Cover driver?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by BucsGuy, Oct 15, 2018.

1. BucsGuy

BucsGuy Member

I got hired as a part time package handler/cover driver. My first 5 days I just drove AIR for 2 hours a day. The past few days I’ve worked 8 and 9 hours doing air in the morning. Coming back to the center. Then meeting other drivers. To take some of their packages and delivering them myself. Also they have me picking up bulk stops from UPS stores. I don’t know what to consider my job title. Or even what I’m getting payed. Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Boxslinger11

Boxslinger11 Next gen teamster

if you are delivering ground make sure you get top driver rate for the DAY

3. BucsGuy

BucsGuy Member

I don’t wanna say anything. If I piss them off it’s more reason for them to disqualify me

4. Boxslinger11

and then youll say that after your 30 days and then you're screwing the center out them putting up another ft bid........

5. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

That would depend on where he is. I don't think cover drivers work that way, but we don't have them, so I'm not sure.

@BucsGuy, find your shop steward and get the low down on what your rights are.

6. Boxslinger11

i clearly cant read you got me i thought he was air driving

7. BucsGuy

BucsGuy Member

I’m sorry for my ignorance. But I don’t know what any of that is haha. I’m an outside hire

8. Boxslinger11

all you gotta do is find the guy on your shift thats looks like they have a pair and ask who the steward is

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Brisket

Brisket Active Member

Ask any driver who the steward is, they will point you to them.

10. zubenelgenubi

Since you are an outside hire, that means you have not reached seniority yet, and don't have full rights as a union member, but the contract still applies. Most people keep their heads down and do what they have to in order to reach seniority. Once you do, be sure to hold the company to the contract.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. BucsGuy

BucsGuy Member

Do these days count towards my 30 or qualifying. Since I’m not being trained on a route

12. Boxslinger11

any day you punch in counts

13. BucsGuy

BucsGuy Member

So even if I haven’t been trained on a route. I can qualify as a driver after 30??

14. zubenelgenubi

Again, I'm not sure on the rules for cover drivers.

15. Boxslinger11

if you punch in on the diad thats all that matters

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. BucsGuy

BucsGuy Member

Thank you!!

17. Box Ox

Box Ox ♞▀▄▀▄♝▀▄

You’re a preloader who runs exception air on an as-needed basis. Although you are being taken advantage of if you’re delivering ground at the base air rate because management knows you won’t say :censored2: until you’ve achieved seniority and can’t be let go for any reason.

18. Box Ox

Box Ox ♞▀▄▀▄♝▀▄

No. They only qualify you on the PT driving side. And that’s probably only if you’ve already achieved seniority. Could be wrong on the latter part. Never known somebody to come in as a preloader and go straight to exception air.

19. Mr.Blonde

Mr.Blonde Member

If they dont give you an honest chance and make it a point youll be passed through by default. As long as your steward is for you and your in the union.
    So you got hired as a part timer and then asked while we are hiring you do you wanna cover drive and do air?

My centers rate is $30.77 for TCD air is like $14 or $15 but you work m-f and saturday air is time and a half. If your pay isnt segregated then they probably are f***ing you

20. BucsGuy

BucsGuy Member

I got hired as a cover driver/ package handler. I’ve been working m-f. Yesterday I worked till 630 meeting other drivers bringing them packages. And taking misloads from them. Also brought a bulk stop to a driver helped him with that. Then had a bulk pickup. And delivered probably 20 ground packages