Cover Drivers: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!

wrecker

"He slid down the stair railing on his back porch and got a huge splinter lodged in his butt cheek, which had to be surgically removed."

Sometimes the truth is the best. That guy had a rough couple days back. I think I even told some resi customers that asked where he was. All in good fun.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I have used many different lines. "What? He hasn't already been here today? I'd better check on him.", "his wife shot him last night", "His bail bondsman cut him off", others I can't think of right now. I even tried "He has the day off" once, but it was way too boring.
Oh, yeah...my fav has always been, " They fired him".

I usually roll with "He's being lazy" or "It's his retirement practice week." I don't miss cover driving that much. I can't believe the difference a good loader makes though. As a cover driver, you really get to see who's a good loader and who isn't. When I show up and find out that I have a route with a poor loader, my day instantly slows up by at least half an hour. I do all of my methods, but I do occasionally hustle off my first 20 stops or so. I like to get ahead and then slow down toward the end of the day. Always pleasant with the customers whether they're nice or not. I don't drive with the bulkhead open. Although I have had a few cars with jinxy doors that you think latched and when you pull away come flying open again. I don't shut it at that point till my next stop because I don't want to stop in the middle of the street and I'd rather my concentration on the road. Never leave garbage in the car, but if the car is a sty, it stays that way.

some1else

Banned
"He slid down the stair railing on his back porch and got a huge splinter lodged in his butt cheek, which had to be surgically removed."

Sometimes the truth is the best. That guy had a rough couple days back. I think I even told some resi customers that asked where he was. All in good fun.

the best is "you didnt? hear? didnt you WATCH THE NEWSS!! omg" then run off screaming lol

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
I have to people who actually have to capability to cover my route close to as I do. One is a slob and I have to curse him out every time he covers my route because of all the trash and "pit stop" bottles he leaves behind. I keep a clean truck (trash wise) and can't stand for there to be things all over that aren't packages. He's gotten slightly better but he still needs work. The other is great to the customers and to my truck. Most people shy away from my route because it's mostly business to our local mall so it can be overwhelming at first just not knowing where to go and where the delivery points are. Once you figure that out then it's not so bad.

I have to people who actually have to capability to cover my route close to as I do. One is a slob and I have to curse him out every time he covers my route because of all the trash and "pit stop" bottles he leaves behind. I keep a clean truck (trash wise) and can't stand for there to be things all over that aren't packages. He's gotten slightly better but he still needs work. The other is great to the customers and to my truck. Most people shy away from my route because it's mostly business to our local mall so it can be overwhelming at first just not knowing where to go and where the delivery points are. Once you figure that out then it's not so bad.
Next time Mr. Slob leaves a mess in your truck, get a DR bag, put all his trash in it, and give to him the next morning in front of as many people as you can.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
Next time Mr. Slob leaves a mess in your truck, get a DR bag, put all his trash in it, and give to him the next morning in front of as many people as you can.
We'll see Monday if he had my route today. It felt weird but good having a day off outside of vacation. I never thought they'd make it down the list to me for that. If he does leave a bunch of crap i'll show bag it and bring it to the PCM. :)

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
We'll see Monday if he had my route today. It felt weird but good having a day off outside of vacation. I never thought they'd make it down the list to me for that. If he does leave a bunch of crap i'll show bag it and bring it to the PCM. :)

Take a picture of it as well. You can post the picture in the How's the View thread.

InTheRed

During my "cover" years, you definitely learn a lot about the other drivers you work with.

You learn that some really run and gun, most do a good job, and some are real slouches.

I'll always remember this one route I covered. Whenever anyone did it, even first day blind, they always came in 2 hours earlier than the normal guy. What was really frustrating was that the normal guy was always trying to give away stops and get work moved off his route. I had to go help him mid-day once and I waited in a parking lot for him to come out of 1 optometrist's office and it took him 15 minutes to deliver 2 packages. That was a good indication on why he always 'needed' help.

