Cover Drivers/Management Calling While You Are On Vacation

How do you feel about receiving work related phone calls when you have the day off/on vacation?

• Total voters

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am on vacation this week and my cover driver has already called me twice. While I certainly don't mind helping out when I am on the clock, when I have the day off or am on vacation that is my time and I prefer not to be bothered by anyone at work.

How do you guys feel about and/or deal with this?

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
I am on vacation this week and my cover driver has already called me twice. While I certainly don't mind helping out when I am on the clock, when I have the day off or am on vacation that is my time and I prefer not to be bothered by anyone at work.

How do you guys feel about and/or deal with this?
A driver no problem...
Management...well they just know better.

Brown Matrix

He Starting To Belive
Well you are correct not to get involved with mqnagers and sups while on your down time. That is company related. Now the cover driver who is trying to get his or her feet in the door. Dose not know the ins and outs of your route. That 9.5 stress monkey on their back. You know Management cant t and wont assist, they dont know you route other than what they dispatched and a orion plan.
Your helping an young hourly is differently cool. Your helping a salaried sup or manager differently not cool.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I never hesitate to give information to one of my cover drivers over the phone. I remember being in that situation, and know how much it helped me.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
I will only call the driver if absolutely necessary, like verifying that a pickup is supposed to be picked up later or earlier than what is on the board if a customer says something, or to ask about an address I cannot locate. The drivers I have called have been fine with it.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I make up cheat sheets when i was at my regular route... copies of apartment complexes and i circle the leasing office locations to indirect them if they do accept residents' packages...

problem resis that has gate codes or dogs, some have preferred DR locations besides FD

Misplots that are a mile in the wrong direction from what our fedex maps say

Businesses or resis on major highways. I ususally jot down front desk or rear receiving door numbers for those businesses.

Lately my local Wal-Mart have stricter receiving hours now, and front customer service will accept HDs packages if its not a bulk stop (whatever i can fit on a shopping cart for their site~ to~ store)

~~~~~~~~

Alas, im back to a swing cover driver and appreciate those drivers that does the similar thing to what i did above...

8 Hour Day

I make up cheat sheets when i was at my regular route...

Exactly. I have the most used info on a sheet above the windshield, the rest in a folder that stays in the truck.

Some of the swing drivers give me grief for "babying" the noobs since they got no love when they started out, but I just don't see the sense in being a jerk just because someone was a jerk to me.

As for management, it truly depends on the individual. If it's a team player, I'll answer, if it's one of the finger pointing do nothings... Nope.

Either way... Your phone, your decision. During peak, I don't even bring it to work.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I dont baby the cover who is now doing my peak route... i gave it to him and say it's there for u to use it or not.

Ill answer a few texts calls for the first week, then he's on his own

Venture over to the purple section to see why and how much easier FedEx HD is...

Brown Matrix

He Starting To Belive
As a cover driver you should have a small dairy to keep track of all the different need of the customer. That a lot of data to learn over time you will memories them but starting out you need a cheat book. Gate codes, DR side door, in box on side of house, left at...This will save you a lot of time and frustration. remember the drive dose his route over and over so he knows the ins and out you may cover 10 routes. It should be in your Diad under notes.LOL There A second reason to keep notes you need to in form your Mg team of the needed information for these routes.Some centers do some don't.

BoxStomper69

Goldmember
I don't mind if they call. The info could be valuable to him and it keeps the customers happy.
It's also a nice reminder that "This guy's working, I'm not! (Now where did I set that beer)." :wink: