt on it.