Being a cover guy was cool because it always kept it fresh and you never got too bored or too routine with any areas. The downside was that whoever had a "bad day" would always take the day and you'd wind up with the short end of the stick... everyday.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have learned to detach myself from whatever happens on my route while I am on vacation.

When I am not working it is no longer "my" route it is "his" route. And they are no longer "my" customers they are "his" customers.

If the guy does a great job and makes the customers happy, that is a good thing. If he does a crappy job and makes the customers unhappy, it isnt my problem and at least I will get some small satisfaction of knowing that I was missed while I was gone.

If the guy leaves me with a bunch of bogus undelivered NSN's and other assorted BS, I will just clean the mess up and be paid by the hour. Same thing goes if he is a slob and leaves trash in the truck, I will make $26 an hour to clean up after him. Most janitors would kill for that kind of money.

The only thing that I cant stand is someone who smokes in the truck. The stench lingers for days and I cant stand it.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
That's a good law. Can't wait till they pass the "no urination/bowel movements", in shared company vehicles, law.:sick:
Wait till your on a rural route...you might think a little differently if you have to go and the closest restroom is 10-20 miles away. It should however be a LAST RESORT. Thank God my route is mostly business so I usually have a pit-stop (outside of the truck that is). I am however for no BMs in the truck.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Wait till your on a rural route...you might think a little differently if you have to go and the closest restroom is 10-20 miles away. It should however be a LAST RESORT. Thank God my route is mostly business so I usually have a pit-stop (outside of the truck that is). I am however for no BMs in the truck.

The nice part about being a guy is that the world is your urinal.

If you have been on a rural route for any length of time, you should already have a few favorite trees in secluded spots.

Another little trick is to park on a blind corner in a spot where you arent visible from any houses. With the motor off, you can hear if cars are coming from either direction. Just open the passenger side door and let it all hang out. The package car shields you from view from behind, and if you are quick about it there will be no witnesses.

My rural area also includes farms, vineyards and areas where logging is taking place. Most of these locations have a porta-potti.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
When I was covering, it was try to do just as good as the regular driver. As I almost always covered rural routes, that was hard sometimes. I hated covering for a slacker- I just couldn't do the same thing as this one guy- He never picked up call tags. I would have 25-30 calltags to handle, and he did that to all the cover drivers.
Now that I am in feeders, when you cover my run, I don't care what you do, YOU DON"T TOUCH MY MIRRORS. I can fix the seat, I can readjust the dash lights, I can pick up the trash, I can vacuum the floor. BUT DON'T TOUCH MY MIRRORS.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
When I was covering, it was try to do just as good as the regular driver. As I almost always covered rural routes, that was hard sometimes. I hated covering for a slacker- I just couldn't do the same thing as this one guy- He never picked up call tags. I would have 25-30 calltags to handle, and he did that to all the cover drivers.
Now that I am in feeders, when you cover my run, I don't care what you do, YOU DON"T TOUCH MY MIRRORS. I can fix the seat, I can readjust the dash lights, I can pick up the trash, I can vacuum the floor. BUT DON'T TOUCH MY MIRRORS.

That the way I feel about my pkg car. One of the guys that covers my route is like 6'5" tall. I always have to readjust the seat, the visor and worst of all, MY MIRROR's!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sorry guys, I don't give a damn who you are. If I need to re-adjust your mirrors for my safety then I will do so and there is not one thing you can do to stop me.

Personally I think you're being pretty fricking selfish to expect me not to.

wrecker

Hate to tell you, but when I cover your route, it's my truck.

Need to have the mirrors and seat where I can operate the vehicle safely.

It never bothered me when the cover drivers moved them.

The carwash is a different story. No need to adjust the mirrors to drive around the yard.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Didn't say don't do it, just stated that I hate when it gets done. Be as safe as you like, sniff, sniff.:sad-little:
Is there any difference. You're not liking it makes no difference to me and you saying you don't like it puts pressure on me to not do it. No you didn't say don't do it you just implied 'don't do it'. Where's the fricking difference?