Cover driving

Browndriver5

I have looked all through my local supplement and cant find anything about a current situation I have. I have worked for UPS for 5 years and been cover driving for a year. I am near the bottom of the cover driver sonority list so I have another job, my other job allows me to drive on Wednesdays throughout the year when needed at UPS. Well I was recently told that if i'm not available everyday starting November 1st management can disqualify me. Is this true?

upschuck

I have looked all through my local supplement and cant find anything about a current situation I have. I have worked for UPS for 5 years and been cover driving for a year. I am near the bottom of the cover driver sonority list so I have another job, my other job allows me to drive on Wednesdays throughout the year when needed at UPS. Well I was recently told that if i'm not available everyday starting November 1st management can disqualify me. Is this true?
PT cover driver or FT cover driver?

upschuck

I read where you can turn them down 3 times a month and they don't have to ask you again but nothing about peak season driving
If that is what is says, then there is no differentiating between the 2, work when they need you, or they will find someone else who can. Wednesdays are usually the heaviest days here, and when most needed.

I have limited knowledge of PTCD(my center doesn't use them) so take that for what it is worth.

Browndriver5

If that is what is says, then there is no differentiating between the 2, work when they need you, or they will find someone else who can. Wednesdays are usually the heaviest days here, and when most needed.

I have limited knowledge of PTCD(my center doesn't use them) so take that for what it is worth.

It'd be different if I drove a good bit through the year, but I don't. We have two different sides in our building and the side I'm on has less volume than the other side so if I don't have this other job then I would make around 20k a year with driving and pre load

542thruNthru

I'm assuming you are a PT cover driver. In my local we have PT cover drivers also.

Yes you will be disqualified if you do not work when scheduled. It is nearly impossible to have a second job when you are a PT cover driver.

If you want to have another PT job outside of UPS. I recommend leaving PT cover and just do Saturday air if possible.

Browndriver5

I'm assuming you are a PT cover driver. In my local we have PT cover drivers also.

Yes you will be disqualified if you do not work when scheduled. It is nearly impossible to have a second job when you are a PT cover driver.

If you want to have another PT job outside of UPS. I recommend leaving PT cover and just do Saturday air if possible.

If you aren't in the top 4 cover driving wise in my building you never driver. Or I wouldn't have another job

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I say this as a management employee.

I can't figure out why in their right minds the union would allow PT Cover drivers. You are basically at the mercy of management. It's like a FT job some places and others you never drive, but you're always expected to be available. We don't have them here, but when I read it on the forum I'm always shocked that the union would openly be okay with it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I say this as a management employee.

I can't figure out why in their right minds the union would allow PT Cover drivers. You are basically at the mercy of management. It's like a FT job some places and others you never drive, but you're always expected to be available. We don't have them here, but when I read it on the forum I'm always shocked that the union would openly be okay with it.
All these employees that deal with it everyday have to do is demand it gets changed come contract time.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm with you I'm completely dumbfounded by the fact that they'd allow this but it's pretty much all RTW states.

The southern supplement gets :censored2: on every contract but somehow it passes by the largest margin every time.
My favorite about it is the lower pay rate. So we have to pay an PT Air Driver top rate for touching ground. But not a TCD. Wut? It's the dumbest position at UPS.

Browndriver5

I'm with you I'm completely dumbfounded by the fact that they'd allow this but it's pretty much all RTW states.

The southern supplement gets :censored2: on every contract but somehow it passes by the largest margin every time.

Because we have a bunch of people who know nothing about the union book in our building. It's sad. I bet most people that start at UPS don't even know what a union is down here

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I see that. Its crap, especially when you get a call at 10:00 to come cover a route when you were just in the building. Like how in the hell do you not know you have a route sitting there for almost two hours
It's not that hard actually. The hour before start time is crazy. If you're in a big building it could happen. It shouldn't happen, but I'm sure it does.