Cover drivers working over layoff drivers - Pay rate?

Conundrum

I am currently on layoff and another building in the same city as I am in (about 5 miles from my building) has been using cover drivers instead of calling to ask our laid off drivers if they would like the option to work. I was told that I could file because they used a cover driver to work but also was told that because I am not yet max pay, that I should be paid max pay because that is what the cover driver was paid. Is this true? If so, what should I include when I file?

Another question is I was also told that while on layoff that the employees should not have to pay union dues? I am not sure if this is true or not so I just wanted to see if anyone knew?

Thanks!!

Conundrum

Unfortunately, no stewards have been in the building and available for me to talk to them about this which is why I posted for some answers. I am not sure now if it would even be too late to file because the layoff occured two weeks ago.

slantnosechevy

Unfortunately, no stewards have been in the building and available for me to talk to them about this which is why I posted for some answers. I am not sure now if it would even be too late to file because the layoff occured two weeks ago.

Like brownslave said, find a steward or get his phone number. Most contracts state wage claims must be filed in 20 calendar days. If it's allowed, pay will go back for 60 days.

InsideUPS

I am currently on layoff and another building in the same city as I am in (about 5 miles from my building) has been using cover drivers instead of calling to ask our laid off drivers if they would like the option to work. I was told that I could file because they used a cover driver to work but also was told that because I am not yet max pay, that I should be paid max pay because that is what the cover driver was paid. Is this true? If so, what should I include when I file?

Another question is I was also told that while on layoff that the employees should not have to pay union dues? I am not sure if this is true or not so I just wanted to see if anyone knew?

Thanks!!

Greetings Conundrum..

One of the first things I would do if I were you is to obtain a copy of your contract book. Visit your Local and they should provide one for you free of charge. While you are there....you may want to talk with the Business Agent. If you are taking a layoff.....you may also want to check about bumping two part-time employees on the inside at your own building (as permitted in the Central Region Supplement)

In regard to:

Q1) I was told that I could file because they used a cover driver to work...
A1) If the other building is within your same Local, you should have bumping rights to that building based on seniority. Again...Layoff language is normally outlined in your "Region Supplement" (middle of the book)... Does this cover driver have more seniority than you?

Q2) but also was told that because I am not yet max pay, that I should be paid max pay because that is what the cover driver was paid. Is this true?
A2) In our Local, I do not believe you would be entitled to any more pay than where you are at in your progression.

Q3) Another question is I was also told that while on layoff that the employees should not have to pay union dues? I am not sure if this is true or not so I just wanted to see if anyone knew?
A3) Once again, visit your Local and ask about a "Withdrawal Card".... A withdrawal card is normally signed when someone is on disability...

In summary....give a call to your Local or speak with a Union steward... Considering the number of Locals represented on BrownCafe....the advice given to you may not apply.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Unless that building is part of your centers, then you don't have a case. It goes by building seniority. At least in my experience. We have another building about 15 miles away and they don't pull from us at all. And there's no recourse anyways. By all means though talk to a steward. That's just the way it works in my neck of the woods.

barnyard

KTM rider

If you are laid off, you have time to call your union hall and get the number of a steward or you could just talk to a business agent.

You are making this way more complicated than it has to be.